Computer Slow to Start Any Program - Descriptive .. I Know..

Ok, Heres the scoop.

I have a user runing Windows XP, SP2. Firewall Disabled.
He has a bunch of apps installed ... none of which run in the
background. It takes him a min of 15 sec to open any program that
deals with the Internet (MS related or not). If we unplug his
connection, everything runs great ... except he has no network and no
Internet.

Any Ideas ? I have run every spyware removal tool known to man (or
woman), we have the latest McAfee Virus definitions (and yes, I have
tried to disable the viruscaner).

Thank you for any help,
Peter
4 answers Last reply
More about computer slow start program descriptive know

    Has any Windows components been removed or added? If that is the case, I had
    a similar problem and there was no solution available then except a clean
    installation of Windows

    "peter.marshall@caris.com" wrote:

    > Ok, Heres the scoop.
    >
    > I have a user runing Windows XP, SP2. Firewall Disabled.
    > He has a bunch of apps installed ... none of which run in the
    > background. It takes him a min of 15 sec to open any program that
    > deals with the Internet (MS related or not). If we unplug his
    > connection, everything runs great ... except he has no network and no
    > Internet.
    >
    > Any Ideas ? I have run every spyware removal tool known to man (or
    > woman), we have the latest McAfee Virus definitions (and yes, I have
    > tried to disable the viruscaner).
    >
    > Thank you for any help,
    > Peter

    No. There were no components removed. THe user said the usual " It
    worked on friday., something must have happened on the weekend when no
    one was here ..." you know .. the old .. my comput just magically
    stopped working .. I did nothing wrong. grrrr

    No. There were no components removed. THe user said the usual " It
    worked on friday., something must have happened on the weekend when no
    one was here ..." you know .. the old .. my comput just magically
    stopped working .. I did nothing wrong. grrrr

    Yeah how annoying! Well al clean installation will most probably solve the
    problem very much doubt it will be hardware.

    "peter.marshall@caris.com" wrote:

    > No. There were no components removed. THe user said the usual " It
    > worked on friday., something must have happened on the weekend when no
    > one was here ..." you know .. the old .. my comput just magically
    > stopped working .. I did nothing wrong. grrrr

Windows XP