Cannot Tray Icon

August 16, 2005 10:17:59 PM

Pentium 4/3.07 GHz, 512 RAM, OS Windows XP Home SP2 (build 2600).

Initially there wasn't a problem but something has happened to cause some
(not all) of the Task Bar icons to disappear.
Going to the Windows Task Manager the processes are running.
I have tried un-installing and re-installing the offending programmes, the
icon appears (in the Task Bar) immediately upon installation but disappears
when the computer is re-booted.
When I look at the Task Bar Properties/Customize the offending programmes
are listed under "Past Items". Can someone please explain how I can get
these programmes listed under "Current Items"?

More about : tray icon

August 16, 2005 10:18:00 PM

There seems to be an unrelated feature that has fixed this problem for me on
many computers.
Open My Network Places. In the Network Tasks window on this page look for
"Hide icons for networked UPnP devices" click on it and let it disable this
feature. Reboot and let me know if this helped. If it does not help, you can
come back and reverse this and look for other source of the problem.

--
Pavel

"Newbie2005" <anomynous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Pentium 4/3.07 GHz, 512 RAM, OS Windows XP Home SP2 (build 2600).
>
> Initially there wasn't a problem but something has happened to cause some
> (not all) of the Task Bar icons to disappear.
> Going to the Windows Task Manager the processes are running.
> I have tried un-installing and re-installing the offending programmes, the
> icon appears (in the Task Bar) immediately upon installation but
> disappears
> when the computer is re-booted.
> When I look at the Task Bar Properties/Customize the offending programmes
> are listed under "Past Items". Can someone please explain how I can get
> these programmes listed under "Current Items"?

Anonymous
August 16, 2005 10:18:00 PM

Newbie2005 wrote:
> Pentium 4/3.07 GHz, 512 RAM, OS Windows XP Home SP2 (build 2600).
>
> Initially there wasn't a problem but something has happened to cause
> some (not all) of the Task Bar icons to disappear.
> Going to the Windows Task Manager the processes are running.
> I have tried un-installing and re-installing the offending
> programmes, the icon appears (in the Task Bar) immediately upon
> installation but disappears when the computer is re-booted.
> When I look at the Task Bar Properties/Customize the offending
> programmes are listed under "Past Items". Can someone please explain
> how I can get these programmes listed under "Current Items"?

You have to De-select the "Hide inactive icons" option in the taskbar properties.
--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Related resources
August 16, 2005 10:18:00 PM

i am really a newbie to computers, i have a small solid white rectangle that
flys across my taskbar about every 6 to 10 minutes or so, it has only started
doing that in last few days. the only things new that i have done in that
time are hook up an all in one PSC and download the new MSN security updates.
any clues as to what this white bar might be?
--
dee

"Newbie2005" wrote:

> Pentium 4/3.07 GHz, 512 RAM, OS Windows XP Home SP2 (build 2600).
>
> Initially there wasn't a problem but something has happened to cause some
> (not all) of the Task Bar icons to disappear.
> Going to the Windows Task Manager the processes are running.
> I have tried un-installing and re-installing the offending programmes, the
> icon appears (in the Task Bar) immediately upon installation but disappears
> when the computer is re-booted.
> When I look at the Task Bar Properties/Customize the offending programmes
> are listed under "Past Items". Can someone please explain how I can get
> these programmes listed under "Current Items"?

August 16, 2005 10:18:01 PM

Ronnie,

Newbie2005 did say that the icons are listed as Past Items which indicates
that they are not hidden.

--
Pavel

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" <ronv@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:o 7gApvooFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

dee wrote:

> i am really a newbie to computers, i have a small solid white
> rectangle that flys across my taskbar about every 6 to 10 minutes or
> so, it has only started doing that in last few days. the only things
> new that i have done in that time are hook up an all in one PSC and
> download the new MSN security updates. any clues as to what this white
> bar might be?

Check the printer's software and see if there is some sort of update
program running. Make sure your computer is virus and malware-free:

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing...

If the machine is clean, do clean-boot troubleshooting:

Clean Boot - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=310353
and How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Pavel wrote:
> Ronnie,
>
> Newbie2005 did say that the icons are listed as Past Items which
> indicates that they are not hidden.
>
> --
> Pavel

Past items are also items that are no longer being displayed. Also, to be able to even view the Past Items list, the option to Hide Inactive Icons must be selected.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 1:29:53 AM

Hi Ronnie,
Thank you for your useful hint. Sorry for the delay in replying but I have
been testing to verify that the action below did fully resolve my problem.

