Defective Media Center Edition 2005 cd from Dell.. Can any..

Hi,

I have a Dell labeled Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 cd that i got
with my system.
A few weeks ago i wanted to reinstall the whole thing, but after a few
minutes into install it failed because the cd was unreadible.

I tried again and again, but no luck.
So i decided to install my copy of Windows XP Home for now.

I called and emailed Dell for a few weeks now, but they refuse to send me a
new cd... I called
many times, but they will not send it. (They refuse to send a replacement
after a month i heard, but they it was running fine, so)

Because i just want a Dell version of MCE2005 (i have a Dell licence and key
for that) i won't install a regular OEM copy.
But, if someone could supply me with a copy of the discs or just the files
that i need to make a regular
OEM copy to a Dell copy -that doesn't need a key and activation on a Dell-
that would be great.
That way i could just use those files (about 12mb) on a regular OEM copy of
a friend..
I hope someone could help me out and could upload the needed files to my
XDrive account:
http://plus.xdrive.com/u/109040099/927141702rPPNfm8mypnwZU5r71T

Thanks,

Allegro.

P.S: If you have a Dutch version of the cd, the whole copy would be great,
otherwise those 12mb of files would do.

The files i need from the Dell labeled MCE2005 cd:

-------- The needed files ---------
In folder \I386:
DPCDLL.DL_
EULA.TXT
NT5INF.CA_
OEMBIOS.BI_
OEMBIOS.CA_
OEMBIOS.DA_
OEMBIOS.SI_
PIDGEN.DLL
SETUPP.INI
SETUPREG.HIV
UNATTEND.TXT
WINNT.SIF

In folder I386\WIN9XUPG:
WIN95UPG.INF

Then you could archive it with Winzip or WinRar.

You could create a batchfile that copies the needed files, from in my case
the G: drive (cd-rom) to the folder C:\XPbios.

Copy and paste this to a new txtfile (notepad) :

@ECHO OFF
:START
MKDIR C:\XPbios
MKDIR C:\XPbios\WIN9XUPG
COPY G:\I386\DPCDLL.DL_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\EULA.TXT "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\NT5INF.CA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.BI_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.CA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.DA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.SI_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\PIDGEN.DLL "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\SETUPP.INI "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\SETUPREG.HIV "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\WIN9XUPG\WIN95UPG.INF "C:\XPbios\WIN9XUPG\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\UNATTEND.TXT "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
COPY G:\I386\WINNT.SIF "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V

Save as for instance XPbios.bat -you may have to edit location of cd and
folder-, then save it and double cick it..

On C:\ there is a new folder created called XPbios with the needed files,
you can now use WinZip or WinRar and upload it to
http://plus.xdrive.com/u/109040099/927141702rPPNfm8mypnwZU5r71T

Andy

Hi first of all I know this is probably much to late to be of any
help.. You mentioned defective cd or dvd. Do you have any idea how
many times some people have turned defective software into good
software by simply wiping the thing clean. I did not see you mention
that you tried that. If not try it sometimes a smudge or dust is all
it takes to keep you from getting to a key file or .dll which will stop
the whole process dead in its tracks...Just a thought...Andy

Andy

Allegro thanks for the explanation. You sound like you have done all
that is humanly possible to make that Defective thing work..I commend
you on your over and above efforts...Now I really think its up to Dell
to make it work..I.E. give you another copy. I mean that is called
Customer Support, something that used to be very prevalent in this
country, not just a buzzword...Good luck to you Allegro

Hi,

Thanks for your input.
Well, i did try to clean it and used both free and commercial data/disc
recovery tools on it, however about 40% was unreadible.. A few forensic data
recovery tools were able to get part of that data too, but that data was
corrupt.. Nothing i could do with that..

However, i hope some fellow Dell user could help me out.. I know i could
just borrow a copy of a friends regular OEM version, but then i will still
have to activate and use my key..
It would be much better to have the Dell copy up and running again, i paid
for it!

Thanks,

Allegro.

