Memory in Laptop question?

LJ

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004

I have a have Presario X1370US laptop. The FSB is set at 400Mhz. The
memory is PC 2700 which is designed for a 333MhZ FSB. I would have expected
PC3200 ram? Anybody got an idea on this? --L

"LJ" <whatever@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>I have a have Presario X1370US laptop. The FSB is set at 400Mhz. The
> memory is PC 2700 which is designed for a 333MhZ FSB. I would have
> expected
> PC3200 ram? Anybody got an idea on this? --L

Unless I am completely mistaken, PC2100 = 400FSB, PC2700=533FSB.

At least in all the machines I own.

Tom

Correct... Ben Myers

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 22:10:22 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

>"LJ" <whatever@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>I have a have Presario X1370US laptop. The FSB is set at 400Mhz. The
>> memory is PC 2700 which is designed for a 333MhZ FSB. I would have
>> expected
>> PC3200 ram? Anybody got an idea on this? --L
>>

>Unless I am completely mistaken, PC2100 = 400FSB, PC2700=533FSB.
>
>At least in all the machines I own.
>
>Tom

LJ

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004

Thanks, Tom. OK, this is my info and the source (of course, this is for my
K7S5A mobo on the desktop. I have presumed that it applies to the Pentium M
Presario):

Here is a little chart comparing the new 'PC rating' system, to the 'DDR
rating', to the actual maximum MHz that the memory is rated to run at....

PC# vs. DDR vs. MHz

PC1600 DDR200 100Mhz

PC2100 DDR266 133Mhz

PC2700 DDR333 166Mhz

PC3200 DDR400 200Mhz

PC3500 DDR433 216Mhz

PC3700 DDR466 233Mhz

PC4000 DDR500 250Mhz

PC4200 DDR533 266Mhz

Note that the 'DDR rating' is always exactly double the MHz that it is
designed to run at.

This is because DDR is able to read info or 'data' on BOTH the rising and
falling edge of a pulse... hence the Double Data Rate (or DDR for short)...
but DDR266 is still only running at 133 MHz

http://p199.ezboard.com/fk7s5amotherboardforumfrm5.showMessage?topicID=1200.topic

My K7S5A mobo runs at 266FSB with PC2100 DDR. This is all kinda
onfusing. --L

> "LJ" <whatever@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> >I have a have Presario X1370US laptop. The FSB is set at 400Mhz. The
> > memory is PC 2700 which is designed for a 333MhZ FSB. I would have
> > expected
> > PC3200 ram? Anybody got an idea on this? --L
> >

> Unless I am completely mistaken, PC2100 = 400FSB, PC2700=533FSB.
>
> At least in all the machines I own.
>
> Tom

LJ

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004

I found out elsewhere that Intel uses a X4 ultimplier on the system clock
yielding 400Mhz FSB. (AMD uses a X2 multiplier on their XP line.) --L