Drive letter a: for USB Key booting

a b } Memory
August 16, 2005 1:33:40 PM

I've made a memory key bootable. It's booting up dos, but assigning
the drive letter of c: for the memory key.

I want to use the memory key in lieu of a floppy drive for booting a
ghost boot disk with network support.

Is there anyway to get the key to come up as a:\ instead of c:\?

Do I really need to get it to a:? Will it interfere with imaging to
the harddrive c:\?

Thanks,
Buster
Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 16, 2005 4:38:23 PM

You may need to check with the BIOS on the computer you are trying to do
this.

<busterama@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I've made a memory key bootable. It's booting up dos, but assigning
> the drive letter of c: for the memory key.
>
> I want to use the memory key in lieu of a floppy drive for booting a
> ghost boot disk with network support.
>
> Is there anyway to get the key to come up as a:\ instead of c:\?
>
> Do I really need to get it to a:? Will it interfere with imaging to
> the harddrive c:\?
>
> Thanks,
> Buster

August 16, 2005 6:36:36 PM

The reason your USB disks boots as C: is because the partition that contains
Windows is on NTFS formatted partition and your BIOS does not recognize it
as a valid bootable partition (MBR will handle that, but there is more to
it) and it assigns C: to it. You really do not need to worry about not being
booted as A: drive since the ghost software does not care how you booted.
There may be some version of BIOS that can force it to boot as A: but if it
works from C:, why bother.

--
Pavel

<busterama@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I've made a memory key bootable. It's booting up dos, but assigning
> the drive letter of c: for the memory key.
>
> I want to use the memory key in lieu of a floppy drive for booting a
> ghost boot disk with network support.
>
> Is there anyway to get the key to come up as a:\ instead of c:\?
>
> Do I really need to get it to a:? Will it interfere with imaging to
> the harddrive c:\?
>
> Thanks,
> Buster

August 16, 2005 6:42:39 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention.....

When you are ready to restore your stored Image, the ghost will actually
show you the physical drive and the partition on that drive, not as a drive
letter. So the C: does not mean anything during restore.

--
Pavel

!