It pays to be a Dellbot

My new E193FP went Pfftt.

It happens. Electronics die.

Called Dell. Customer rep on the phone in less than 2 minutes. Transferred
me to tech support. Waited less than a minute.

Answered a few questions about the monitor and what I'd done to test it out.

Waited patiently for a total of about 20 minutes for them to fill out the
right information.

New monitor on the way.

Total call time, about 25 minutes.

Tom

P.S. Call Center was in Mississippi -- I asked.

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message news:wL1Yd.163136$JF2.139354@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...

> P.S. Call Center was in Mississippi -- I asked.

You can't just ask them where they are from, you gotta be sneaky.
Might I suggest... "heh, these dialog boxes keep popping up and
displaying strange words such as Chakrabandha, Janukurpara, and
Upavitika. What does that mean? If they know the answer, they
sure as hell aren't from Mississippi ;-)

You're no "Dellbot", Tom, and neither am I. We have success with Dell
because we don't have an 'attitude' when dealing with the Company.

Ted Zieglar

> My new E193FP went Pfftt.
>
> It happens. Electronics die.
>
> Called Dell. Customer rep on the phone in less than 2 minutes.
Transferred
> me to tech support. Waited less than a minute.
>
> Answered a few questions about the monitor and what I'd done to test it
out.

> Waited patiently for a total of about 20 minutes for them to fill out the
> right information.
>
> New monitor on the way.
>
> Total call time, about 25 minutes.
>
> Tom
>
> P.S. Call Center was in Mississippi -- I asked.

> P.S. Call Center was in Mississippi -- I asked.

There was an article in the Austin paper recently about India Call
Centers - some of them have TV's tuned to US stations displaying US
city weather, events, sports scores, etc, so that when a US customer
asks where they are located they lie and can "prove" that they are in
the US.

How long did your monitor last and how much did Dell charge you for a
new one?

"Dellbot" and other labels intent on insulting those on either side are
actually indicators of the persons inability to make a point solely on its
merits.
Those who need labels or insults to prop up their position are clearly
incapable regardless of which side they are on.

Good to see a good tech support experience.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Jupiter Jones" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
> "Dellbot" and other labels intent on insulting those on either side are
> actually indicators of the persons inability to make a point solely on its
> merits.
> Those who need labels or insults to prop up their position are clearly
> incapable regardless of which side they are on.
>
> Good to see a good tech support experience.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones

Indeed, but I'd wager you aren't quite so quick to pass such favourable
judgement on such labels as "troll" which are inevitably applied to anyone
who dares to comment about Dell's poor customer service.

Additionally, I think it's fair to say that anything that Mr Scales has to
say about Dell can be readily dismissed.

Which is a shame as I believe he probably has a lot to offer this group; but
when you're clearly in denial about Dell's failings (and when you ship in
the volumes that Dell does you are going to have them) your opinion is going
to be hopelessly biased..............

< pre-empting Tom's response..................<<plonk>> >

"Chuckles The Scary Clown" <chuckles@thebigtop.net> wrote in message

> "Jupiter Jones" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
>> "Dellbot" and other labels intent on insulting those on either side are
>> actually indicators of the persons inability to make a point solely on
>> its merits.
>> Those who need labels or insults to prop up their position are clearly
>> incapable regardless of which side they are on.
>>
>> Good to see a good tech support experience.
>>
>> --
>> Jupiter Jones
>
> Indeed, but I'd wager you aren't quite so quick to pass such favourable
> judgement on such labels as "troll" which are inevitably applied to anyone
> who dares to comment about Dell's poor customer service.
>
> Additionally, I think it's fair to say that anything that Mr Scales has to
> say about Dell can be readily dismissed.
>
> Which is a shame as I believe he probably has a lot to offer this group;
> but when you're clearly in denial about Dell's failings (and when you ship
> in the volumes that Dell does you are going to have them) your opinion is
> going to be hopelessly biased..............
>
> < pre-empting Tom's response..................<<plonk>> >

Feel free to Plonk me. I am here to help and do so on a daily basis.

You do not.

I do not claim Dell is perfect, far from it.

I guess you just don't like positive stories.

Tom

Chuckles;
I have been called a Dell hater or something similar for a similar comment I
made to a Dell fan who felt the need to insult to prove a point.

So your assumption is false as many assumptions are.
Perhaps you should approach judgement more cautiously lest you catch
yourself again in a bad assumption.

--

Markeau wrote:

>> P.S. Call Center was in Mississippi -- I asked.
>

> There was an article in the Austin paper recently about India Call
> Centers - some of them have TV's tuned to US stations displaying US city
> weather, events, sports scores, etc, so that when a US customer asks
> where they are located they lie and can "prove" that they are in the US.

