  • Microsoft
  • Hard Drives
  • Product
August 16, 2005 1:42:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general,24hoursupport.helpdesk (More info?)

I decided to upgrade my hacked version Win2k Pro and I went out and
bought a legit version of Win XP Home. I was feeling good about myself
and the $250 CDN I shelled out to help Bill Gates pay some bills, we
all know he's hurting for cash and WinXp is under-priced.

Now I am learning that Win XP Home cannot read my 2 extra "dynamic"
harddrives and I need to shell out another $200+ to get Win Xp Pro if I
want to be able to access the 280 gigs worth of harddrives.

I am FURIOUS... But before I vow to never give Bill another cent and I
install this hacked version of WinXP Pro Corporate I downloaded:

....Does anyone know a trick to get WinXP HOME to deal with my extra 2
harddrives which show as "Dynamic Foreign"? Is there some patch or hack
or something? I'm trying to be a good boy but Bill is raping me.

Thank you in advance 08/16/05

More about : dynamic disks updgrate

Anonymous
August 16, 2005 2:30:52 PM

Note it was not an upgrade, it was a full clean install.

It was entirely reasonable for me to expect all versions of WinXp to be
able to do something as basic as access my hard drives. The fact that
it doesn't is completely RIDICULOUS. I see this as yet another sleezy
move on Microsoft's part, I'm sure they easily could have cut & paste
the 5 lines of code from Win2k.

Regardless.. my point is: does anyone know of a way to convert a
"dynamic disk" to a "basic disk" without losing the data on it? I've
heard theres ways to manually do it, or perhaps with 3rd party
software, I'm looking for more info about this...

Thx
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 4:05:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general,24hoursupport.helpdesk (More info?)

Windows XP Home Edition does not support dynamic disks...sorry!

If you had taken the time to read the writing on the Windows XP
Home Edition box, you would have noticed which Windows O/S's
you can upgrade to XP Home, Windows 2000 not being one of them.

Error Message About Partition Appears When You Install Windows XP
to a Dynamic Volume
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283421

Windows XP supported upgrade paths
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;292607

Description of the Windows XP Upgrade Advisor
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307726

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"s-y-n-e-r-g-y" wrote:

| I decided to upgrade my hacked version Win2k Pro and I went out and
| bought a legit version of Win XP Home. I was feeling good about myself
| and the $250 CDN I shelled out to help Bill Gates pay some bills, we
| all know he's hurting for cash and WinXp is under-priced.
|
| Now I am learning that Win XP Home cannot read my 2 extra "dynamic"
| harddrives and I need to shell out another $200+ to get Win Xp Pro if I
| want to be able to access the 280 gigs worth of harddrives.
|
| I am FURIOUS... But before I vow to never give Bill another cent and I
| install this hacked version of WinXP Pro Corporate I downloaded:
|
| ...Does anyone know a trick to get WinXP HOME to deal with my extra 2
| harddrives which show as "Dynamic Foreign"? Is there some patch or hack
| or something? I'm trying to be a good boy but Bill is raping me.
|
| Thank you in advance 08/16/05
August 16, 2005 4:06:19 PM

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> The only way to "revert" a dynamic disk back to a basic disk is to reformat
> the partition(s) in question.
>
> Maybe the following can help:
>
> HOW TO: Convert a dynamic disk back to a basic disk without data loss
> http://faq.arstechnica.com/link.php?i=1806

Thats the link I was looking for, thanks Carey.
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 4:59:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general,24hoursupport.helpdesk (More info?)

You can not "upgrade" Windows 2000 Pro to XP Home. You need XP Pro, if you
want to do the upgrade without re-formatting you drives.

Because of all "those" hacked versions of XP Pro Volume License (not
Corporate), Microsoft has come out with "Windows Genuine Adavantge" (WGA)
system which we need to go through in order to download anything from
Windows Update or Microsoft's download section. This WGA is refusing a lot
of "valid" Windows XP installations.

<s-y-n-e-r-g-y@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I decided to upgrade my hacked version Win2k Pro and I went out and
> bought a legit version of Win XP Home. I was feeling good about myself
> and the $250 CDN I shelled out to help Bill Gates pay some bills, we
> all know he's hurting for cash and WinXp is under-priced.
>
> Now I am learning that Win XP Home cannot read my 2 extra "dynamic"
> harddrives and I need to shell out another $200+ to get Win Xp Pro if I
> want to be able to access the 280 gigs worth of harddrives.
>
> I am FURIOUS... But before I vow to never give Bill another cent and I
> install this hacked version of WinXP Pro Corporate I downloaded:
>
> ...Does anyone know a trick to get WinXP HOME to deal with my extra 2
> harddrives which show as "Dynamic Foreign"? Is there some patch or hack
> or something? I'm trying to be a good boy but Bill is raping me.
>
> Thank you in advance 08/16/05

Anonymous
August 16, 2005 5:12:04 PM

!