CPU Temp and +3.3V Current volatage question

devren

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
I just replaced a motherboard in my computer as the last one craped the bed exactly a year and a day after I bought the computer thus the warentee lapst. lol Anyway, I finished installing the mother board and I'm runing the smartguardian that came with it and its telling me that the cpu is fluctuating between 51 and 52 degrees C while Idle, I havnt played with it yet so I'm not sure how much its going to increase when I start playing games. But I'm not to worried about that as I have been reading posts from some of you that said not to worry to much unless it starts to get near 80C and as long as it doesnt fluctuate to much. So if you guys have any suggestions for me please let me know and the Chasie (SP?) is running at 30C

Anyway My main question is, is it ok that my +3.3V is running at 2.86V as it is in the Red on the smartguardian screen.

System Specs:
Soyo SY-KT400 Dragon Lite
Amd 2000+
512MB 2100DDR
WD HD 80
ATI 9700 PRO
Antec True Control 550 wat PSU

Thanks guys.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
2.86 volt would be dangerously low for the 3.3 volt rail.

I suspect your monitoring software has got your voltages mislabeled. What is listed for the memory voltage? This is usually beween 2.5 and 2.9 volt? Is it close to 3.3 volt?

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>

devren

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
Vcore 1.76V
+3.3V 2.86V (In Red)
+5V 4.51V
+12V 11.39V
DDR 2.49V
AGP 1.48V

Edit - Is it possible I have a bad PSU, I just got it yesterday. And is It possible I missed hooking up a wire?

Also the Bios says that the Die Temp is 69 degrees.
I opened up the case and have a another fan blowing air into the side which seems to have helped dramatically, but If there is something wrong I need to fix it or return my Mobo as I just got that yesterday aswell.
Thanks<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Devren on 05/15/03 12:05 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

devren

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
Also, I have been trying to run some games to test it out.
And I am able to run the game for about 3-5 seconds max of 8-10 and then the computer locks up and I have to use the power button to turn the computer off. And this is with having the side panel open and a standard house fan blowing air in the side. which has the cpu down to 41C and the Chase to 25C

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Hmmm, what is the 3.3 voltage in BIOS? Is it the same low 2.86 volt?

Yes, it is possible you have a bad power supply.

With mobos with VIA chipsets you need to install the Hyperion (formerly 4-in-1) chipset drivers. Games will crash if you don't do this. At the very least, redo the chipset drivers, though.

Whenever possible uninstall chipset drivers, video drivers, and DirectX and then reinstall the all of them. This will give you a clean install and the best results.

Download Motherboard Monitor 5 and see if it confirms your low voltages.

Get the VIA Hyperion drivers below.

<A HREF="http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2" target="_new">http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2</A>

devren

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
I'm currently useing the Via 4in1 Drivers that Soyo Provides. I first Installed them from the CD that came with the mobo in order then I went to there web site and Downloaded the newest versions they offered again in order. I can try uninstalling them and reinstalling them again.

So your suggesting that I uninstal the drivers but DO NOT restart my system then reinstall ALL of the drivers and finally restart the system? As XP automatically reinstalls my video drivers and a few other little things.
Checking my bios now.

Edit - Bios are exactly the same. And with the external fan I have been able to get the Die (sp) temp down to 60C, though I'm not sure if I need to be worrying about that. Even though without the external fan its 69C and thats just Idle
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Devren on 05/15/03 12:43 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Now I'm convinced that your 3.3 voltage is bad. Check your connections. If you have another power supply test your system with it.

To do a clean install the Hyperion drivers, run the install once and select the uninstall options. Don't reboot when prompted but rather run the installer a second time. This time let the components install. You will have to reboot for the install to take affect.

To do clean install of video drivers just uninstall them normally. Reboot then reinstall.

DirectX is trickier. You need a utility to uninstall. I don't use XP so I don't have the one you need. I'll do some research and get back to you but I know there is a DirectX uninstaller for XP.

Looks like DirectX Eradicator (ver. 1.09) has been updated for Windows XP but it's only in Beta form.

<A HREF="http://www.freewebs.com/firecat/" target="_new">http://www.freewebs.com/firecat/</A>

I think there is another utility. I'll keep looking..

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 05/15/03 01:16 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

devren

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
Hey man I really appreciate your helping me. And youll love this, Accourding to mbm5 I'm in enven worse shape lol
Its showing that My 12v is just barely 10v

I don't have another psu but I can go take a drive and pick one up. LOL I bought the antec one because It came Hightly reccommended lol Guess I should have done some more reasearch as I am now hearing that they run low. Anyway, since your going to look for the directx trick im guess I'm going to have to go find a psu. I should be back in about 30 min or so. Thanks again.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I was hoping you had another PSU to test with before you spent money.

