Sign in with
Your question

Final PC specs (is there anything wrong?)

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
May 18, 2003 3:49:48 AM

Well I think this is pretty much set in stone what I'm going to get. I'll post the specs and then I have a couple of questions:

Case: CHIEFTEC Server Chasis (silver) ($63.00) newegg.com

Power Supply: Antec 430W TRUE430 ($83.00) newegg.com

Motherboard: ABit NF7-S rev. 2 ($120) excaliberpc.com

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2800 "Barton" 333 FSB (retail) ($217.50) excaliburpc.com

Ram: Kingston 512MB PC3200 x2 ($152) newegg.com

Video Card: Sapphire ATI 9500 Pro 128 MB ($181) newegg.com

Hard Drive: Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache ($93) newegg.com

CD-RW: Sony 52x24x52 (black) ($49) newegg.com

Floppy Drive: Panasonic 1.44 MB Density Floppy Disk Drive (black) ($7) newegg.com

Monitor: Viewsonic 19" CRT Perfect-Flat ($236) newegg.com

Speakers: Altec Lansing Enhanced 2100 Retail ($65) excaliberpc.com

Mouse/Keyboard: Logitech BLACK Optical Desktop ($33) newegg.com

ok, the questions.

1. Can I get by without a DVD-Rom? I never use the one on my computer now and I don't intend on watching movies on it, so is it really neccessary?

2. Is the power supply going overboard, or should I really spend that much to make sure I get a quality part?

3. My dad wanted to know, how does this AMD processor compare to an Intel? Is this comparable to say a P4 2.4 ghz? Also, whenever I asked people for help on which processor to get, everyone said to get an AMD. Is there a reason I really shouldn't go with Intel? Why is everyone so for it?

4. The Sony CDRW was only about $2 more than the Lite-On. Was I right to go with the Sony model?

5. Is Excaliber PC a realiable place to order from?

thanks alot.

More about : final specs wrong

May 18, 2003 3:57:40 AM

Quote:
5. Is Excaliber PC a realiable place to order from?

Yes, they've straightened up quite well after a rocky start.
May 18, 2003 4:07:27 AM

1. Can I get by without a DVD-Rom? I never use the one on my computer now and I don't intend on watching movies on it, so is it really neccessary?

Well more and more software will switch into the DVD format to fit more on a disk so in case u want to be a software and the only available format in the future is DVD then u'd have to get one anyways

2. Is the power supply going overboard, or should I really spend that much to make sure I get a quality part?

Ya i guess try looking at the enermax P/S i think they tend to cost less and they are as well known as ANTEC

3. My dad wanted to know, how does this AMD processor compare to an Intel? Is this comparable to say a P4 2.4 ghz? Also, whenever I asked people for help on which processor to get, everyone said to get an AMD. Is there a reason I really shouldn't go with Intel? Why is everyone so for it?

AMD's CP rating is much much higher. CP is cost/performance. however ever an 2800+ can only defeat a P4 2.66 Ghz in 3Dmarks

4. The Sony CDRW was only about $2 more than the Lite-On. Was I right to go with the Sony model?

I heard somewhere Lite-on makes Sony's Cd-rws
Related resources
May 18, 2003 4:13:29 AM

<b>Crashman</b> has been recommending the Fortron FSP400PFN power supply. Cost about $25 less than the Antec model. I would go that route.

If you don't need the extra features provided by the Pro version of Windows XP, you could opt for the Home version which is cheaper.

These two changes would allow you to upgrade the speakers to the Logitech Z560 speakers instead of the Altec Lansings or make a move up to one of the ATi 9700 graphics cards.
May 18, 2003 4:27:50 AM

Is this card worth the extra money:

"ATI OEM RADEON 9700 ATLANTIS 128MB DDR 8X AGP BULK"

That goes for $245.

also, what are the differences between XP Pro and Home?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Gherkin on 05/18/03 00:28 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
May 18, 2003 4:46:50 AM

Quote:
Is this card worth the extra money:

"ATI OEM RADEON 9700 ATLANTIS 128MB DDR 8X AGP BULK"

That goes for $245.

9500 Pro is a fast card but I would spend the extra money for 9700 series card especially if it will fit within your budget. So, I would say yes.

Quote:
also, what are the differences between XP Pro and Home?

