Sign in with
Your question

My New K7N2G-L

Last response: in CPUs
May 15, 2003 9:27:25 AM

I just buy MSI K7N2G-L but the temperature rise from 55 C in the K7VMM2 by Elite to 65 C in the MSI. is this normal? since i already change the heatsink and fan. but still 65 C... please help me...

More about : k7n2g

May 15, 2003 9:36:15 AM

The temperature is bit high. What CPU are you using? Do you OC?
May 15, 2003 9:48:37 AM

My CPU you can ignore it. it has no brand. my power suply 350 watt. i'm not OC, but i don't know how to set up. if i insert the Athlon XP 1,7 w/o change any jumper and bios. the temp is 63 C. i'd try change the heatsink and fan. but it still the same. oh yeah, i gotta tell you, if 1'st time i turn on my computer, the temp is 50 C and keep raising till 63 C then up and down from 63 - 67 C. what should i do?
Related resources
May 15, 2003 12:17:41 PM

Sounds like you've got something wrong in there... Three possibilities.

1) You've got the heat sink mounted improperly. Remove and check it for proper contact. You can do that with thermal paste. Remove the pre-installed heat pad if you haven't already, clean the CPU and HSF, then put a small amount of heat paste on just the processor, install the HSF, then remove it and look at the HSF to see if you have a good contact patch.

2) You may have way too much voltage going into the CPU. Check your BIOS and make sure you have it set properly. If you're running an Athlon Palomino, you should use 1.75 volts. If you have a T-bred XP1700+, then use 1.5 volts. A good way to do this if you're unsure about how to set it up is go into the BIOS and simply select "Setup Defaults" and that should default everything automatically.

3) The temperature monitoring itself may just be messed up. Have you checked these temperatures in the BIOS "PC Health" section, or are you using other software? Check the BIOS monitoring to see what that says. Sometimes these temps are off a bit, but not usually to the extent that you are experiencing. You might try a BIOS flash to see if that helps with inaccurate temperatures.

Good Luck.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!
May 15, 2003 4:12:23 PM

I have the same motherboard. It is a great board, but I noticed that my temps were extremely high also, almost exactly like yours. Go to the MSI webpage and download the latest bios. One of the fixes is it adjusts the reading of the temp sensors. Once you perform the flash, you will most likely be in the low 40's. This is a common issue.

Also, tell me if you can adjust your CPU core voltage. Whenever I change mine at all I cannot boot and have to clear CMOS.
May 15, 2003 6:44:46 PM

Thanks Dude... Your Informations are great. 1 more : i have AMD athlonXP 1,7. in bios if i set the cpu fsb clock to 133 the temp goes up about 2 C. now i set it to 100 Mhz. but my AMD only run at 1,1. what do u think? should i run at 100 / 133 ? thanks.
May 15, 2003 9:25:17 PM

I am having a hard time reading your post, but I assume you mean you have an AthlonXP 1700+ and you notice it runs hotter at 133Mhz than 100Mhz.

Your CPU, the 1700+, was designed to run at 133Mhz. The temperature you see while it is running 133 is normal. It is actually underworked when you run it at 100.

I notice that it is easier to not monitor the temperature so closely. It is just unwanted stress, especially if you become a psychotic temp monitering nazi like I used to be. Just rest assured that your CPU is running stable at the speed that it is supposed to run at and if there is a problem then your motherboard will shut itself down automatically.
!