Building a new rig: I need YOUR input/help =P

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Alright, when I first learned to make my first computer two years ago, this place is pretty much the place that helped me decide what to get.

Now, I have to build another rig, and since I haven't been following the latest technology at ALL (I had no need too), I hope you guys can answer a few questions for me.

1. I hear that a new type of DDR RAM is faster than PC1066 RDRAM? What kind of RAM is this, and what kind of motherboard does it need to be on? Will it work on the Prescott?

2. When's the Prescott going to be out? I'm interesting in a 3.0+ghz computer, but I right now the 3.1 ghz HT Northwoods are relatively cheap. Oh yeah, does that faster DDR ram work on any northwood boards?

3. Is the new GeforceFX out? You know, the one that's supposed to be 'good', not the mediocre one that got alot of flack.

<font color=blue> There's no such thing as hell, but you can make it if you try.</font color=blue>

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
OK then, let´s try to answer those questions one-by-one...

1. The next DDR technology is DDR II. It is better in many ways than DDR I and will be introduced after DDR400. We´ll then be seeing DDR II-400 and DDR II-533 or something. It´s supposed to be faster and have lower latencies... Don´t exactly know the details, though... anyone around here help me out? What I do know is that an Intel chipset which is supposed to support DDR-II is due by the end of this year, or maybe early 2004. I think it´s called Grantsdale, but I´m not sure of it...

2. Prescott will probably be around by the 4th Quarter. Canterwood and Springdale are chipsets that are out now and will also support Prescott. As to cheap Northwoods with HT enabled, I think the soon-to-be-launched P4 "C" line will be quite interesting. 800Mhz FSB and HT-enabled processors clocked at 2.4, 2.6, 2.8, 3.0 and 3.2Ghz...

3. Yes, the new GeForceFX (5900) is already out. It´s based on NV35, which is basically NV30 without the mistakes they made. So it´s not as loud and faster than its predecessor, and it´s currently the fastest video card around, even faster than the R9800 Pro.

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
As for the P4C line, will you need a new type mobo? (Canterwood or whatever)

Will the C line be out before August? If so, I might get it if it's not too expensive.

<font color=blue> There's no such thing as hell, but you can make it if you try.</font color=blue>

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
Yes you would need either a canterwood or a springdale chipset to run the 800mhz FSB P4 and Prescotts later

I recommand you go and get a canterwood board with a 800mhz FSB P4 right now cause without thinking grantdale and prescott is going to be extremely expensive and unless you have a high budget i wouldn't recommand those to you

also The NV35/Geforce FX 5900Ultra will ship in june at 499 pounds i think sooo if you have the budget go for it but if you don't i'd command a 9600pro from ATi or 5600pro from Nvidia

As for DDR II the technology is quite young at this time and as we all learn from the "dust buster" DDR II is extremely hot so it won't be out for a while you best best right now is PC3200 DDR400mhz running dual channel this will give you the best performance for ram at the moment

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Is the Canterwood going to support RDRAM? I hope so...

PS When is the C line coming out? Are Canterwoods already out??

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
Is the Canterwood going to support RDRAM? I hope so...
No. Canterwood uses DDR SDRAM memory modules. Can use one memory module but if used in pairs, memory bandwidth is theorecally doubled. More memory bandwidth than RDRAM based solutions can provide at this time. Further, there's no RDRAM based solution that officially supports 800MHz FSB Pentium4s. So, if you're going to get a 800MHz FSB Pentium4 then RDRAM should not enter the conversation.

PS When is the C line coming out?
They're available for purchase now.
Are Canterwoods already out??
Available for purchase now.

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
1. I hear that a new type of DDR RAM is faster than PC1066 RDRAM? What kind of RAM is this, and what kind of motherboard does it need to be on? Will it work on the Prescott?
It's the same ol' DDR RAM but it's configured in a Dual-Channel fashion. The Result: Memory bandiwidth theoretically doubled. Much more memory bandwidth than 1066RDRAM. Motherboards with Canterwood and springdale chipsets have this Dual-Channel feature. Canterwood is a margin faster than springdale. It is rumored that the early prescotts are going to be Socket 478. Thus, it is assumed that Canterwood/Springdale will be able to support at least some of the early prescotts. The later prescotts are rumored to use Socket T so that would require a new motherboard.

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Do I have to use a special kind of DDR?

Would this work?

CORSAIR MEMORY XMS 32MX8 PC-3200C2 With Heat Spreader
Specifications:
Speed 400MHz
Organization 32MX8
CAS Latency 2-3-3-6-T1
Memory type DDR

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
Do I have to use a special kind of DDR?
No, don't need a special kind.

Would this work?

CORSAIR MEMORY XMS 32MX8 PC-3200C2 With Heat Spreader
Specifications:
Speed 400MHz
Organization 32MX8
CAS Latency 2-3-3-6-T1
Memory type DDR
It would work and is recommended by Corsair. Buy two of them in order to take advantage of the Dual DDR feature of canterwood. For overclocking and/or room to grow I would choose Corsair XMS PC3500 C2 memory.