Microsoft provides <A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosin..." target="_new">this webapge</A> in order to make it easier to choose between the two. Maybe one of our fellow THGC members can give us a rundown on the key feature differences but I believe the above webpage should be enough to make the decision. For the average user, Home Edition would be the way to go.
May 18, 2003 4:57:44 AM

A 9700 non pro can be gotten for around $220. Id get one of those.

<b><font color=red>Remember kids, if you see a downed power line, suck on the end, candy comes out!</font color=red></b>
May 18, 2003 5:00:41 AM

Great price. I second that recommendation. Looks like 9700 Non-Pro would be a good choice.
May 18, 2003 5:04:17 AM

The 9700 was a Sapphire card. Which brand and where is it for $220?
May 18, 2003 5:21:26 AM

Maybe <b>JimmyDean</b> has found it for a better price at another place but the cheapest 9700 non-pro I can find at newEgg is $229 (free shipping). It's from FIC. I'm not too familiar with FIC though. Perhaps someone can comment about the quality of their graphics cards. I know the $245 card is of good quality but cost a bit more.
May 18, 2003 7:12:53 AM

What would be the advantage of the getting the MSI? It's $15 more.
May 18, 2003 2:34:02 PM

There is nothing wrong except that I think you should consider a 15 or 17" TFT monitor instead. I think TFT monitors are far supreme to a CRT monitor nowadays. If you pick a Samsung 17" you could get by with a extra cost of "just" approx. $180. 17" TFT's are very equal to 19" CRT in picture size.

Also, you could pick the AntecTrue 480 or 550W PSU's for very little extra, guaranteeing to be future-proof.

To answer your questions:

1) I'd recommend that you'd buy a DVD-Rom, because games running on DVD Roms are starting to show.

2) You should *definitely* pick a quality PSU. Bad quality PSU's can die at a wattage well below it's rating. From my own experience with Antec, their PSU's are awesome.

3) The Athlon XP2800+ is only a tad faster than the new P4 2.4 with 800 FSB. It's a lot faster than the other P4 2.4's though.

Unless you are running exclusively, programs that run best on AMD CPU's, I'd say an Intel CPU is the best choice of now. I don't know what arguments your friends had against Intel but there's a common misconception that AMD is a company of "nicer" marketing strategies than Intel is. That is not very true actually. AMD has been been very deceitful in it's marketing the last two years, running even worse lately with overrated products etc. I like both companies equally though, and I think you should pick a product based on how it performs, nothing else. If you're concerned about price, Intel and AMD are pretty equal right now with the exception of the low-end market, where AMD is cheaper.

4) Hard to tell. I've had a few experiences with Sony players that scratches CD's, but I'm not sure that it's a common happening though.

5) Beats me.

My system: AMD Athlon XP 3000+ CPU / TwinMOS 1Gb DDR400 / Soltek 75FRN-RL /
Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro / Antec True Power 550W / Maxtor 80Gb ATA-133 / Hercules GTXP SC /
Samsung DVD / Lite-On CDRW
May 18, 2003 4:18:52 PM

Quote:

<b><A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=..." target="_new"><font color=red>Enlight EN-8420934 420W ATX Power supply</A></b></font color=red> for $55.
It's reliable and very quiet.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
May 19, 2003 4:45:16 AM

Don't listen to these nerds ;)  stay with the antec truePower. Don't chance your system by saving 20 dollars or such out of 1000 dollars on your power supply. Sure the others might work as good, blah blah blah, the keyword is *might*, just get an Antec True430. I have one of those on this box, an a7n8x 1800+ oc'd to a 2000+ and it works realllly good, can't even hear it.
May 19, 2003 6:18:07 AM

I run a FIC AT010 (9700 Pro) and mine runs great. I've had no problems with it. Mine was OEM (no bundled software).

"Quotes are for people that can't think for themselves"
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=23900" target="_new">My PC</A>
May 19, 2003 6:39:57 AM

I only suggested the Fortron model (in combination with another component swap) in order to make room for a better graphics card or better speakers. I know that Antec makes great power supplies. I'd never heard of the Fortron models until one of the more respected members here mentioned them. NewEgg had the Fortron model for cheaper than the Antec model so I saw an opportunity to knock off about $25 that could go towards strengthening other areas of this system without sacraficing quality.
May 19, 2003 6:43:59 AM

Appreciate the feedback. I'll make note of it. ;) 
!