Difference Dimension 8400-processor in the USA vs the Neth..

I'm considering to buy a Dimension 8400 in a not too distant future.
Here in the Netherlands the Dimension 8400 is fitted with a Pentium4
processor 550. On the Dell-US site I saw that in the US the computer
has got a Pentium4 630.
Is the difference between the two worth while some waiting till this
upgrading will take place in the Netherlands (Europe ?) too ?

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 08:36:45 +0100
"wederik" <wederikNOSPAM@chello.nl> wrote:

> I'm considering to buy a Dimension 8400 in a not too distant future.
> Here in the Netherlands the Dimension 8400 is fitted with a Pentium4
> processor 550. On the Dell-US site I saw that in the US the computer
> has got a Pentium4 630.
> Is the difference between the two worth while some waiting till this
> upgrading will take place in the Netherlands (Europe ?) too ?

Find the difference by choosing both processors the comparison page:

http://indigo.intel.com/compare_cpu/default.aspx?familyID=1

and end up with:

http://indigo.intel.com/compare_cpu/showchart.aspx?mmID=867291,861636&familyID=1

Apparently the major difference between the two is the amount of level 2 cache, 1MB vs. 2MB. Without knowledge about how long it takes for the new family of processors to appear on the european websites and what price they will be in comparison with the old offerings, no serious answer can be given if it's worth the wait. And even if those variables were known, the question of whether it's worth the wait could only be answered by yourself.

Since both offerings use the same chipset, I wouldn't worry too much about this processor upgrade and order the system at the time it's convenient to you.

Hans

Hans S wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 08:36:45 +0100
> "wederik" <wederikNOSPAM@chello.nl> wrote:
>
>> I'm considering to buy a Dimension 8400 in a not too distant
future.
>> Here in the Netherlands the Dimension 8400 is fitted with a
Pentium4
>> processor 550. On the Dell-US site I saw that in the US the
computer
>> has got a Pentium4 630.
>> Is the difference between the two worth while some waiting till
this
>> upgrading will take place in the Netherlands (Europe ?) too ?
>
> Find the difference by choosing both processors the comparison page:
>
> http://indigo.intel.com/compare_cpu/default.aspx?familyID=1
>
> and end up with:

http://indigo.intel.com/compare_cpu/showchart.aspx?mmID=867291,861636&familyID=1

> Apparently the major difference between the two is the amount of
> level 2 cache, 1MB vs. 2MB. Without knowledge about how long it
takes
> for the new family of processors to appear on the european websites
> and what price they will be in comparison with the old offerings, no
> serious answer can be given if it's worth the wait. And even if
those
> variables were known, the question of whether it's worth the wait
> could only be answered by yourself.
>
> Since both offerings use the same chipset, I wouldn't worry too much
> about this processor upgrade and order the system at the time it's
> convenient to you.
>
> Hans

Thanks for your quick and informative response !
wederik

wederik wrote:

>>Apparently the major difference between the two is the amount of
>>level 2 cache, 1MB vs. 2MB. <snip>

>>Hans
>

> Thanks for your quick and informative response !
> wederik

I was reading some stuff yesterday about the new dual-core Pentiums and
there were few comments about cache size. They seemed to think that
going from 1MB to 2MB L2 cache would not give significant performance
benefits, in general use.

John

right. this article should help...
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2353&p=3