Intel Celeron M Processor

Hi, can anyone tell me what is the diff between a celeron M processor and a
pentium processor?

does it come down to performance? i purchased a laptop with a celeron M
processor. it's speed is 1.4ghz. someone told me because it is a celeron m
processor, it functons as a 2.8ghz baically, twice as quick. is their any
truth in this? i hope this is the case!!!! lol.

regards

"Pinto1uk" <Pinto1uk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, can anyone tell me what is the diff between a celeron M processor and
> pentium processor?
>
> does it come down to performance? i purchased a laptop with a celeron M
> processor. it's speed is 1.4ghz. someone told me because it is a celeron m
> processor, it functons as a 2.8ghz baically, twice as quick. is their any
> truth in this? i hope this is the case!!!! lol.
>
> regards

Basically, half of the 1MB L2 Cache available in the Pentium M has been
disabled in the Celeron M, giving it a total of 512MB addressable L2 cache.
Also, some power saving features have been disabled in the Celeron.

Having said that, for most applications, including multimedia, the Celeron M
will perform equal to a Pentium M of equal clock speed.

Carl

Intel Processor Number Nomenclature System
http://www.intel.com/products/processor_number/info.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Pinto1uk" wrote:

| Hi, can anyone tell me what is the diff between a celeron M processor and a
| pentium processor?
|
| does it come down to performance? i purchased a laptop with a celeron M
| processor. it's speed is 1.4ghz. someone told me because it is a celeron m
| processor, it functons as a 2.8ghz baically, twice as quick. is their any
| truth in this? i hope this is the case!!!! lol.
|
| regards

First understand that both AMD and Intel have two similar CPUs
in their product line. AMD has Athlon and Sempron while Intel has
Pentium and Celeron. Basically each CPU has one difference, the
L2 cache memory size.
Intel also has the "M" product line that shares the Pentium and the
Celeron names but are different architecture CPUs. Normal Intel
CPUs dissipate around 90 Watts. For notebooks Intel created the
"M" series that uses only around 30 Watts. It's this technology that
was one of Apple's reasons to adopt Intel CPUs instead of the
PowerPC chips it has used for years.

Intel has a chart that shows the different products in their respective
lines:
http://www.intel.com/products/processor_number/info.htm

"Pinto1uk" <Pinto1uk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, can anyone tell me what is the diff between a celeron M processor and
> pentium processor?
>
> does it come down to performance? i purchased a laptop with a celeron M
> processor. it's speed is 1.4ghz. someone told me because it is a celeron m
> processor, it functons as a 2.8ghz baically, twice as quick. is their any
> truth in this? i hope this is the case!!!! lol.
>
> regards

if All udder things equal

how is battery life on Cel M
compared to Pent M

"bumtracks" <lost@disney.lan> wrote in message
> if All udder things equal
>
> how is battery life on Cel M
> compared to Pent M

Well, the Pentium M will "step-down" its speed and power consumption when it
is not being fully utilized. The Pentium M can even step all the way down
to a "Deeper Sleep" state where it will consume less than one watt of power.
The Celeron M has no such features.

Carl