Unable to enter Safe Mode

August 16, 2005 3:25:55 PM

Running a computer I purchased with Windows XP Pro installed (No CD). Will
not enter SAFE MODE when tapping F8 during bootup. Would not enter safe mode
even after deliberately crashing the computer (pulled the power cord while
computer was running). Any ideas?

More about : unable enter safe mode

Anonymous
August 16, 2005 3:44:10 PM

productepi wrote:
> Running a computer I purchased with Windows XP Pro installed (No CD).
> Will not enter SAFE MODE when tapping F8 during bootup. Would not
> enter safe mode even after deliberately crashing the computer (pulled
> the power cord while computer was running). Any ideas?

Go to Start / Run and type msconfig and select OK. Select the Boot.ini Tab and place a check mark in the /SafeBoot option. Press OK. Reboot the system. The system will now automatically go to Safe Mode.

Before exiting Safe Mode, repeat these steps and remove the check mark from the /SafeBoot option.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 3:58:26 PM

I got two replies to my request for help. I haven't tried either suggestion
yet but I suspect they will each resolve the problem in different ways.
Thanks for your help.

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> productepi wrote:
> > Running a computer I purchased with Windows XP Pro installed (No CD).
> > Will not enter SAFE MODE when tapping F8 during bootup. Would not
> > enter safe mode even after deliberately crashing the computer (pulled
> > the power cord while computer was running). Any ideas?
>
> Go to Start / Run and type msconfig and select OK. Select the Boot.ini Tab and place a check mark in the /SafeBoot option. Press OK. Reboot the system. The system will now automatically go to Safe Mode.
>
> Before exiting Safe Mode, repeat these steps and remove the check mark from the /SafeBoot option.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

August 16, 2005 5:33:08 PM

Look on your keyboard for an "F Lock" key. You need to press that
key before pressing the F8 key.

A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315222&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"productepi" wrote:

| Running a computer I purchased with Windows XP Pro installed (No CD). Will
| not enter SAFE MODE when tapping F8 during bootup. Would not enter safe mode
| even after deliberately crashing the computer (pulled the power cord while
| computer was running). Any ideas?
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 5:33:09 PM

Thank you for the suggestion. I suspect that's the problem. I got another
suggestion that would allow me to solve the problem a different way. Thanks
again.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Look on your keyboard for an "F Lock" key. You need to press that
> key before pressing the F8 key.
>
> A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315222&Product=winxp
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "productepi" wrote:
>
> | Running a computer I purchased with Windows XP Pro installed (No CD). Will
> | not enter SAFE MODE when tapping F8 during bootup. Would not enter safe mode
> | even after deliberately crashing the computer (pulled the power cord while
> | computer was running). Any ideas?

Anonymous
August 16, 2005 5:50:13 PM

Try the F5 key