newbie help with Gorgar Please

brianc

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2002

Hi, I am hoping someone could please help me get my Gorgar running.
I got the game but it was missing the driver and cpu boards.

I ordered the boards from Mike Cato and installed them, but the game
only comes up 1496 in the player one displays. Also 04 in the credit
display and 00 in the ball in play display. I tried the old switch it
on and off twice, but the same thing came up. A friend of Mike's sent
me another set of roms, and I installed them, but the game still does
the same thing.

I know for sure the driver baord works because I switched with my
blackout board.

Any help would be TRULY appreciated. If you think I need to send the
boards in to be repaired, I will take suggestions for great repair
people. I will also do a newgroup search for repair people.

Thanks, Brian

Brian,

I had the same problem with a Firepower. It came up in audit mode and
it would not run. There is a series of issues that can cause this
problem. It could be the 5101 CMOS rom chip. Make sure first that the
5101 chip is fully seated. Then make sure that the door switch is
working up into the the mother board. If you do not know electronics
very well, you can call me. I have the schematics and can walk you
through some simple tests to get it up and running. No gimmics.

Assume you've checked the obvious:
1) Power supply voltages (before boards are installed and after they are
powered up).
2) coin door setup buttons for continuity all the way to the connector /
shorts.
3) proper number of pinballs installed - I forgot if gorgar is a multiball.

Hope that gets you and us started to help you,

Bill

<brianc@crtelco.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I am hoping someone could please help me get my Gorgar running.
> I got the game but it was missing the driver and cpu boards.
>
> I ordered the boards from Mike Cato and installed them, but the game
> only comes up 1496 in the player one displays. Also 04 in the credit
> display and 00 in the ball in play display. I tried the old switch it
> on and off twice, but the same thing came up. A friend of Mike's sent
> me another set of roms, and I installed them, but the game still does
> the same thing.
>
> I know for sure the driver baord works because I switched with my
> blackout board.
>
> Any help would be TRULY appreciated. If you think I need to send the
> boards in to be repaired, I will take suggestions for great repair
> people. I will also do a newgroup search for repair people.
>
> Thanks, Brian

Also forgot - coin door open/closed sense switch - check that for continuity
to the connector and shorts. Are you powering up with the coin door open or
closed?

Best Regards,

Bill
<brianc@crtelco.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I am hoping someone could please help me get my Gorgar running.
> I got the game but it was missing the driver and cpu boards.
>
> I ordered the boards from Mike Cato and installed them, but the game
> only comes up 1496 in the player one displays. Also 04 in the credit
> display and 00 in the ball in play display. I tried the old switch it
> on and off twice, but the same thing came up. A friend of Mike's sent
> me another set of roms, and I installed them, but the game still does
> the same thing.
>
> I know for sure the driver baord works because I switched with my
> blackout board.
>
> Any help would be TRULY appreciated. If you think I need to send the
> boards in to be repaired, I will take suggestions for great repair
> people. I will also do a newgroup search for repair people.
>
> Thanks, Brian

brianc

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2002

Thanks guys for all of the ideas. I will work on it tomorrow and get
back to you!!

If I remember right, the wire to the coin door open/closed sensor was
cut. I will connect that 1st and go from there.

Thanks again, Brian

You need to have the coin door open so that the memory protect switch is
open (sticking out) before powering on. This allows the game to clear it's
memory in order to boot up after being "reset" by swapping ROMs, or having
the batteries out or go dead. Then do the power on/off twice. It should
come up into regular attract mode at that point.

Also, make sure the top two left connectors are plugged in right- they are
both 4-pin. One is for the memory protect switch and the other is for
blanking signal to the displays- you may have them swapped around.

Good idea to have healthy batteries installed in the battery holder on/for
the MPU board, and make sure they're making good contact with the holder
contact pads and that voltage is in fact getting through the holder and onto
the board. Mesaure for proper voltage between ground and pin #22 on IC19-
the 5101 CMOS RAM chip. If less than 4 vdc, then you've got bad batteries
or another problem where voltage isn't getting through.

If still problems, send the MPU back for repair or inspection- may have a
bad 5101 RAM, bad transistor array chip in the mem. protect circuit-
something like that.

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

<brianc@crtelco.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I am hoping someone could please help me get my Gorgar running.
> I got the game but it was missing the driver and cpu boards.
>
> I ordered the boards from Mike Cato and installed them, but the game
> only comes up 1496 in the player one displays. Also 04 in the credit
> display and 00 in the ball in play display. I tried the old switch it
> on and off twice, but the same thing came up. A friend of Mike's sent
> me another set of roms, and I installed them, but the game still does
> the same thing.
>
> I know for sure the driver baord works because I switched with my
> blackout board.
>
> Any help would be TRULY appreciated. If you think I need to send the
> boards in to be repaired, I will take suggestions for great repair
> people. I will also do a newgroup search for repair people.
>
> Thanks, Brian

brianc

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2002

Hi, only had time to check the door open/closed switch and it looks to
be wired correctly. I will check the rest tomorrow.

Thanks again for the ideas.

Brian

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Brian:

Open the coin door. Power the game up. There are two switches and a button
behind the coin door. One switch is marked "up/down" and the button is
marked "advance". Does not matter how the "up/down" is set, but push the
advance button and you will see numbers change in the credit display - going
from "00" to an unknown value, then "00 again". Cycle this at least twice.
Then, power down and power back up. IF the game won't go out of audit, you
have a bad diode, batteries, or 5101. This "unclog method" has worked for me
MANY times; if it does not, it's time to dig deeper.

