Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Anything I should know about 3-Display set-ups?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
March 15, 2010 12:03:57 AM

To be brief: I am looking to buy a new monitor. Within the next few months I will also buy two more to make it a three monitor set-up. I have not been involved in the gaming or computing community for a few years now and wanted to ask if there was anything special I should know before making my purchase.

I don't game much anymore, but would like to be able to over the next couple years if I chose to. I am looking for something in the $200-$300 range. I have been looking at just about everything that stood out on Newegg, TigerDirect, Amazon, etc. It seems that 1080p is the big thing. I am familiar with the other features to look for based on other threads I have read here. What I am hoping to get from some of you here go a little deeper than specs.

For instance, in one thread some guy was talking about wanting 22-24 inch displays (for a three display set-up) instead of, say, a 27, because of...I'm not sure really. He was saying something about resolution or something. Some other threads I have come across around the net also seem to suggest that some things are more desirable in a multi-monitor set-up than other thing. But, as you can tell from my post, they were not very clear. Someone else said that it would be better to go with a 16:10 monitor than a 16:9 because the latter would stretch things out too much for things other than movies. Does that make any sense? So....

What should I know and look for before I plunk down any cash for a new monitor? Am I going to wish I had gotten a different size, a different resolution, a different whatever? Is there anything special or different I should take into account or do I just look for a monitor I like and get three? Things like that. If you are fairly knowledgeable or experienced, I would love to know what you would get in my position. I am trying to future proof for a little while, and buyer's-remorse-proof right now.

For the record, I am currently thinking about the Acer H233H bmid and the Asus VW246H. I really wish the Acer had the nice trim bezel of the Asus. Oh well.

Thanks for your time.

More about : display set ups

Best solution

a b C Monitor
March 16, 2010 4:29:45 PM

I considered running eyefinity with 3 monitors but opted out for a single 30" monitor instead. Price is about the same.

a 30" monitor is about 2x1080p monitors. You get less for the money but you don't have to deal with the troubles of 3 monitors.

Make sure the bezel is thin.

Have at least one display with display port if you are running eyefinity because getting a converter can cost you $50.

16:10 is desireable but every company makes 16:9 now because there is less pixels, thus cheaper. You shouldn't worry about things stretched out if you are not playing games.

I wouldn't recommend multi-monitor for games because of dreadful support right now. Not every game supports crazy stretched vision.

Just recommendations for buying monitors in general. Get one with good color reproduction. Contrast ratio doesn't mean anything.
March 16, 2010 6:15:08 PM

Thanks for the reply. That is helpful. I don't do much gaming. In fact, I should just be realistic _ I don't do any gaming on the PC now and I probably won't start again - the XBOX is about all I can justify. That said, mostly it will be for productivity, web, some entertainment (DVD's, etc.) and stuff like that. One reason I like the idea of a multi-monitor set-up is because I need to have things clearly separated and designated. That is, I multi-task and have many different windows open at the same time (research, sources, Word, etc.) and my mind seems to work better when I can divide things more easily. Either way.

I suppose that once I jut let go of the PC gaming thing and realize that it's just not me anymore : ( - my wife will not want to hear that I am playing WoW again! - then a 16:9 would be fine given what you said. That helps.

Thanks again!
m
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
March 18, 2010 3:13:58 AM

Oh heres a few more tips. I had two screens for a while and this really annoyed me.

Different height of the stands. Make sure the height matches or you get a screen that can height adjustments. I ended up using some books to get my two monitors the same height though I never gamed on it since it was before eyefinity. I just hated moving my mouse between the screens and seeing my cursor drop an inch.

I have a 30" monitor right now and I have to so, it gets quite hot compared to my 22" so try to get something low power. It isn't that big of a deal but something to think about. LED monitors use much less power btw.
m
l
March 18, 2010 4:59:27 AM

Appreciate the further thoughts. I am learning a lot and feel like I am making progress.

Thanks!
m
l
March 28, 2010 7:56:52 AM

Best answer selected by voxdan.
m
l
!