VIA C3 Samaul 700Mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRC

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
Can a C3 700Mhz cpu handle downloading and slowly compressing video from a digital camcorder? I bought a low end computer believing my money supply was not going to disappear. It is. With a PyroDV or Canopus, would it hold up. There is that issue of float point operations at half processor speed (I think I read it somewhere.) Any hints please let me know. Thank you. Speed is not as important as quality of output.

Concerning the hardware on the machine, its the model being sold through surpluscomputers. It has a asus ME99B motherboard. ( I do not know if I will have to disable the on board video and audio.) The Hard drive is 10 G but I will buy a 120 G hard drive for the space. The ram is 128 at present but sdram is reasonably cheap - I can only put 3 256 meg strips in max. I was originally going to buy a generic firewire card, but software becomes an issue. That is the quick update. Thanks again.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TRC on 08/31/02 04:03 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

NurseMSIC

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
The only really important question you need to ask for this i believe is "Can i capture Digital Video(DV) from my camcorder without dropping frames". And the answer to this will most likely be "yes" although i would hasten to add that this depends on your system as a whole (including the chipset (the motherboard), amount of RAM (at least 64 MB minimum), and speed of the hard drive (at least 5400 rpm)). I have, for example, a couple of years ago successfully captured using a Pentium II 350 Mhz on an intel chipset, although failed using a K6/2 at 450 Mhz on a VIA chipset.

Once you've got the DV in your machine, the speed of the processor (and therefore the system as a whole) will only alter the speed that you render or whatever, not the quality of the output.

This any help??

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=19557" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=19557</A>

Status
Not open for further replies.