Well, not to quibble, but I kinda doubt an accent from the subcontinent
would sound anything like an accent from Biloxi, Jackson, etc.

And, I would doubt (again) that there are very many Indians (of the
subcontinent variety) living in MS.

From what I've gleaned from this NG, and other sources, the main
problem is one of the customer not being able to understand the tech.
ALL techs, US, Indian, whereever, go through scripts, frustrating though
they may be.

Tom S.
Houston, TX

Tom Simchak wrote:

> Markeau wrote:
> >
> > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> >
> >> P.S. Call Center was in Mississippi -- I asked.
> >

> > There was an article in the Austin paper recently about India Call
> > Centers - some of them have TV's tuned to US stations displaying US city
> > weather, events, sports scores, etc, so that when a US customer asks
> > where they are located they lie and can "prove" that they are in the US.
>
> Well, not to quibble, but I kinda doubt an accent from the subcontinent
> would sound anything like an accent from Biloxi, Jackson, etc.
>
> And, I would doubt (again) that there are very many Indians (of the
> subcontinent variety) living in MS.
>
> From what I've gleaned from this NG, and other sources, the main
> problem is one of the customer not being able to understand the tech.
> ALL techs, US, Indian, whereever, go through scripts, frustrating though
> they may be.

Without trying to beat a dead horse (Oh, what the hell! Let's beat him!),
my experience with Gold Tech Support has been that these guys *don't*
script read, but really know what they're talking about.

Notan

"Tom Simchak" <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote in message
> Well, not to quibble, but I kinda doubt an accent from the subcontinent
> would sound anything like an accent from Biloxi, Jackson, etc.

Clearly, you haven't taken many taxi's in any major U.S. Cities, north or
south. >g<

"Tom Simchak" <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote in message
> Markeau wrote:
>>
>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> P.S. Call Center was in Mississippi -- I asked.
>>

>> There was an article in the Austin paper recently about India Call
>> Centers - some of them have TV's tuned to US stations displaying US city
>> weather, events, sports scores, etc, so that when a US customer asks
>> where they are located they lie and can "prove" that they are in the US.
>
> Well, not to quibble, but I kinda doubt an accent from the subcontinent
> would sound anything like an accent from Biloxi, Jackson, etc.
>
> And, I would doubt (again) that there are very many Indians (of the
> subcontinent variety) living in MS.
>
> From what I've gleaned from this NG, and other sources, the main problem
> is one of the customer not being able to understand the tech. ALL techs,
> US, Indian, whereever, go through scripts, frustrating though they may be.
>
> Tom S.
> Houston, TX

Tom Simchak <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote:
>Well, not to quibble, but I kinda doubt an accent from the subcontinent
>would sound anything like an accent from Biloxi, Jackson, etc.

Yeah, my wife and I have a running joke about "Cowboys & Indians".
8*)

My favorite is <in heavy indian accent> "Hello, thank you for calling
Dell, I'm here to make your experience with us as comfortable as
possible today. My name is "John"". 8*)

Personally I don't mind the accent, but it drives me nuts to get a
script monkey with absolutely no clue what he's talking about. A
recent call to Adelphia's tech support, for instance, got me first and
second tier techs who wanted to know if a 20% packet loss was causing
any kind of problem.

Notan wrote:

> Tom Simchak wrote:
> >
> > Markeau wrote:
> > >
> > > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message

> > > There was an article in the Austin paper recently about India Call
> > > Centers - some of them have TV's tuned to US stations displaying US city
> > > weather, events, sports scores, etc, so that when a US customer asks
> > > where they are located they lie and can "prove" that they are in the US.
> >
> > Well, not to quibble, but I kinda doubt an accent from the subcontinent
> > would sound anything like an accent from Biloxi, Jackson, etc.
> >
> > And, I would doubt (again) that there are very many Indians (of the
> > subcontinent variety) living in MS.
> >
> > From what I've gleaned from this NG, and other sources, the main
> > problem is one of the customer not being able to understand the tech.
> > ALL techs, US, Indian, whereever, go through scripts, frustrating though
> > they may be.
>
> Without trying to beat a dead horse (Oh, what the hell! Let's beat him!),
> my experience with Gold Tech Support has been that these guys *don't*
> script read, but really know what they're talking about.

As a side note, when I saw the subject line of this thread, having been
accused of being a Dellbot, myself, I thought I was going to receive a
check in the mail, or something similar.

