What does Dell do as far as software?

Andy

I am wanting to order a Dell but would like to know a couple of things.
when you order a Dell and have them preinstall software such as Roxio
or something like that do you get the Cds or dvds and any literature or
is it all online literature. I already understand that with Office
basic you don't get anything unless you ask for the backups as one
salesperson said. But you hear so many different things. I have had
Dell refurbs as my last three computers. But it seems that alot has
changed with Dell lately. I love their customer support as far as
their online site. But as far a a computer goes a Clone is a Clone is
a Clone...also how well do the wireless keyboards and mice work with
Dell...thanks so much in advance...Andy

David

If you want manuals or documentation buy the software
retail. I would only buy oem software from Dell if substatially
cheaper.
(ie MS Works Suite is 29 from Dell and 99 retail)
The oem Dell software should come with a reinstall cd for
purchased oem software but that is it.
Keep in mind MS Office student and teacher addition (that anybody
can purchase) is 99 to 129 retail and can be installed on 3 computers.
With the wireless keyboard I would also probably buy a retail
one from a brand like logitech or microsoft unless it was quite cheap
(about 29) from Dell.
Dave

Andy

Thank you guys very very much for the info. Yeah I agree I have always
liked having a hard copy or manual I have always bought books or
manuals which have always back in the old Dos days even been forty or
more dollars for a bound manual...Once again thanks again.. I guess my
question was related to Roxio I see it at costco for like 79 with a 30
dollar rebate and I have a feeling that Roxia or Nero either one would
be better products than the Dell deluxe record now or whatever the
thing is...Thanks again Andy

"David" <davids1165@gmail.com> wrote in message
> If you want manuals or documentation buy the software
> retail. I would only buy oem software from Dell if substatially
> cheaper.

Software vendors stopped including manuals long ago. Very few actually
include a printed manual nowadays, and it's usually just a "quick-start"
guide. You pay $400+ for MS Office 2003, and get absolutely NO printed
documentation. If you like to actually READ documentation in paper form, as
I do, you must go out and spend another $40.00 for books pertaining to the
software. It's outrageous.

"Ogden Johnson III" wrote:
> I suspect what happened, over the years, is that S/W publishers
> found that people just would RTFM, and preferred to call in
> when they had questions.

(I assume you meant "wouldn't RTFM"). I kind of think the wait times on a
lot of help lines would discourage that. And I think people call because
they can't find it in the manual--lousy manuals probably generate a good
share of helpdesk calls. How many times have you seen a manual so utterly
basic it provided no help at all? If you need an explanation of
"superduper" mode, the manual goes no further than to tell you, "use this
setting to turn superduper mode on or off." Period. No explanation of what
superduper mode is. Cell phone manuals, in particular, are especially
frustrating, but we've also got plenty of software at the office with
printed manuals that are just as useless.

Our Samsung CLP500 color laser printer just stopped with a warning msg on
the LCD screen: "Waste toner tank full". When we got the thing we were
impressed to note it came with an inch-thick manual that we stashed in a
safe place. But now it was time to break it open for the first time and we
discovered it was thick because it had a hundred different languages and the
english portion was like 20 pages long. And absolutely no mention of where
the waste toner tank is or what to do about it. (A couple office workers
tinkered for awhile and figured out where it was and emptied it. I later
told them I don't think you're supposed to *empty* it, you're supposed to
*replace* it.)

Andy

Ogden I agree with you one hundred percent on the computer purchase
having nothing to do with the software you are interested in. The HP
people give you tons of software like the Home shopping network or QVC
do also. But the question is how much of it will I use in the next
three months. Well I can tell you from being into these things from 85
the answer is almost None at all...Thank you very much for the helpful
info...And to tell the truth after nosing around the Dell website does
have more helpful info than just about any other company. So I think I
will stick with a dell...Thank you very much for your input Ogden...Andy

"dg1261" <dgREMOVE-THIS1261@cs.com> wrote:

>"Ogden Johnson III" wrote:

>> I suspect what happened, over the years, is that S/W publishers
>> found that people just would RTFM, and preferred to call in
>> when they had questions.

>(I assume you meant "wouldn't RTFM"). I kind of think the wait times on a

I did. Can't how I originally elided the n't, but apparently I
didn't even catch it in the proof. Sigh.
--
OJ III

vinCe

On 27 Feb 2005 04:52:25 -0800, "Andy" <bruinfan50@aol.com> wrote:

>I am wanting to order a Dell but would like to know a couple of things.
> when you order a Dell and have them preinstall software such as Roxio
>or something like that do you get the Cds or dvds and any literature or
>is it all online literature. I already understand that with Office
>basic you don't get anything unless you ask for the backups as one
>salesperson said. But you hear so many different things. I have had
>Dell refurbs as my last three computers. But it seems that alot has
>changed with Dell lately. I love their customer support as far as
>their online site. But as far a a computer goes a Clone is a Clone is
>a Clone...also how well do the wireless keyboards and mice work with
>Dell...thanks so much in advance...Andy

I get the impression that the DELL wireless/optical mouse will consume
the batteries fairly quickly. The batteries had to be replaced just a
few days ago, and the DELL keyboard and mouse ($50) was received on 21
January 2005. Of course, I do not know how long they sat on a shelf
somewhere.

What I was surprised to learn is that the mouse operates with 27 MHz
technology. I thought that it would be somewhere up in the 54 MHz
band instead.

There has been no noticeable delay when using the wireless keyboard or
the optical/wireless mouse.

TRENDING THREADS