What's the best deal in pinball?

I've been considering a new pin, and there's clearly quite a few very
nice/popular pins from the 90's. I'm lucky enough to have picked up a
TZ and FH almost 10 years ago (when prices were somewhat more
reasonable), but many other desirable title seem to be out of reach.

With good examples of MM going for more than $5K, and my TZ probably
only worth $2500, I have a hard time imagining MM is twice as good a
game. I'd really like a MM, but it's probably the worst deal in
pinball right now.

So with that said, what is the best deal in pinball?

I'm guessing it's an underrated (therefore undervalued) late 80's-90's
pin, maybe it's a recent Stern, or even an older EM machine.

What's your take on an extremely fun, yet available at a bargain price
pin? Emphasis is on long-term playability in the home. I've enjoyed
several machines on location that would not be suitable for home use
(Gauntlet syndrome).

-Sandro
15 answers Last reply
More about what deal pinball

    http://www.pinballexpo.net/ For a reasonable entry fee you get pinball.
    Machines, rare, common, parts, pieces, pinbrawl, people, literally the
    greatest pinball show on earth. LTG :)

    DM and Shadow come to mind.

    John

    You'll get a lot of opinion- what everyone else's favorite games are- but at
    the end of the day you're going to have to go with what you like personally-
    that's what counts in the long run. Whether "popular" or not.

    Personally- I think MM is 4 times the game TZ is- but then I can't stand TZ-
    I'm in the definite minority on that one- opinion.

    You may want to look at some of the "B" list games- early 90's
    Bally/Williams- most are at the low end of the price range but still pack a
    lot of punch in the fun department. Some of these are underrated, but then
    again we get into personal opinion...

    Some that come to mind:

    - Congo. Usually available very cheap. But a lot of fun in this game-
    ramps, 3 flippers, great multiball modes, skill shot mode, great
    audio/music- it's a fun game.
    - Dr. Who. Seems awfully popular and a lot of people I've talked to say
    it's well designed as far as game play and rules- good amount of pinball for
    the money. The raising/lowering mini playfield can be a real bear to have
    to repair stuff on, so consider maintenance/repair/service with this one.
    - Judge Dredd. Widebody pin with 4 flippers and 6 ball multiball- lot
    packed into this one- and usually at the lower end of the price range.
    - Johnny Mnemonic. Good playing game that often seems to be at the lower
    end of the range. May need some work with the robot hand mechanism as many
    do, so may be more higher-maintenance than others.

    I'm sure there's others, but stuff like this might be worth looking at if
    you want to keep the price down and yet still get a good quality
    (Bally/Williams) game that's got some fun packed into it.

    Enjoy!

    Ray J.
    --
    Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
    Salt Lake City, Utah USA

    Sandro Fouche wrote:
    > So with that said, what is the best deal in pinball?

    Well, despite what a lot of people are gonna tell you, it's definetely
    not some $1,000+ 90s machine. If you can do some simple repair work,
    and are willing to keep your eyes open, you can find 80s multiball
    machines for $100-$500 all the time.

    With very few exceptions, I don't think the 90s machines offer twice
    the amount of fun!

    DMD games that are cheap and fun-
    Dr Who, Jackbot, Dracula, T2, Fish Tales, are excellent machines. Dredd
    is pretty good too.

    PinJim is right about one thing, go back to the 80s and there are tons
    of great machines that are even cheaper.

    F14, Big Guns, Cyclone, Whirlwind, Pinbot, these are all very good.

    And don't forget Flash and Firepower, two excellent all time classics
    you should be able to snag in need of TLC for 500 bucks.

    Get out of the DMD ghetto!

    Demolition man
    Judge Dredd
    Who Dunnit

    White Water and Bram Stokers Dracula come to mind.

    --
    http://www.myhomegameroom.com

    "Sandro Fouche" <sandro..fouche@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I've been considering a new pin, and there's clearly quite a few very
    > nice/popular pins from the 90's. I'm lucky enough to have picked up a TZ
    > and FH almost 10 years ago (when prices were somewhat more reasonable),
    > but many other desirable title seem to be out of reach.
    >
    > With good examples of MM going for more than $5K, and my TZ probably only
    > worth $2500, I have a hard time imagining MM is twice as good a game. I'd
    > really like a MM, but it's probably the worst deal in pinball right now.
    >
    > So with that said, what is the best deal in pinball?
    >
    > I'm guessing it's an underrated (therefore undervalued) late 80's-90's
    > pin, maybe it's a recent Stern, or even an older EM machine.
    >
    > What's your take on an extremely fun, yet available at a bargain price
    > pin? Emphasis is on long-term playability in the home. I've enjoyed
    > several machines on location that would not be suitable for home use
    > (Gauntlet syndrome).
    >

    > -Sandro

    BS Dracula, Shadow, and White Water are amongst the best deals in terms of
    bang for buck. All 3 are top ten all time for me and are still cheaply had.

