Explorer detailed list on CD without groupings?

Is there any way one can switch off the stupid way XP is displaying
the contents of a CD-ROM disk in Explorer?
I want to use a simple detailed list view like I can do on regular
hard drives, but for some reason whenever I look at a CD-ROM XP shows
a sectioned list with letter separators or with time separators like
"Several years ago" and other stupid headlines.
I want to use that space for actual file data....

I have as yet not found a setting thta can fix this, help!

/Bo

Bo Berglund
bo.berglund(at)nospam.telia.com

Malke

Bo Berglund wrote:

> Is there any way one can switch off the stupid way XP is displaying
> the contents of a CD-ROM disk in Explorer?
> I want to use a simple detailed list view like I can do on regular
> hard drives, but for some reason whenever I look at a CD-ROM XP shows
> a sectioned list with letter separators or with time separators like
> "Several years ago" and other stupid headlines.
> I want to use that space for actual file data....

Open any Explorer window and arrange the files the way you like. Then
click on Tools>Folder Options>View. Click the button at the top that
says "Apply to All Folders". Now all your folders, including the cd-rom
one, should appear the way you like.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 15:53:46 -0700, Malke <notreally@invalid.com>
wrote:

>Bo Berglund wrote:
>
>> Is there any way one can switch off the stupid way XP is displaying
>> the contents of a CD-ROM disk in Explorer?
>> I want to use a simple detailed list view like I can do on regular
>> hard drives, but for some reason whenever I look at a CD-ROM XP shows
>> a sectioned list with letter separators or with time separators like
>> "Several years ago" and other stupid headlines.
>> I want to use that space for actual file data....
>>
>Open any Explorer window and arrange the files the way you like. Then
>click on Tools>Folder Options>View. Click the button at the top that
>says "Apply to All Folders". Now all your folders, including the cd-rom
>one, should appear the way you like.

Unfortunately this does not help at all (I already did this). CD-ROM
is NOT included in these settings (except it copies the detailed list
and sorting order, but adds extra stuff I don't want). It seems like
XP Explorer treats CD-ROM as some kind of magic type of drive and
wants to show it in a "special" way....

I want a detailed list of the files in my folders with the files
sorted alphabetically. This works well in all hard disk folders but if
I navigate to a CD-ROM then it changes completely to something like
this (trying to recreate the looks in a text window):

D5ADOExpress.exe 15 838 KB Application 1999-08-11 07:00
DeployADO.txt 3 KB Text Document 1999-08-11 07:00

LICENSE.TXT 17 KB Text Document 1999-08-11 07:00

RdmeADO.txt 5 KB Text Document 1999-08-11 07:00

Please note the extra space between all different leading letters and
the two lines contining the letter and separator line! Waste of 3
display lines for each leading letter for no purpose at all! 12 lines
to list 4 files!

Any suggestions?

Bo Berglund wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 15:53:46 -0700, Malke <notreally@invalid.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Bo Berglund wrote:
>>
>>> Is there any way one can switch off the stupid way XP is displaying
>>> the contents of a CD-ROM disk in Explorer?
>>> I want to use a simple detailed list view like I can do on regular
>>> hard drives, but for some reason whenever I look at a CD-ROM XP
>>> shows a sectioned list with letter separators or with time
>>> separators like "Several years ago" and other stupid headlines.
>>> I want to use that space for actual file data....
>>>
>>Open any Explorer window and arrange the files the way you like. Then
>>click on Tools>Folder Options>View. Click the button at the top that
>>says "Apply to All Folders". Now all your folders, including the
>>cd-rom one, should appear the way you like.
>>

> Unfortunately this does not help at all (I already did this). CD-ROM
> is NOT included in these settings (except it copies the detailed list
> and sorting order, but adds extra stuff I don't want). It seems like
> XP Explorer treats CD-ROM as some kind of magic type of drive and
> wants to show it in a "special" way....
>
> I want a detailed list of the files in my folders with the files
> sorted alphabetically. This works well in all hard disk folders but if
> I navigate to a CD-ROM then it changes completely to something like
> this (trying to recreate the looks in a text window):

> D5ADOExpress.exe 15 838 KB Application 1999-08-11 07:00
> DeployADO.txt 3 KB Text Document 1999-08-11 07:00

> LICENSE.TXT 17 KB Text Document 1999-08-11 07:00

> RdmeADO.txt 5 KB Text Document 1999-08-11 07:00
>
> Please note the extra space between all different leading letters and
> the two lines contining the letter and separator line! Waste of 3
> display lines for each leading letter for no purpose at all! 12 lines
> to list 4 files!
>
> Any suggestions?

No, sorry. You might want to check out MVP Kelly Theriot's site and see
if she has anything that might help. Click on "F" and scroll down to
the rather large section about Folders.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers