Sign in with
Your question

Scrolling Desktop Problems

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
March 12, 2010 7:15:13 PM

Hi,

I've just purchased a new monitor (an HP 2309v) which has a native resolution of 1920x1080. However, when I attempt to set the desktop resolution to this (in order to get optimal performance out of the monitor), Windows switches to a zoomed/panned "scrolling viewport" desktop mode that I can't seem to disable. It's as if Windows and/or my graphics card thinks my monitor is incapable of displaying that resolution, when I know for a fact it SHOULD be able to handle it.

Anyone know what the problem could be?

I have tried installing the drivers included on the CD. No joy. Oddly, though, in "Display Properties" and "Device Manager" the device still shows up as "default monitor". Is that to be expected?

I'm connecting the monitor to the PC using a VGA cable via a VGA-to-DVI adapter (my graphics card, an EAH3850, only has DVI outputs). I'm using Windows XP.

Thanks in advance for your help! :) 
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 12, 2010 7:22:02 PM

Should show up as Plug n Play Monitor.

The scrolling thing is a virtual desktop (I suspect) that you may have invoked without realising it.
March 12, 2010 7:49:45 PM

I'm pretty sure I've never installed any virtual desktop programmes. Also, the monitor definitely shows up as Default Monitor on ATI Radeon HD 3800 series. :( 
Related resources
March 12, 2010 7:52:46 PM

Could it be something to do with me using a VGA-DVI adapter to connect the monitor's VGA cable to the graphics card's DVI output?
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 12, 2010 7:56:01 PM

The adapter shouldn't cause this sort of problem -- but ! Can you not use a DVI cable ?
March 12, 2010 8:02:38 PM

Quote:
The adapter shouldn't cause this sort of problem -- but ! Can you not use a DVI cable ?

Sadly, the monitor only has an input for a VGA cable. :( 
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 13, 2010 7:58:51 AM

I can only suggest updating the graphic card's driver.
March 13, 2010 3:01:48 PM

Quote:
I can only suggest updating the graphic card's driver.

I've tried that, to no avail, but I appreciate your time anyway, so thanks man! :) 

My thought was maybe that the VGA-to-DVI adapter was causing some screwup in the display data channel, causing the computer to mis-identify the maximum resolution of the monitor. I'm probably wrong though.
April 17, 2010 12:26:56 PM

same over here.

hp pc with vga + dvi>vga dual monitors (2 * samsung Syncmaster 203B).
after boot the right screen is in scrolling mode!!!! ????!!!!

how to turn this off?

please help
!