I went to Add or Remove Programmes>Add or Remove Windows
Components>Networking Services there I un-checked UPnP User Interface, this
appears to have resolved my problem. I don't remember checking this
facility but somehow I had checked this box.

"Pavel" <Atin90@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o 3TujuooFHA.3552@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
| There seems to be an unrelated feature that has fixed this problem for me
on
| many computers.
| Open My Network Places. In the Network Tasks window on this page look for
| "Hide icons for networked UPnP devices" click on it and let it disable
this
| feature. Reboot and let me know if this helped. If it does not help, you
can
| come back and reverse this and look for other source of the problem.
|
| --
| Pavel
|

| "Newbie2005" <anomynous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > Pentium 4/3.07 GHz, 512 RAM, OS Windows XP Home SP2 (build 2600).
| >
| > Initially there wasn't a problem but something has happened to cause
some
| > (not all) of the Task Bar icons to disappear.
| > Going to the Windows Task Manager the processes are running.
| > I have tried un-installing and re-installing the offending programmes,
the
| > icon appears (in the Task Bar) immediately upon installation but
| > disappears
| > when the computer is re-booted.
| > When I look at the Task Bar Properties/Customize the offending
programmes
| > are listed under "Past Items". Can someone please explain how I can get
| > these programmes listed under "Current Items"?

August 17, 2005 1:29:54 AM

I am glad that my suggestion solved your problem. You will also notice that
some other problems that you may have had will go away. I do not know
exactly what it is that I have removed aside from the displaying if a Icon
in the Network Places indicating presence of a UPnP device since my MSN
Messenger works fine even with out this and detects my UPnP router just
fine.

--

> Hi Ronnie,
> Thank you for your useful hint. Sorry for the delay in replying but I have
> been testing to verify that the action below did fully resolve my problem.
>
> I went to Add or Remove Programmes>Add or Remove Windows
> Components>Networking Services there I un-checked UPnP User Interface,
> this
> appears to have resolved my problem. I don't remember checking this
> facility but somehow I had checked this box.
>

> "Pavel" <Atin90@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o 3TujuooFHA.3552@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> | There seems to be an unrelated feature that has fixed this problem for
> me
> on
> | many computers.
> | Open My Network Places. In the Network Tasks window on this page look
> for
> | "Hide icons for networked UPnP devices" click on it and let it disable
> this
> | feature. Reboot and let me know if this helped. If it does not help, you
> can
> | come back and reverse this and look for other source of the problem.
> |
> | --
> | Pavel
> |

> | "Newbie2005" <anomynous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | > Pentium 4/3.07 GHz, 512 RAM, OS Windows XP Home SP2 (build 2600).
> | >
> | > Initially there wasn't a problem but something has happened to cause
> some
> | > (not all) of the Task Bar icons to disappear.
> | > Going to the Windows Task Manager the processes are running.
> | > I have tried un-installing and re-installing the offending programmes,
> the
> | > icon appears (in the Task Bar) immediately upon installation but
> | > disappears
> | > when the computer is re-booted.
> | > When I look at the Task Bar Properties/Customize the offending
> programmes
> | > are listed under "Past Items". Can someone please explain how I can
> get
> | > these programmes listed under "Current Items"?

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 1:46:57 AM

Hi Dee,
I can't help you with your problem but may I suggest that you enter a "New
Post" for your problem. When you post on another thread which is not
exactly your problem, your subject title becomes hidden from most users
because it is a sub-thread to my thread "Cannot Load Tray Icon".

"dee" <dee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D C3C9010-D8CA-4E8A-9A3B-2FFC5B7F50A7@microsoft.com...
|i am really a newbie to computers, i have a small solid white rectangle
that
| flys across my taskbar about every 6 to 10 minutes or so, it has only
started
| doing that in last few days. the only things new that i have done in that
| time are hook up an all in one PSC and download the new MSN security
updates.
| any clues as to what this white bar might be?
| --
| dee
|

| "Newbie2005" wrote:
|
| > Pentium 4/3.07 GHz, 512 RAM, OS Windows XP Home SP2 (build 2600).
| >
| > Initially there wasn't a problem but something has happened to cause
some
| > (not all) of the Task Bar icons to disappear.
| > Going to the Windows Task Manager the processes are running.
| > I have tried un-installing and re-installing the offending programmes,
the
| > icon appears (in the Task Bar) immediately upon installation but
disappears
| > when the computer is re-booted.
| > When I look at the Task Bar Properties/Customize the offending
programmes
| > are listed under "Past Items". Can someone please explain how I can get
| > these programmes listed under "Current Items"?

