ok when i reboot instead of getting a desktop and a taskbar, i get a windows
explorer window with the my documents folder opened.

the shell is set correctly in the registry to explorer.exe in
hklm\software\microsoft\winnt\currentversion\winlogon

i dont know what the deal is. all other desktop shell replacements will work
but i can't get explorer to work

the problem occurred after uninstalling a program.

Malke

spudly wrote:

> ok when i reboot instead of getting a desktop and a taskbar, i get a
> windows explorer window with the my documents folder opened.
>
> the shell is set correctly in the registry to explorer.exe in
> hklm\software\microsoft\winnt\currentversion\winlogon
>
> i dont know what the deal is. all other desktop shell replacements
> will work but i can't get explorer to work
>
> the problem occurred after uninstalling a program.

Please go to MVP Kelly Theriot's site here:

Click on "M" and scroll down to the "My Documents" section. You will see
the fix(es) for your problem.

Since this can also be caused by a virus, make sure you have a current
version (not earlier than 2004) antivirus installed using updated
definitions.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

my antivirus is up to date... im pretty sure it's just a registry problem.
the website you gave suggested 2 registry entries to check... the first one
was already the way it should be, the second thing it said to do was "check
your settings under 'Load' in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows"

well i checked it and there's nothing there. is there supposed to be? the
website doesnt say.

"Malke" wrote:

> spudly wrote:
>
> > ok when i reboot instead of getting a desktop and a taskbar, i get a
> > windows explorer window with the my documents folder opened.
> >
> > the shell is set correctly in the registry to explorer.exe in
> > hklm\software\microsoft\winnt\currentversion\winlogon
> >
> > i dont know what the deal is. all other desktop shell replacements
> > will work but i can't get explorer to work
> >
> > the problem occurred after uninstalling a program.
>
> Please go to MVP Kelly Theriot's site here:
>
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm
>
> Click on "M" and scroll down to the "My Documents" section. You will see
> the fix(es) for your problem.
>
> Since this can also be caused by a virus, make sure you have a current
> version (not earlier than 2004) antivirus installed using updated
> definitions.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

Malke

spudly wrote:

> my antivirus is up to date... im pretty sure it's just a registry
> problem. the website you gave suggested 2 registry entries to check...
> the first one was already the way it should be, the second thing it
> said to do was "check your settings under 'Load' in
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\CurrentVersion\Windows"
>
> well i checked it and there's nothing there. is there supposed to be?
> the website doesnt say.

Look under HKCU and HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
and see if there are any orphaned or odd entries in the right pane. If
there are, delete them. Since you know the name of the program you just
uninstalled, if you see an entry for it in either place, delete it.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"

nope, no orphans... but even if there were i dont think that would help
because explorer never even opens in shell-mode, but only in folder-mode and
therefore does not process any of the startup items, both in the registry and
in the startup folder of the start menu.

"Malke" wrote:

> spudly wrote:
>
> > my antivirus is up to date... im pretty sure it's just a registry
> > problem. the website you gave suggested 2 registry entries to check...
> > the first one was already the way it should be, the second thing it
> > said to do was "check your settings under 'Load' in
> > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
> > NT\CurrentVersion\Windows"
> >
> > well i checked it and there's nothing there. is there supposed to be?
> > the website doesnt say.
> >
> Look under HKCU and HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
> and see if there are any orphaned or odd entries in the right pane. If
> there are, delete them. Since you know the name of the program you just
> uninstalled, if you see an entry for it in either place, delete it.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

problem solved...

after searching the registry frantically, i finally found this registry key:
hklm\software\microsoft\windowsnt\currentversion\wow\boot\
the value "shell" was set to progman.exe (the win3.1 shell)

i changed it to explorer.exe and the problem was solved

spudly wrote:

> problem solved...
>
> after searching the registry frantically, i finally found this
> registry key:
> hklm\software\microsoft\windowsnt\currentversion\wow\boot\
> the value "shell" was set to progman.exe (the win3.1 shell)
>
> i changed it to explorer.exe and the problem was solved
>
> "spudly" wrote:
>
>> ok when i reboot instead of getting a desktop and a taskbar, i get a
>> windows explorer window with the my documents folder opened.
>>
>> the shell is set correctly in the registry to explorer.exe in
>> hklm\software\microsoft\winnt\currentversion\winlogon
>>
>> i dont know what the deal is. all other desktop shell replacements
>> will work but i can't get explorer to work
>>
>> the problem occurred after uninstalling a program.

I'm glad you got it sorted. Thanks for posting the solution.

Malke