Windows XP Pro with SP2

I just bought a new laptop which came with XP Home Edition. I bought a retail
copy of XP Pro with SP2. After the full installation of XP, some
installations does not run. For example, I click on setup.exe and answer the
necessary questions. Then the setup stay there forever. I open Task
Manager, and it say "Running" The hard drive does not lights up. Has
anybody seens this problem?

Sounds like you did not upgrade and installed XP Pro in the same partition as
XP Home. I would suggest starting over and perform the installation correctly.

Clean Install Windows XP

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"ItzMeMarcio" wrote:

| I just bought a new laptop which came with XP Home Edition. I bought a retail
| copy of XP Pro with SP2. After the full installation of XP, some
| installations does not run. For example, I click on setup.exe and answer the
| necessary questions. Then the setup stay there forever. I open Task
| Manager, and it say "Running" The hard drive does not lights up. Has
| anybody seens this problem?

Carey,

I did a full install. I deleted the partition, and recreated when I
installed XP.

ItzMeMarcio wrote:
> Carey,
>
> I did a full install. I deleted the partition, and recreated when I
> installed XP.

When running setup, are they for the specific software installs?
What are they? Are the applications being installed the retail
versions or are they "demos" through the laptop's OEM? In some
cases of the latter, the installation might have been modified
to setup with just the OEM's laptop, including the OEM's version
of Windows XP as well as any utilities the laptop also might need
or use. A clean install of Windows XP Pro, in this instance, would
lack the OEM's modifications and result in the "hang".

One of the applications that I am trying to install is PGP. I purchased this
application, and it runs on my office PC.