    - Kevin

    PinBotz -- Enhancements for Classic Pinball Machines
    http://www.pinbotz.com

    "Sandro Fouche" <sandro..fouche@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I've been considering a new pin, and there's clearly quite a few very
    > nice/popular pins from the 90's. I'm lucky enough to have picked up a TZ
    > and FH almost 10 years ago (when prices were somewhat more reasonable),
    > but many other desirable title seem to be out of reach.
    >
    > With good examples of MM going for more than $5K, and my TZ probably only
    > worth $2500, I have a hard time imagining MM is twice as good a game. I'd
    > really like a MM, but it's probably the worst deal in pinball right now.
    >
    > So with that said, what is the best deal in pinball?
    >
    > I'm guessing it's an underrated (therefore undervalued) late 80's-90's
    > pin, maybe it's a recent Stern, or even an older EM machine.
    >
    > What's your take on an extremely fun, yet available at a bargain price
    > pin? Emphasis is on long-term playability in the home. I've enjoyed
    > several machines on location that would not be suitable for home use
    > (Gauntlet syndrome).
    >

    > -Sandro

    Best Bang fer the Buck- Any System 11 games. Affordable, Available,
    Awesome pins. I love em! The feel of an E.M. with the solid state
    reliability. Some excellent titles always for sale on Mr. Pin at a nice
    price, You can buy 3 machines for the price of a T.Z and have alot of
    fun. (T.Z is an excellent pin too if you want to spend $2500+)

    chuckster wrote:
    > Best Bang fer the Buck- Any System 11 games. Affordable, Available,
    > Awesome pins. I love em! The feel of an E.M. with the solid state
    > reliability.

    Huh? DOUBLE huh.
    Sys 11 games have ramps Ems don't. Em games are reliable.

    The feel of sys 11 game isn't that much different than a WPC to me.

    Dr. Who
    Judge Dredd
    Bram Stokers Dracula
    Frankenstein
    Popeye

    Thanks my list and I'm sticking to it,
    Dave

    Sandro Fouche wrote:
    > I've been considering a new pin, and there's clearly quite a few very
    > nice/popular pins from the 90's. I'm lucky enough to have picked up a
    > TZ and FH almost 10 years ago (when prices were somewhat more
    > reasonable), but many other desirable title seem to be out of reach.
    >
    > With good examples of MM going for more than $5K, and my TZ probably
    > only worth $2500, I have a hard time imagining MM is twice as good a
    > game. I'd really like a MM, but it's probably the worst deal in pinball
    > right now.
    >
    > So with that said, what is the best deal in pinball?
    >
    > I'm guessing it's an underrated (therefore undervalued) late 80's-90's
    > pin, maybe it's a recent Stern, or even an older EM machine.
    >
    > What's your take on an extremely fun, yet available at a bargain price
    > pin? Emphasis is on long-term playability in the home. I've enjoyed
    > several machines on location that would not be suitable for home use
    > (Gauntlet syndrome).
    >

    > -Sandro

    Quit looking a WMS/BLY and check out those System 3
    GTB games or a few of the DE titles. CBW, SFII, Stargate,
    Teed Off, SMB, WWFRR, Batman, Batman Forever, etc.

    Older NOT DMD good values are out there, too.

    There are other makes....

    --
    Fred
    TX

    "Sandro Fouche" <sandro..fouche@gmail.com> wrote in message news:2005070216105716807%sandrofouche@gmailcom...

    > What's your take on an extremely fun, yet available at a bargain price
    > pin? Emphasis is on long-term playability in the home. I've enjoyed
    > several machines on location that would not be suitable for home use
    > (Gauntlet syndrome).
    >

    > -Sandro

    I have seen Banzai Runs, Whirlwinds and Cyclones sell for much more than BSD
    or Shadows usually take in lately.

    "chuckster" <crrogers@ptd.net> wrote in message
    > Best Bang fer the Buck- Any System 11 games. Affordable, Available,
    > Awesome pins. I love em! The feel of an E.M. with the solid state
    > reliability. Some excellent titles always for sale on Mr. Pin at a nice
    > price, You can buy 3 machines for the price of a T.Z and have alot of
    > fun. (T.Z is an excellent pin too if you want to spend $2500+)

    TFTC too!

    "Kevin Strasser" <kstrasser@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > BS Dracula, Shadow, and White Water are amongst the best deals in terms of
    > bang for buck. All 3 are top ten all time for me and are still cheaply
    > had.
    >
    > - Kevin

    > PinBotz -- Enhancements for Classic Pinball Machines
    > http://www.pinbotz.com
    >
    > "Sandro Fouche" <sandro..fouche@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> I've been considering a new pin, and there's clearly quite a few very
    >> nice/popular pins from the 90's. I'm lucky enough to have picked up a TZ
    >> and FH almost 10 years ago (when prices were somewhat more reasonable),
    >> but many other desirable title seem to be out of reach.
    >>
    >> With good examples of MM going for more than $5K, and my TZ probably only
    >> worth $2500, I have a hard time imagining MM is twice as good a game.
    >> I'd really like a MM, but it's probably the worst deal in pinball right
    >> now.
    >>
    >> So with that said, what is the best deal in pinball?
    >>
    >> I'm guessing it's an underrated (therefore undervalued) late 80's-90's
    >> pin, maybe it's a recent Stern, or even an older EM machine.
    >>
    >> What's your take on an extremely fun, yet available at a bargain price
    >> pin? Emphasis is on long-term playability in the home. I've enjoyed
    >> several machines on location that would not be suitable for home use
    >> (Gauntlet syndrome).
    >>

    >> -Sandro

    Stargate, Congo (~1200)

Games Video Games