If its not too late I have another suggestion. Strip the system down to the bare minimum. Disconnect the drives and case fans from power. Leave only the motherboard, CPU, memory, video card, cpu fan. Boot the system and check the voltages in BIOS. If voltages are now OK then something you disconnected or removed was causing a problem. From there it would trial and error to find the offending component.

I still think it is the power supply that is the problem but the preceding is worth testing.

devren

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
OK, I just got back Ill try that first and then if that doesnt fix the problem I'll try the new psu, any luck finding the directx uninstaller for xp? And thanks again I appreciate your help.

rcpiolet - I bought the True Control as it cost an more then then True power, and thus I assumed that it was a better drive, and according to the manuel that came with the psu it is a True power psu the only differance is that it came with a fan control panel that you can install in a 5.2 bay drive. If you guys think that the true power that came with the true control might be a lesser quality I will just get a standard true power as it will save me some cash.

RCPilot

Champion
No that's fine. I just wanted to make sure it was a True Power & it is. I've never heard of the True Control. Must be a new product from Antec or one that I have never delt with. Go figure.

Myself if you do want to save some $$$ I'd take it back. Because the True Power has 2 smart fan connectors on it for case fans only. If you connect your fans to those two leads on the PSU it controls the fan speed automatically. I'm running the 430 True Power & have 4 case fans hooked up to it & you can't here the case running. So if you were looking for quiet, you get that automatically with True Power. The control panel might be fun to play with, but if you want to save the $$$ just get the True Power & you'll be happy.

I'll stand aside & you 2 solve this problem. Your in good hands & on your way to getting it sorted out. Good luck I'll be watching.

Honey, what's that smell? Don't bother me now I'm working on my computer! OOPS!

devren

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
Np, I appreciate the attention lol, I would rather have someone tell me that I made a mistake then keep makeing it over and over or as in this case, being stuck living with the mistake and not even knowing why. So thanks for the input.

Ok I have some good news and some bad news. lol
The good news is that with the new 430W psu my system reads like this

New Old
Vcore 1.74V 1.76V
+3.3V 3.24V 2.86V (In Red)
+5V 4.97V 4.51V
+12V 11.77V 11.39V (though bios said it was 10.01v)
DDR 2.49V 2.49V
AGP 1.47V 1.48V
So it looks like I'm golden with the new psu as the largest gap is only about .05v (save the 12v). So thank you VERY much for helping me with this.

As for the Bad news, I have to return the 550v which means I need to pay for shipping again (lol paid for 2nd day air the first time) and then see if they will let me exchange it for a new 550w or just give me my money back. though If I do that Ill probobly lose 15% puss $30 in shipping thus tossing almost half the price lol.
But I'm still having the problem of the cpu running hot. Any suggestions on that one? Well I'm off to see if my games run now with the new psu or if I'm going to have to redo all my drivers. I'll give you all a heads up in a few mintues and thanks again.
Devren

devren

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
Well I'm going to reinstall the via 4 in 1 drivers but This time ill use the hyperon drivers instead of the ones that came with my board.

Also Did you happen to find the direct x uninstaller?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
No luck on that other utility. Way too many hits when I search for DirectX and uninstall.

I can't remember for the life of me the name of the utility.

Sorry to hear about the high shipping charges. I guess some things are worth buying locally, low dollar, high weight items, especially.

As for your temps. You will get different temp readings from one mobo to another. Plus if your new mobo reads the CPU die temp directly then you might get a reading much higher than you expect.

Is the CPU temp different (lower) in Windows than in BIOS. Some software can't read the die sensor, in which case it reads the socket mounted sensor. This might give you a more familiar temp.

Other than that, your temps depend on a lot of things. Do you have a Tbred or a Palomino? The latter would run hotter. Do you have a factory or an aftermarket HSF? If you have a Palomino XP2000+ with stock fan I wouldn't be surprised at all if it ran in the 50's or even 60's.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 05/15/03 04:38 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

devren

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
The external temps in my bios reads the same as the temp that I get from the software, only the bios is giving me the die temp.

I belive I have a Palomino with the stock fan as the Tbreds were just coming out when I bought my cpu. And if thats normal then I'm very happy.