"Andy" <bruinfan50@aol.com> schreef in bericht
> Hi first of all I know this is probably much to late to be of any
> help.. You mentioned defective cd or dvd. Do you have any idea how
> many times some people have turned defective software into good
> software by simply wiping the thing clean. I did not see you mention
> that you tried that. If not try it sometimes a smudge or dust is all
> it takes to keep you from getting to a key file or .dll which will stop
> the whole process dead in its tracks...Just a thought...Andy

Hi,

Since no one seems to have it at the moment, i'll just wait if someone
replies and is willing to upload. Otherwise i just have to post this request
again.
Since i really wanted the system to run, i had to resort to a pirated copy..
I'm not very happy with that, but since no one will upload atm..
I just have to wait and see if someone would be so nice here to help me out,
since i know this isn't running a legal copy.
Running a Dell copy with my orig. Dell key and licence is..
But at least i have it running for now, although i would feel better with a
Dell copy..
Hi,

Still hope someone could help me out with this.. A Dutch uploaded copy would
be best, but other languages would work also..
Or just those 12mb of files to change a regular in a Dell copy.. I'm willing
to pay a small fee for it.. It's
also possible to send it by regular mail.. (Or usenet)

Thanks,

Allegro.

I picture i took with my budget camera of my defective copy (Dutch):
http://img87.exs.cx/img87/1228/dutchdellmce1bg.jpg

XDrive account
http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/716516443y8eBnVQtnLQ3YWUu5Ek
User: altosaxo@hetnet.nl
Pass: upload

Best would be full (Dutch) disc, other wise 12mb of needed files would help:

"allegro" <allegro@flevonet.nl> schreef in bericht
> [...]
> MKDIR C:\XPbios\WIN9XUPG
> COPY G:\I386\DPCDLL.DL_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\EULA.TXT "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\NT5INF.CA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.BI_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.CA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.DA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.SI_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\PIDGEN.DLL "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\SETUPP.INI "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\SETUPREG.HIV "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\WIN9XUPG\WIN95UPG.INF "C:\XPbios\WIN9XUPG\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\UNATTEND.TXT "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
> COPY G:\I386\WINNT.SIF "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
>
> Save as for instance XPbios.bat -you may have to edit location of cd and
> folder-, then save it and double cick it..
>
> On C:\ there is a new folder created called XPbios with the needed files,
> you can now use WinZip or WinRar and upload it to

I wanted to update this thread, since i called Dell again today.
After been connected many times with diferent support personel, finally got
some confirmation:
The software return period (still not sure if it's 21 or 30 days) is the
reason i don't get a replacement.
Besides that, they removed MCE2005 from the software list, because they only
got a few orders and most people only want XP Home or Pro.

So, i guess this means i can forget any help from Dell.. I also mailed
Michael Dell himself, but i think even he can't help me if they dropped
support for MCE2005 in the Netherlands..
This seems to me like a total lack of service and support, even if i'm
willing to pay big bucks Dell can't help me.. I thought they should at least
have a few copies of MCE2005 (Dutch) in the factory.

So, unless someone was lucky enough to get a Dutch Dell copy of Windows XP
Media Center Edition 2005 disc, and is willing to upload or mail it by
regular mail.. I can just use any Dell copy of MCE2005.. Does not matter if
it's UK, US or any other language..

Uploading the full copy would be best, but if that's too much too ask, about
12mb of needed files would convert any regular OEM copy to a Dell copy..
Only thing is, i don't know the precise directory structure and label
(discname) anymore.. Somene could help me out? Anything i missed?
I tried cleaning the Dell dvd again, tried to polish it, but it was a bit
too much i guess.. Now i only get a "no disc" message after a few minutes..
But, since i never written down the directory structure or label/name of the
disc, i just have no idea what is on the Dell disc that's not on the regular
OEM?
I did not do a side by side comparison, but the 2cd's of the regular OEM are
800mb together, the Dell disc was larger if i remember correctly..
So, if someone could list the cdlabel and directory structure that would be
great..

To upload the full disc or the 12mb of needed files -specified below- (and
maybe the content i'm missing), you can use any binaries newsgroup or my
XDrive account:
http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/716516443y8eBnVQtnLQ3YWUu5Ek
User: altosaxo@hetnet.nl
Pass: upload

So, maybe someone here could help me out. I'm willing to pay a small fee for
the upload if wanted..

Thanks in advance,

Allegro.

My Dell copy (now it's in much worser shape)