REQUEST OF TECHNICAL SERVICES ON RESOURCE DISK 8400 vs. 8300

I asked Dell Technical Services a question on whether you could use the
Resource Disk(s) that came with a 8400 also on a 8300 since the 8400 came
pre-installed with Windows XP SP-2, while the 8300 just had Windows XP SP-1
installed. Here's the reply I just got back, which I don't agree with:

Dear Mr. Scott,

Thank you for contacting Dell Technical Support.

We appreciate the opportunity to assist you and I apologize for the
displeasure caused by the problem you are having.

Mr. Scott, In order to diagnose the issue with your system in most efficient
manner, I am providing you a set of troubleshooting steps in order to
resolve the issue. I would request you to please visit the mentioned link
and follow the steps mentioned.

The troubleshooting steps may take some time so follow them patiently after
going through the complete mail. You may also consider to take a printout of
these instructions and try them in order, since any step may resolve the
issue.

No, you cannot use the installation disc of system with another system. You
need to use the same disc which came with that system.

To reinstall Windows XP operating system on your PC I request you to please
refer to this link given below that reads "How Do I install the Microsoft®
Windows® XP Home Edition or Windows XP Professional Edition Operating System
on My Dell? Computer?"

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1060556

also please refer this link as it is very important to take a backup of all
the data which is their on your system because as you reinstall your
operating system your all data will be lost. "How Do I Back Up, Transfer,
Erase, or Recover Data from My Hard Drive?"

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1080102

This will resolve the issue that you are facing, however if the issue
persists please do not hesitate to write back to me with the results of the
above given steps.

We appreciate your patience and understanding. We value you as our customer
and your satisfaction is very important to us.

If you need any other information or clarification, please feel free to
contact us, we will be glad to assist you.

Respectfully,

Ashwini
DT D44863
Dell Technical Support.

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
* * * PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE THE SUBJECT WHEN REPLYING * * *

Problem Description:

This probably is not a technical issue but I was curious since I own both a
8300 and 8400 Dimension. If I have to ever restore/reformat my older 8300,
can I use the disk that came with my 8400 since it has the XP SP-2 Operating
System already installed on it and it would have me a
step on my 8300 since it came only installed with the XP SP-1 operating
system? From talking to people they all figure a Dell is a Dell and it
shouldn't make a difference which Resource disk I use in which system.
Thanks.

Yeah, it'll run.

"Chopperdad" <scotty@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> [...]
>
> Respectfully,
>
> Ashwini
> DT D44863
> Dell Technical Support.
>
> Original Message Follows:
> ------------------------
> * * * PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE THE SUBJECT WHEN REPLYING * * *

> Problem Description:
>
> This probably is not a technical issue but I was curious since I own both
> 8300 and 8400 Dimension. If I have to ever restore/reformat my older
> 8300,
> can I use the disk that came with my 8400 since it has the XP SP-2
> Operating
> System already installed on it and it would have me a
> step on my 8300 since it came only installed with the XP SP-1 operating
> system? From talking to people they all figure a Dell is a Dell and it
> shouldn't make a difference which Resource disk I use in which system.

<snip>
> This probably is not a technical issue but I was curious since I own both
> 8300 and 8400 Dimension. If I have to ever restore/reformat my older
> 8300,
> can I use the disk that came with my 8400 since it has the XP SP-2
> Operating
> System already installed on it and it would have me a
> step on my 8300 since it came only installed with the XP SP-1 operating
> system? From talking to people they all figure a Dell is a Dell and it
> shouldn't make a difference which Resource disk I use in which system.
> Thanks.

Yes.

XP SP2 from your 8400 will install fine on your 8300. If you boot from the
CD and do a clean install, it will not require activation. The 8400 Resource
CD 'should' include 8300 drivers, but, if not, your 8300 resource CD will be
find, although I could download the newest drivers.

Tom

Well, of course, the response is rubbish. The Windows XP SP2 CD can be used
with an 8300 or any other machine for that matter. If you are loading it up
from scratch, installing with SP2 saves a serious amount of time.

But I'm sure that Dell's contract with Micro$oft obligates this sort of
response. What I wonder about is if good old Ashwini on the other side of the
globe actually wrote all these words by himself or used a canned response. For
sure, the authorship of the response is not a native speaker of American
English. A little comical, actually... Ben Myers