Well I went into safe mode to install the via drivers and I just finished reinstalling everything save driectx and my puter is running like crap lol. I'm about to load up a game and see if I crash again. Wish me luck lol. Talk to you in a bit and thanks.

devren

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
*sighs* No luck. I can't think of anything else to do save for trying tu uninstall the hyperon drivers then try to install the drivers that came with the board again. This time aroudn I can't even make it into the game.
Any suggestions?

Edit - Alright heres a bit of a question, I'm able to play some of the more low teck games, cosmic rift. *looks totaly confused* I assume that means that one of the files are corrupt? Or does it mean I need to unisntall and reinstal all of my games?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Devren on 05/15/03 05:45 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'm stumped. It usually works but why did you install the VIA drivers in Safe Mode? Did you run into problems installing from Windows?

Don't get angry because I'm asking this but did you remember to connect the auxillary power connector to your 9700 PRO when you installed the new power supply?

devren

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
LOL, Ofcourse I did lol, but that was a good question. One thing I have been tooling with is instead of useing the y cable that connects the video card to my hard drive is to use one of the 4 pin connectors. I havn't done that becasue I was afraid I might burn out my video card or something.

I installed them in safe mode because it wouldn't let me have the video card and 4in1 uninstalled at the same time. And it automatically installs the video card upon start up. *Sighs* I guess I can try it again.

This is what I am doing
Load up the hyperon drivers click normal leave all three boxes checked click next click the uninstall button for the 2 ones it gives me a chioce for when it askes me to restart I say no. I then load up the drivers again leave all three boxes checked then leave the radio button on install for the 2 choices. when it says restart I say no.
I then uninstall all the software and drivers associated with the video card. (I tried installing the video card here but it says that it is missing a file) But I cannot remove the card from they system - devicemanager. I restart the computer. then the Install the video card. Restart. Load up a game and crash. Then smack my head.

RCPilot

Champion
Man O Man, it's got to be the MOBO or the OS. I don't want to ask stupid questions, but have you done a clean install of the OS & loaded all the drivers in the correct sequence when you did a clean install?

If you've done that, then it has to be the MOBO.

phsstpok, if it isn't either of them, then I'm lost & would have to have it in my hands to be able to get to bottom of it. I'm with you on this & the advice you gave is right on as far as I'm concerned.

Devren, Man I'm sorry if this won't help you. I can give no further info than you've already gotten here. You may be further ahead at this point, unless your willing to change major parts to narrow it down, to get a good tech. to diagnose the entire system. I sorry I can't offer you more advice & that I've failed you somewhat. I'm still thinking, but I'm thinking I want it in my hands at this point.

Good luck.

RCPilot

Champion
I reread your post on the way your doing the install. It may be all mucked up. Can you do a clean install? If so give it a shot & format that thing, with nothing but the MOBO, CPU, HSF, I stick of RAM, ROM, & VID card. If you can load the OS (which I hope that we're talking XP) It should give you all the drivers to get going. If you can't get there, it's a MOBO or some part of the system. Have to diagnose after that.

If it takes. Next I'd go to Windows update & update the OS with all the updates Reboot it several times.

Next I'd load the MOBO drivers & reboot the hell out of it again.

Last I'd load the vid card drivers & reboot it again several times. If your stable to this point your home free.

Next I'd add 1 piece at a time, reboot the hell out of it to make sure it took. If something gets wacky. Its that part. If you can't get past the first part, it's wacky.

That's pretty much how I'd tackle it. Depends somewhat how it reacted to each step, as to how I'd go from that point as it reacted.

Hope this helps.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Sorry I wasn't clear. Uninstall then reinstall the Hyperion drivers. Reboot when prompted the second time around. Then uninstall and reinstall the video drivers.

It's the VIA drivers that are most important. They get messed up so easily.

AGP should be properly activated when you install the video drivers which is why its better to load the chipset drivers first. The video drivers tune themselves based on what hardware you have. If AGP isn't running correctly the video drivers tune for PCI mode.

None of this will make any difference if something else is the cause of your troubles.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I don't know. I've been burned so many times by the wrong combination of driver installs on VIA mobos that I now always go with chipset drivers, video drivers, and directX, all three every time before I think about troubleshooting anything else. So many times this alone IS THE FIX.

Thanks for the vote of support.

RCPilot

Champion
No prob.

I'd just like to get the thing going for him. VIA's can be tricky & I won't argue about that.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
This is the main reason I keep telling people to pass on Antec and get a REAL power supply, made by the FSP group. They are sold under the brand names Sparkle Power, Aopen, Power Man, and PC Power & Cooling.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>