xp sp2 breaks mn700/730 network

Micrsoft broadband networking utility ver.2.0.0.638
errors out when started , stating this ver of windows XP
SP2 v.2149 has known compatibilty issues, when details
tab is clicked "nothing" as well "contact
microsoftnetworking" message is displayed. Block/unblock
(win firewall) window appears,if unblock is checked
utility seems to function. No new downloads of
documentation at Ms broadband networking .com. What is
the deal here? is this a security hole open now?

You must not have looked very hard.

Try here
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/10_DLoadMain.mspx

These updates were released a few weeks ago.

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"EJTDKWANG" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Micrsoft broadband networking utility ver.2.0.0.638
> errors out when started , stating this ver of windows XP
> SP2 v.2149 has known compatibilty issues, when details
> tab is clicked "nothing" as well "contact
> microsoftnetworking" message is displayed. Block/unblock
> (win firewall) window appears,if unblock is checked
> utility seems to function. No new downloads of
> documentation at Ms broadband networking .com. What is
> the deal here? is this a security hole open now?

Incorrect, if you look at my utility ver. below , you
will see I already had that update installed. Firewall
exception mode is the only way the utility will function.
Unsure if this is intentional or not.
Is this opening a security hole? My only question here.

do yourself a favor and uninstall your version of sp2 and
just download the new full final version.
i have no issues with my mn-700

Version 2.0.0.638 is NOT the latest version that was released last month.
The latest is 2.2.0.731. It automatically informs Windows Firewall that it
needs to use the network and is granted an exception.

The version you have is not automatically granted an exception and will not
work if you say no when Windows Firewall asks if you want to allow the
application to use the network. Saying yes means that you are telling
Windows Firewall that you want the BBN software to be able to use the
network and that it is a trusted application.

If you trust the application, you should install the update, which will work
better with XP SP2. If you don't you should not install the application.

--
Neel Malik
Program Manager

> Incorrect, if you look at my utility ver. below , you
> will see I already had that update installed. Firewall
> exception mode is the only way the utility will function.
> Unsure if this is intentional or not.
> Is this opening a security hole? My only question here.

Cs

Since you're using a beta release of SP-2 rather than the final version
which is available on the MS servers today, suggest installing the final
version of SP-2. Not sure if you can install the final version over the
beta you're running. I know that RC-1 and RC-2 are OK to install over.

"EJTDKWANG" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Incorrect, if you look at my utility ver. below , you
> will see I already had that update installed. Firewall
> exception mode is the only way the utility will function.
> Unsure if this is intentional or not.
> Is this opening a security hole? My only question here.

The latest MSBNU version is 2.2.0.731, not the version you listed.