August 17, 2005 1:46:58 AM

just wanted to say sorry and also thank you. made me learn how to post new
thread. learning so much new every day. : )
--
dee

"Newbie2005" wrote:

> Hi Dee,
> I can't help you with your problem but may I suggest that you enter a "New
> Post" for your problem. When you post on another thread which is not
> exactly your problem, your subject title becomes hidden from most users
> because it is a sub-thread to my thread "Cannot Load Tray Icon".
>

> "dee" <dee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D C3C9010-D8CA-4E8A-9A3B-2FFC5B7F50A7@microsoft.com...
> |i am really a newbie to computers, i have a small solid white rectangle
> that
> | flys across my taskbar about every 6 to 10 minutes or so, it has only
> started
> | doing that in last few days. the only things new that i have done in that
> | time are hook up an all in one PSC and download the new MSN security
> updates.
> | any clues as to what this white bar might be?
> | --
> | dee
> |

> | "Newbie2005" wrote:
> |
> | > Pentium 4/3.07 GHz, 512 RAM, OS Windows XP Home SP2 (build 2600).
> | >
> | > Initially there wasn't a problem but something has happened to cause
> some
> | > (not all) of the Task Bar icons to disappear.
> | > Going to the Windows Task Manager the processes are running.
> | > I have tried un-installing and re-installing the offending programmes,
> the
> | > icon appears (in the Task Bar) immediately upon installation but
> disappears
> | > when the computer is re-booted.
> | > When I look at the Task Bar Properties/Customize the offending
> programmes
> | > are listed under "Past Items". Can someone please explain how I can get
> | > these programmes listed under "Current Items"?

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 5:37:42 AM

This evening I have noted an improved performance with the Skype programme.

|I am glad that my suggestion solved your problem. You will also notice that
| some other problems that you may have had will go away. I do not know
| exactly what it is that I have removed aside from the displaying if a Icon
| in the Network Places indicating presence of a UPnP device since my MSN
| Messenger works fine even with out this and detects my UPnP router just
| fine.
|
| --
| Pavel
|

| "Newbie2005" <anomynous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > Hi Ronnie,
| > Thank you for your useful hint. Sorry for the delay in replying but I
have
| > been testing to verify that the action below did fully resolve my
problem.

| > I went to Add or Remove Programmes>Add or Remove Windows
| > Components>Networking Services there I un-checked UPnP User Interface,
| > this
| > appears to have resolved my problem. I don't remember checking this
| > facility but somehow I had checked this box.
| >

| > "Pavel" <Atin90@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| > news:o 3TujuooFHA.3552@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
| > | There seems to be an unrelated feature that has fixed this problem for
| > me
| > on
| > | many computers.
| > | Open My Network Places. In the Network Tasks window on this page look
| > for
| > | "Hide icons for networked UPnP devices" click on it and let it disable
| > this
| > | feature. Reboot and let me know if this helped. If it does not help,
you
| > can
| > | come back and reverse this and look for other source of the problem.
| > |
| > | --
| > | Pavel
| > |
| > |
| > | "Newbie2005" <anomynous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

| > some
| > the
| > programmes
| > get

| > |
| > |

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 5:31:11 PM

Hi again Pavel,
My problem occurred within the past two weeks. I have been trying to
recollect when I put the check mark in UPnP box. I remember that about a
year ago I was attempting to set up a local network and may have checked the
UPnP box at that time. The only recent change made to my computer was to
install the MS Security Patches on 10 & 16 Aug 2005. Is it possible that
these security patches along with my UPnP caused the problem?
Dennis

"Pavel" <Atin90@hotmail.com> wrote in message
|I am glad that my suggestion solved your problem. You will also notice that
| some other problems that you may have had will go away. I do not know
| exactly what it is that I have removed aside from the displaying if a Icon
| in the Network Places indicating presence of a UPnP device since my MSN
| Messenger works fine even with out this and detects my UPnP router just
| fine.
|
| --
| Pavel
|

| "Newbie2005" <anomynous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > Hi Ronnie,
| > Thank you for your useful hint. Sorry for the delay in replying but I
have
| > been testing to verify that the action below did fully resolve my
problem.