Chris

<brianc@crtelco.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I am hoping someone could please help me get my Gorgar running.
> I got the game but it was missing the driver and cpu boards.
>
> I ordered the boards from Mike Cato and installed them, but the game
> only comes up 1496 in the player one displays. Also 04 in the credit
> display and 00 in the ball in play display. I tried the old switch it
> on and off twice, but the same thing came up. A friend of Mike's sent
> me another set of roms, and I installed them, but the game still does
> the same thing.
>
> I know for sure the driver baord works because I switched with my
> blackout board.
>
> Any help would be TRULY appreciated. If you think I need to send the
> boards in to be repaired, I will take suggestions for great repair
> people. I will also do a newgroup search for repair people.
>
> Thanks, Brian

Is the original battery holder in place, and is it warped?
If so, this could keep the game from booting up.

Pingeek
http://www.pingeek.com pinball show dvd's for sale

"Chris" <munsonjulieNOSPAM@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Brian:
>
> Open the coin door. Power the game up. There are two switches and a
> button behind the coin door. One switch is marked "up/down" and the button
> is marked "advance". Does not matter how the "up/down" is set, but push
> the advance button and you will see numbers change in the credit display -
> going from "00" to an unknown value, then "00 again". Cycle this at least
> twice. Then, power down and power back up. IF the game won't go out of
> audit, you have a bad diode, batteries, or 5101. This "unclog method" has
> worked for me MANY times; if it does not, it's time to dig deeper.
>
> Chris
>
> <brianc@crtelco.com> wrote in message
>> Hi, I am hoping someone could please help me get my Gorgar running.
>> I got the game but it was missing the driver and cpu boards.
>>
>> I ordered the boards from Mike Cato and installed them, but the game
>> only comes up 1496 in the player one displays. Also 04 in the credit
>> display and 00 in the ball in play display. I tried the old switch it
>> on and off twice, but the same thing came up. A friend of Mike's sent
>> me another set of roms, and I installed them, but the game still does
>> the same thing.
>>
>> I know for sure the driver baord works because I switched with my
>> blackout board.
>>
>> Any help would be TRULY appreciated. If you think I need to send the
>> boards in to be repaired, I will take suggestions for great repair
>> people. I will also do a newgroup search for repair people.
>>
>> Thanks, Brian

brianc

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2002

Still no dice on the gorgar. Here is what I have tried.

switched power supply board with my blackout

switched driver board with my blackout

tried the turn on and off twice quickly trick

tried the manual up / down and ran it thru several sequences, then
tried on and off

Checked the coin door open/closed sensor, looks good

Checked the 4 prong connectors at the top of the cpu. They are right

changed batteries

checked the battery holder. Solder joints look good

Ray suggested this, but I am not sure how to do this. Measure for
proper voltage between ground and pin #22 on IC19-
the 5101 CMOS RAM chip. If less than 4 vdc, then you've got bad
batteries
or another problem where voltage isn't getting through.

I am really new to SS machines and just bought my multimeter today.

Any other help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks, Brian

Does your CPU board have dip switches on it? Some boards are designed
to go into a test mode if some of the switches are set a certain way -
do you have the manual for it it should have this info.

Also, have you tried swapping the whole CPU/driver board combo from the
blackout into it? (You can do this without swapping the roms just to
test.... pull the solenoid fuse in case there's a coil that's pulled in
on blackout that's not on gorgar)

That'll at least tell you your coin door related wiring is ok.

brianc

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2002

my board does have dip switches, but I don't know where to set them,.
They are all off right now. I looked in the manual and it shows
something like 8 on for zero audit, 7 restore factory settings, 6
auto cycle mode.

I am not sure if any of the are supposed to be on for gameplay or start
up. If anyone knows, could they please let me know.

I have not tried the complete cpu/driver swap yet. I will try it
today.

Thanks, Brian

With driver board and power supply swapped, the only other part that could
be causing this is the MPU board itself- something on that board.

<brianc@crtelco.com> wrote
> Ray suggested this, but I am not sure how to do this. Measure for
> proper voltage between ground and pin #22 on IC19-
> the 5101 CMOS RAM chip. If less than 4 vdc, then you've got bad
> batteries or another problem where voltage isn't getting through.

Put red meter lead on the #22 pin on IC19 (top end pin above the indented
end of chip- may vary depending on how this chip is mounted/oriented on
board- see game manual/schematics for exact details).

Put black meter lead on any ground point. With game turned off, you should
see just over 4vdc with this setup. This indicates that proper power is
getting off the battery holder, through the blocking diode, and to the IC19
CMOS RAM chip.

If this doesn't check out, then you need to do some work on/at the battery
holder and over to the CMOS chip.

Beyond that, you could have a bad CMOS RAM chip, or a failed component(s) in
the memory protect circuitry on the MPU board. Either would probably
require sending the board out for qualified diagnosis and repair. See our
website at: www.actionpinball.com for a listing of board repair sources- in
the Game Service & Repair page.

Good luck!

Ray J.
--

<seymour-shabow@excite.com> wrote:
> Does your CPU board have dip switches on it? Some boards are designed
> to go into a test mode if some of the switches are set a certain way -
> do you have the manual for it it should have this info.

Doesn't have any affect in the Wms games. All DIP switches OFF will force
diagnostics mode on Stern games - the MPU200 series.

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Web: www.actionpinball.com

brianc

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2002

HI all, finally had a chance to put my working blackout cpu board in
my gorgar and it fired up just fine. Now I know it is in the cpu and
not the driver board or door open/closed switch.

Jim Partridge is going to try and talk me thru some troubleshooting on
the board tomorrow morning. I will let you know the results!!

Thanks again for everyones help.

Brian

Very good chance it's the transistor array chip used in the memory protect
circuit- fairly high failure rate on this part- have seen a few go bad and
cause this problem.

Good luck!

Ray J.