Spybot reports Security Center issue - SP1

August 17, 2005 12:19:55 AM

Today I had a message from Spybot which I didn't understand.
---------
Windows Security Center.AntiVirusOverride: Settings (Registry change,
nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
Center\AntiVirusOverride!=dword:0
---------

What action should I take?

From a little research, I get the impression that the 'Security
Center' is a WinXP SP2 facility. I have SP1 so how can the message be
valid?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
August 17, 2005 12:19:56 AM

Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD (it is FREE), and install it.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp...
--
XP-WNP
Today is the first day of the

"Terry Pinnell" wrote:

> Today I had a message from Spybot which I didn't understand.
> ---------
> Windows Security Center.AntiVirusOverride: Settings (Registry change,
> nothing done)
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
> Center\AntiVirusOverride!=dword:0
> ---------
>
> What action should I take?
>
> From a little research, I get the impression that the 'Security
> Center' is a WinXP SP2 facility. I have SP1 so how can the message be
> valid?
>
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK

August 17, 2005 12:19:56 AM

Terry Pinnell wrote:

> Today I had a message from Spybot which I didn't understand.
> ---------
> Windows Security Center.AntiVirusOverride: Settings (Registry change,
> nothing done)
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
> Center\AntiVirusOverride!=dword:0
> ---------
>
> What action should I take?
>
> From a little research, I get the impression that the 'Security
> Center' is a WinXP SP2 facility. I have SP1 so how can the message be
> valid?

Did you ever attempt to install SP2? Not meaning to insult you, but are
you quite sure you don't have SP2? Open the System applet in Control
Panel and look on the General tab. Again, I'm only mentioning this
because I don't know your skill level.

Otherwise, I would scan for malware with some other tools such as
Ad-aware. Here are general malware removal steps:

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing...

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 20:19:55 +0100, Terry Pinnell
<terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote:

>Today I had a message from Spybot which I didn't understand.

Email from SpyBot follows:

Hello Ed,

Since the download of the Detection Update from July 25, 2005, Spybot
Search and Destroy 1.4 is detecting Security Risks (renamed to
"Windows Security Center" since July 30) associated with MS
Anti-spyware Beta and Microsoft Security Center Registry changes. It
is neither a false positive nor a bug. It is just an information.
It only wants to bring to your attention that "someone" has disabled
one or more notifications in the Windows security centre.
If youâ?Tve changed the settings yourself you can safely tell Spybot
to exclude those detections from further scans. In order to do this
please right click on each in turn, then click "exclude this detection
from future scans". That way, should any other part of security center
settings change, Spybot will still detect those.

Some more information is also available in our forum:
http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=3...

Best regards,
Sandra
Team Spybot

Regards,
Ed
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 12:19:57 AM

Byte is incorrect. You already have sp2 installed.

Here is what I did.
If you don't want to use security center at all do the following step.
Do not tell spybot to do anything yet. Just close it,
In the run box type services.msc hit ok
Scroll down to security center
double click on security center
Select disabled. click ok Reboot
Run spybot s&d and choose fix the problem.
Reboot again
then run spybot s&d and it should not appear

Greg Ro

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 12:27:05 -0700, "Byte"
<Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD (it is FREE), and install it.
August 17, 2005 2:34:53 AM

Right click on the false positives and tell Spybot not to search for that
*detection* anymore.

Alias

"Terry Pinnell" wrote

> Today I had a message from Spybot which I didn't understand.
> ---------
> Windows Security Center.AntiVirusOverride: Settings (Registry change,
> nothing done)
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
> Center\AntiVirusOverride!=dword:0
> ---------
>
> What action should I take?
>
> From a little research, I get the impression that the 'Security
> Center' is a WinXP SP2 facility. I have SP1 so how can the message be
> valid?
>
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 3:13:54 AM

Ed <fake@fake.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 20:19:55 +0100, Terry Pinnell
><terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote:
>
>>Today I had a message from Spybot which I didn't understand.
>
>Email from SpyBot follows:

>Hello Ed,

<snip>

>Some more information is also available in our forum:
>http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=3...
>
>Best regards,
>Sandra
>Team Spybot
>
>Regards,
>Ed

Ed, Alias: Thanks both. OK, I'll either ignore it or exclude it.

Without this alert I wouldn't have discovered that I have at least a
registry key for Security Center, if nothing else!

Malke: No offence taken <g>. Yes, I'm 100% sure I have SP1. You
probably haven't yet seen my reply to your response to another puzzled
SP1 user in the thread 'Windows Security Center' in
microsoft.public.security.homeusers.

As you too have suggested, in that post I said I suspected that this
does indeed arise from when I installed SP2 a year or so ago, and
promptly uninstalled it when I hit major problems.

Unless anyone can see any downside, I reckon I'll just delete that
whole registry key. This is what it looks like:
http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Images/Security1.gif

The data under all of those other Monitoring keys is identical, and
just the default entry:
Name Type Data
(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)

BTW, changing topic a bit, there are some other odd consequences of
that brief SP2 flirtation. Something has got screwed up with WMI, and
as a result I can no longer get System Information. When I run
msinfo32 I get
"Can't Collect Information
Access denied to Windows Management Instrumentation server on this
computer. Have an administrator change your access permissions."

And another quirk: in Services, I can longer display Dependencies for
any service. Go figure... <g>

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Anonymous

Greg Ro <webworm11@yes.lycos.com> wrote:

>Byte is incorrect. You already have sp2 installed.

Not so! Although I won't be following Byte's suggestion, not yet
anyway. See my other reply.

>Here is what I did.
>If you don't want to use security center at all do the following step.
>Do not tell spybot to do anything yet. Just close it,
>In the run box type services.msc hit ok
>Scroll down to security center
>double click on security center
>Select disabled. click ok Reboot
>Run spybot s&d and choose fix the problem.
>Reboot again
>then run spybot s&d and it should not appear

Thanks anyway, Greg, but as I have SP1, I don't have a service entry
'Security Center'.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Anonymous

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 23:16:52 +0100, Terry Pinnell
<terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote:

>Greg Ro <webworm11@yes.lycos.com> wrote:
>
>>Byte is incorrect. You already have sp2 installed.
>
>Not so! Although I won't be following Byte's suggestion, not yet
>anyway. See my other reply.
>
>>Here is what I did.
>>If you don't want to use security center at all do the following step.
>>Do not tell spybot to do anything yet. Just close it,
>>In the run box type services.msc hit ok
>>Scroll down to security center
>>double click on security center
>>Select disabled. click ok Reboot
>>Run spybot s&d and choose fix the problem.
>>Reboot again
>>then run spybot s&d and it should not appear
>
>Thanks anyway, Greg, but as I have SP1, I don't have a service entry
>'Security Center'.

That is odd for it to show in xp sp1. You could possible choose fix
it. Since there is no such thing for xp service pack1

Greg Ro

Greg Ro
!