Drive letter a: for USB Key booting

I've made a memory key bootable. It's booting up dos, but assigning
the drive letter of c: for the memory key.

I want to use the memory key in lieu of a floppy drive for booting a
ghost boot disk with network support.

Is there anyway to get the key to come up as a:\ instead of c:\?

Do I really need to get it to a:? Will it interfere with imaging to
the harddrive c:\?

Thanks,
Buster
3 answers Last reply
More about drive letter booting

    You may need to check with the BIOS on the computer you are trying to do
    this.

    <busterama@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I've made a memory key bootable. It's booting up dos, but assigning
    > the drive letter of c: for the memory key.
    >
    > I want to use the memory key in lieu of a floppy drive for booting a
    > ghost boot disk with network support.
    >
    > Is there anyway to get the key to come up as a:\ instead of c:\?
    >
    > Do I really need to get it to a:? Will it interfere with imaging to
    > the harddrive c:\?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Buster

    The reason your USB disks boots as C: is because the partition that contains
    Windows is on NTFS formatted partition and your BIOS does not recognize it
    as a valid bootable partition (MBR will handle that, but there is more to
    it) and it assigns C: to it. You really do not need to worry about not being
    booted as A: drive since the ghost software does not care how you booted.
    There may be some version of BIOS that can force it to boot as A: but if it
    works from C:, why bother.

    --
    Pavel

    <busterama@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I've made a memory key bootable. It's booting up dos, but assigning
    > the drive letter of c: for the memory key.
    >
    > I want to use the memory key in lieu of a floppy drive for booting a
    > ghost boot disk with network support.
    >
    > Is there anyway to get the key to come up as a:\ instead of c:\?
    >
    > Do I really need to get it to a:? Will it interfere with imaging to
    > the harddrive c:\?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Buster

    Oh, I forgot to mention.....

    When you are ready to restore your stored Image, the ghost will actually
    show you the physical drive and the partition on that drive, not as a drive
    letter. So the C: does not mean anything during restore.

    --
    Pavel

    "Pavel" <Atin90@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > The reason your USB disks boots as C: is because the partition that
    > contains Windows is on NTFS formatted partition and your BIOS does not
    > recognize it as a valid bootable partition (MBR will handle that, but
    > there is more to it) and it assigns C: to it. You really do not need to
    > worry about not being booted as A: drive since the ghost software does not
    > care how you booted. There may be some version of BIOS that can force it
    > to boot as A: but if it works from C:, why bother.
    >
    > --
    > Pavel
    >

    > <busterama@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> I've made a memory key bootable. It's booting up dos, but assigning
    >> the drive letter of c: for the memory key.
    >>
    >> I want to use the memory key in lieu of a floppy drive for booting a
    >> ghost boot disk with network support.
    >>
    >> Is there anyway to get the key to come up as a:\ instead of c:\?
    >>
    >> Do I really need to get it to a:? Will it interfere with imaging to
    >> the harddrive c:\?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Buster

Memory Windows XP