| > I went to Add or Remove Programmes>Add or Remove Windows
| > Components>Networking Services there I un-checked UPnP User Interface,
| > this
| > appears to have resolved my problem. I don't remember checking this
| > facility but somehow I had checked this box.
| >

| > "Pavel" <Atin90@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| > news:o 3TujuooFHA.3552@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
| > | There seems to be an unrelated feature that has fixed this problem for
| > me
| > on
| > | many computers.
| > | Open My Network Places. In the Network Tasks window on this page look
| > for
| > | "Hide icons for networked UPnP devices" click on it and let it disable
| > this
| > | feature. Reboot and let me know if this helped. If it does not help,
you
| > can
| > | come back and reverse this and look for other source of the problem.
| > |
| > | --
| > | Pavel
| > |
| > |
| > | "Newbie2005" <anomynous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

| > some
| > the
| > programmes
| > get

| > |
| > |

August 17, 2005 5:31:12 PM

I do not think that the updates would do that. A single click in the Icon in
My Network Places would do it.

--

news:o 8yEv8xoFHA.3988@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hi again Pavel,
> My problem occurred within the past two weeks. I have been trying to
> recollect when I put the check mark in UPnP box. I remember that about a
> year ago I was attempting to set up a local network and may have checked
> the
> UPnP box at that time. The only recent change made to my computer was to
> install the MS Security Patches on 10 & 16 Aug 2005. Is it possible that
> these security patches along with my UPnP caused the problem?
> Dennis
>
> "Pavel" <Atin90@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> |I am glad that my suggestion solved your problem. You will also notice
> that
> | some other problems that you may have had will go away. I do not know
> | exactly what it is that I have removed aside from the displaying if a
> Icon
> | in the Network Places indicating presence of a UPnP device since my MSN
> | Messenger works fine even with out this and detects my UPnP router just
> | fine.
> |
> | --
> | Pavel
> |

> | "Newbie2005" <anomynous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | > Hi Ronnie,
> | > Thank you for your useful hint. Sorry for the delay in replying but I
> have
> | > been testing to verify that the action below did fully resolve my
> problem.
> | >
> | > I went to Add or Remove Programmes>Add or Remove Windows
> | > Components>Networking Services there I un-checked UPnP User Interface,
> | > this
> | > appears to have resolved my problem. I don't remember checking this
> | > facility but somehow I had checked this box.
> | >

> | > "Pavel" <Atin90@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> | > news:o 3TujuooFHA.3552@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> for
> | > me
> | > on
> look
> | > for
> disable
> | > this
> you
> | > can
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |

> cause
> | > some
> programmes,
> | > the
> | > programmes
> can
> | > get
> | > | >

> | > |
> | > |

Anonymous
August 18, 2005 3:04:04 PM

It was just that the problem appeared approximately two weeks ago and
MS05-39 (KB899588) "Vulnerability in Plug and Play Could Allow Remote
Execution and Elevation of Privilege" was installed on my computer on 10
August 05.
Dennis

|I do not think that the updates would do that. A single click in the Icon
in
| My Network Places would do it.
|
| --
| Pavel
|

| "Newbie2005" <anomynous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| news:o 8yEv8xoFHA.3988@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
| > Hi again Pavel,
| > My problem occurred within the past two weeks. I have been trying to
| > recollect when I put the check mark in UPnP box. I remember that about
| > year ago I was attempting to set up a local network and may have checked
| > the
| > UPnP box at that time. The only recent change made to my computer was
| > install the MS Security Patches on 10 & 16 Aug 2005. Is it possible
that
| > these security patches along with my UPnP caused the problem?
| > Dennis
| >
| > "Pavel" <Atin90@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| > |I am glad that my suggestion solved your problem. You will also notice
| > that
| > | some other problems that you may have had will go away. I do not know
| > | exactly what it is that I have removed aside from the displaying if a
| > Icon
| > | in the Network Places indicating presence of a UPnP device since my
MSN
| > | Messenger works fine even with out this and detects my UPnP router
just
| > | fine.
| > |
| > | --