Windows vista 32 bit to windows 7 64 bit

gomilly

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
i have a problem regarding windows 32 bit and 64 bit. i really really want to get 64 bit and i dont even care if it would be vista or win7 i just think win7 might be easier these days. im a major noob at the moment and really just want some simple straight forward directions. my computer came preinstalled with windows vista 32 bit from hp but they wont help me. microsoft tells me i need to by windows 7 retail which is $300 nzd. i bought my computer for $180 second hand so it would seem crazy to spend this amount on os.
ive been doing a little bit of reasearch and found this

http://www.elive.co.nz/microsoft-windows-7-home-premium-64bit-dv5306.php

is this capable of giving me windows 7 64 bit if i do a clean install or whatever its called?
also i plan on upgrading my motherboard in the near future so will this product be able to be used then too?

Solution
Yep, if you do install Windows using that product, you will get a 64bit Windows Home Premium OS on your machine.

However, because its an OEM key, it will only be valid on that motherboard you install it on. So upgrade your mobo, then install this.
Yep, if you do install Windows using that product, you will get a 64bit Windows Home Premium OS on your machine.

However, because its an OEM key, it will only be valid on that motherboard you install it on. So upgrade your mobo, then install this.

Solution
Hi :)

Yes that disc will give you what you want.... you boot from it and it will FORMAT your drive (you lose everything), then after install you will have to get all your hardware drivers from manufacturers support website....

BUT....it WILL lock to your motherboard , so you CANNOT LEGALLY use it with a new Motherboard....

Your best bet is to change your Motherboard FIRST...

All the best Brett :)

gomilly

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012

thank you for that. what about upgrading within windows vista? what is required? my computer has an oem product key on the side, is that useful?

Far as I'm aware it isn't possible to upgrade from 32 to 64bit without buying a 64bit OS and doing another install. So chances are it would cost the same as getting a Win7 64bit.

If you had to re-install the same OS you have right now to the system it would be.

Going from 32 bit windows to 64 bit windows(doesn't matter if its XP Vista or 7) It requires a full install - there is no upgrade. Also an OEM license it married to the motherboard, and replacing the motherboard(with a different model) can cause issues with the license.

TRENDING THREADS