Dimen. 8400 vs. 4700, More bang for the buck?

I've been configuring and comparing the Dimension 8400 against the 4700 and
it just seems for a wee bit more money I get a bigger bang for the buck with
the 8400... Honestly would lean towards the smaller towered 4700 but it just
seems I am better off performance wise with the 8400.. even at the outlet
when your filter the same components I will find better prices on the 8400
then the 4700, am I missing something??

I found the same to be true and got the Dim 8400 and I'm very happy with it.
I also got a Dim 3000 for the office (not much need there for sound, heavy
graphics etc) as I only run a dedicated database program, internet and
office apps. My 8400 however I got with everything minus the TV tuner. I did
get the MCE version though and added a Hauppauge 150MCE card with a Logitech
850 Universal remote. I also got 2 gig memory (533Mhz), 17" FP Ultra sharp
monitor, 160 gig Sata drives, 3.2 GHz chip, NVIDIA 6800 w/ 256M, and the
Audigy 2 ZS card. I spent about $1480 for the whole system and another $300
for the self added updates (TV card, remote and Creative T7700 7.1 speaker
system). It worked out to about a $150 more than the Dim 4000 at the time I
bought my system. I also got it with no rebates only free shipping and a
straight 30% off. The 3000 was about $650 after rebates (came with free 15"
FP monitor and 512M ram).

These replaced and antique Compaq in the office and a 6 year old Gateway
750MHz machine (which still runs great). It was also my first pair of Dell
machines.

--

Joe Cilinceon

"Pinger" <Pinger@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've been configuring and comparing the Dimension 8400 against the 4700
> and it just seems for a wee bit more money I get a bigger bang for the
> buck with the 8400... Honestly would lean towards the smaller towered 4700
> but it just seems I am better off performance wise with the 8400.. even at
> the outlet when your filter the same components I will find better prices
> on the 8400 then the 4700, am I missing something??

No, I think that you got it right. I found the same thing when I was
shopping for an 8300 vs 4600--the 8300 gave noticeably more(including
expandability) for just a small price difference. I'd go with the 8400.

Ken

Pinger wrote:
> I've been configuring and comparing the Dimension 8400 against the 4700 and
> it just seems for a wee bit more money I get a bigger bang for the buck with
> the 8400... Honestly would lean towards the smaller towered 4700 but it just
> seems I am better off performance wise with the 8400.. even at the outlet
> when your filter the same components I will find better prices on the 8400
> then the 4700, am I missing something??

ME

> My 8400 however I got with everything minus the TV tuner. I did
>get the MCE version though and added a Hauppauge 150MCE card with a Logitech
>850 Universal remote.

So how have you liked using the 8400 as a "TV"?

Does a PC make a good televisions?

Im thinking of doing this very thing..... buying a new
Dell and adding a TV card from Hauppauge.... and using
it as my ONLY TV.

Will that work well?

Does the wireless remote let you turn volume
up/down..... change channels... etc?

me@privacy.net wrote:
>> My 8400 however I got with everything minus the TV tuner. I did
>> get the MCE version though and added a Hauppauge 150MCE card with a
>> Logitech 850 Universal remote.
>
> So how have you liked using the 8400 as a "TV"?
>
> Does a PC make a good televisions?
>
> Im thinking of doing this very thing..... buying a new
> Dell and adding a TV card from Hauppauge.... and using
> it as my ONLY TV.
>
> Will that work well?
>
> Does the wireless remote let you turn volume
> up/down..... change channels... etc?

Actually I was very surprised how well it did work but that is kind of an
expensive 17" TV. It works very much like a Tivo without the montly charges
so for me it is worth the cost of a tuner card. Now it doesn't compare the
the 46" HDTV in the living room but it is better than the old 32" set in the
bedroom. The FM tuner isn't bad either for local radio but I wished it came
with an AM also. I guess you can't have everything though. I do listen to it
will working on an Access database app I'm building for my business.

--

Joe Cilinceon

ME

>Actually I was very surprised how well it did work but that is kind of an
>expensive 17" TV.

True

But I need a new PC anyway (sold old one)..... so was
thinking it might be nice to get a PC that can act as a
TV as well.

So bottom line.... it does work well as a "TV"?

me@privacy.net wrote:
>> Actually I was very surprised how well it did work but that is kind
>> of an expensive 17" TV.
>
> True
>
> But I need a new PC anyway (sold old one)..... so was
> thinking it might be nice to get a PC that can act as a
> TV as well.
>
> So bottom line.... it does work well as a "TV"?

I would have to say yes, now if I could get HD on it that would be even
better. I have mine now hooked to a DirecTV D10 box and get every thing as
if it was on the big set. I did get Media Center version of Windows but had
very little idea of what it even was when I got it. Now I very happy with my
8400 as a media machine and a general work horse machine.

--

Joe Cilinceon