Damn! <g>

Notan

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:28:03 -0700, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:

>As a side note, when I saw the subject line of this thread, having been
>accused of being a Dellbot, myself, I thought I was going to receive a
>check in the mail, or something similar.
>
>Damn! <g>

No justice, is there? :)
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:34:46 -0800, Irene wrote:

> Clearly, you haven't taken many taxi's in any major U.S. Cities, north or
> south. >g<

On my first trip to NYC a couple years ago I got a taxi at the airport and
told him I was staying near 5th ave, I could walk to time-square, can't
remember the place exactly. I told the cabbie that I had never been to NYC
and we chatted about him coming to America from Italy a long time ago - I
mentioned that I had been to Italy a couple times when I was in the
service and we chatted some more - as we pulled up to the hotel he asked
if I would be interested in a tour of NYC and I told him I didn't have
enough cash for it, he said it would be on him - and that nice man drove
me around, showing all the sights for about an hour, and never charged me
a thing - I bought him an nice Italian mean near the hotel for it. Was the
nicest taxi trip I had ever taken - now, the rest of the people in NYC
were the most unfriendly people I've ever met :)

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

And the driver could actually speak real English.
That's almost amazing. >g<
It sounds like you were very lucky.

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:42:45 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:

>On my first trip to NYC a couple years ago I got a taxi at the airport and
>told him I was staying near 5th ave, I could walk to time-square, can't
>remember the place exactly. I told the cabbie that I had never been to NYC
>and we chatted about him coming to America from Italy a long time ago - I
>mentioned that I had been to Italy a couple times when I was in the
>service and we chatted some more - as we pulled up to the hotel he asked
>if I would be interested in a tour of NYC and I told him I didn't have
>enough cash for it, he said it would be on him - and that nice man drove
>me around, showing all the sights for about an hour, and never charged me
>a thing - I bought him an nice Italian mean near the hotel for it. Was the

Was this a yellow cab? They can be fined for carrying passengers
without the meter running. And ANY NYC cabbie giving a free ride?
You must have been in some other universe.
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:

Just looked at the "List".

I know one of them personally. I will have to pass on the other names that
this individual is grouped with. I am sure it will be considered an honor.

"davinp" <dpete47@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> How long did your monitor last and how much did Dell charge you for a
> new one?

It is under warranty. It's a month old! Frustrating, but it does happen, to
all companies, and I care more about the response of the company than the
failure. They're shipping me a new one with a box and prepaid return for
the old one.

Since the 19" Dell LCD is my "little" monitor, I still have my Samsung 213T
21" LCD panel to use.

Tom

I was surprised after reading this group for awhile now. I expected to get
what I get from DirecTV or Direcway but as it turns out I did get someone in
India. However he knew how to fix my problem right away. I have a 3 week old
Dell Dim 8400 with MCE and Dim 3000 (about 2 months old) I rebooted the 8400
and it just went black only lights showing was the amber start button on the
computer. It turned out to be a simple fix due to a power surge and the
whole process took about 5 minutes from start of call to end of
conversation. Needless to say there is a new APC UPS on both machines now.

Now if you want to have a problem try DirecTV. I took all day (from 9 AM to
4:30 PM) and 26 phone calls to simply pay my bill due to the fact my account
is in a company name so it can't be paid on the net. Oh and the bill didn't
get paid due to the fact they never could fax me or email a copy of my
invoice. They sent it snail mail and it arrived today. No that is customer
service, NOT>

--

Joe Cilinceon

> "davinp" <dpete47@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>> How long did your monitor last and how much did Dell charge you for a
>> new one?
>>

> It is under warranty. It's a month old! Frustrating, but it does happen,
> to all companies, and I care more about the response of the company than
> the failure. They're shipping me a new one with a box and prepaid return
> for the old one.
>
> Since the 19" Dell LCD is my "little" monitor, I still have my Samsung
> 213T 21" LCD panel to use.
>
> Tom

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
>I care more about the response of the company than the failure.

Indeed, one of those industry-wide customer surveys indicated that the
company with the best response (not the lowest failure rate!) had the
best customer satisfaction.

<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
>>I care more about the response of the company than the failure.
>
> Indeed, one of those industry-wide customer surveys indicated that the
> company with the best response (not the lowest failure rate!) had the
> best customer satisfaction.

That's really how it shakes out. You loved me when you sold me the damned
thing, but I can't find you when it breaks.

OR, it breaks and your attitude is still good about responding to and
correcting the problem.

You think more companies would get the idea. Damn. I started to use that
outdated term "customer loyalty".

Further, the latter response will garner customers who will pay more,
generally. (i.e.-Toyota quality/perceived quality).

Stew

TRENDING THREADS