Running XP Pro SP2. My sound will cut out at seemingly random times when I
am using the system. No pattern that I can find that relates to type of
activity or software open. To restore sound, I have to either reboot the
machine or put it to sleep/hibernate; when it restarts/wakes, a number of
sound events (2-3) play at once, as if they've been backed up in a queue.
Must be a driver/OS issue. Is there a way to 'reset' the driver or sound
'generator' without putting the machine to sleep?

Thanks.

Malke

SDS wrote:

> Running XP Pro SP2. My sound will cut out at seemingly random times
> when I
> am using the system. No pattern that I can find that relates to type
> of
> activity or software open. To restore sound, I have to either reboot
> the machine or put it to sleep/hibernate; when it restarts/wakes, a
> number of sound events (2-3) play at once, as if they've been backed
> up in a queue.
> Must be a driver/OS issue. Is there a way to 'reset' the driver or
> sound 'generator' without putting the machine to sleep?
>
> Thanks.

It isn't necessarily a driver issue. Random failures indicate that
either the hardware has a problem or something else is running in the
background intermittently that is interfering. Since you haven't given
us any details about your computer's hardware it isn't possible to be
specific. Here are some general suggestions:

1. Update the drivers. Never get drivers from Windows Update. Get them
from:

a. The card mftr.'s website; OR
b. The motherboard mftr.'s website if onboard video; OR
c. The OEM's website for your specific machine if you have an OEM
computer (HP, Dell, Sony, etc.).

Read the installation instructions on the website where you get the
drivers.

2. Make sure your power supply is adequate for your computer's devices.

3. If possible, try a different soundcard. If the original sound is
onboard, disable it in the BIOS first.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers