Intel Celeron M Processor

Hi, can anyone tell me what is the diff between a celeron M processor and a
pentium processor?

does it come down to performance? i purchased a laptop with a celeron M
processor. it's speed is 1.4ghz. someone told me because it is a celeron m
processor, it functons as a 2.8ghz baically, twice as quick. is their any
truth in this? i hope this is the case!!!! lol.

regards
5 answers Last reply
More about intel celeron processor

    "Pinto1uk" <Pinto1uk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, can anyone tell me what is the diff between a celeron M processor and
    > pentium processor?
    >
    > does it come down to performance? i purchased a laptop with a celeron M
    > processor. it's speed is 1.4ghz. someone told me because it is a celeron m
    > processor, it functons as a 2.8ghz baically, twice as quick. is their any
    > truth in this? i hope this is the case!!!! lol.
    >
    > regards

    Basically, half of the 1MB L2 Cache available in the Pentium M has been
    disabled in the Celeron M, giving it a total of 512MB addressable L2 cache.
    Also, some power saving features have been disabled in the Celeron.

    Having said that, for most applications, including multimedia, the Celeron M
    will perform equal to a Pentium M of equal clock speed.

    Carl

    Intel Processor Number Nomenclature System
    http://www.intel.com/products/processor_number/info.htm

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Pinto1uk" wrote:

    | Hi, can anyone tell me what is the diff between a celeron M processor and a
    | pentium processor?
    |
    | does it come down to performance? i purchased a laptop with a celeron M
    | processor. it's speed is 1.4ghz. someone told me because it is a celeron m
    | processor, it functons as a 2.8ghz baically, twice as quick. is their any
    | truth in this? i hope this is the case!!!! lol.
    |
    | regards

    First understand that both AMD and Intel have two similar CPUs
    in their product line. AMD has Athlon and Sempron while Intel has
    Pentium and Celeron. Basically each CPU has one difference, the
    L2 cache memory size.
    Intel also has the "M" product line that shares the Pentium and the
    Celeron names but are different architecture CPUs. Normal Intel
    CPUs dissipate around 90 Watts. For notebooks Intel created the
    "M" series that uses only around 30 Watts. It's this technology that
    was one of Apple's reasons to adopt Intel CPUs instead of the
    PowerPC chips it has used for years.

    Intel has a chart that shows the different products in their respective
    lines:
    http://www.intel.com/products/processor_number/info.htm

    "Pinto1uk" <Pinto1uk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, can anyone tell me what is the diff between a celeron M processor and
    > pentium processor?
    >
    > does it come down to performance? i purchased a laptop with a celeron M
    > processor. it's speed is 1.4ghz. someone told me because it is a celeron m
    > processor, it functons as a 2.8ghz baically, twice as quick. is their any
    > truth in this? i hope this is the case!!!! lol.
    >
    > regards

    if All udder things equal

    how is battery life on Cel M
    compared to Pent M

    "bumtracks" <lost@disney.lan> wrote in message
    > if All udder things equal
    >
    > how is battery life on Cel M
    > compared to Pent M

    Well, the Pentium M will "step-down" its speed and power consumption when it
    is not being fully utilized. The Pentium M can even step all the way down
    to a "Deeper Sleep" state where it will consume less than one watt of power.
    The Celeron M has no such features.

    Carl

Celeron Processors Windows XP