Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Than BLUE SCREEN ERROR

For the past month, every so often while playing "World of Warcraft" my son
gets a "Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Than" blue screen error. From looking at this
I get the impression this is not a driver issue, but an interrupt issue. It
talks about software and hardware stuff and does a memory stack dump. This
is the only game that does this, and from what he has been able to find
out, his experience is not unique. The operating system is XP SP2, it has
1.5 Gb of memory, the sound card is a Soundblaster Live and the video card
is a Radion 9800 128Mb

I've looked in BIOS and don't see anything that would relate to either a
sound card or video card problem, although that is what he has surmised from
discussions he has had on-line with other people who have experienced this
problem.

My question is this a driver issue of the video card or something else or a
software issue where there is an interrupt problem between pieces of
hardware connected in the system, and what can I do about it. It has no
impact on the game it seems.

Ron

99% of the time this indicates a problem with the physical RAM sticks in the
computer. Perhaps you have inexpensive RAM that cannot handle the demands
of the game.

Bobby

"Chopperdad" <scotty@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> For the past month, every so often while playing "World of Warcraft" my
> son
> gets a "Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Than" blue screen error. From looking at
> this
> I get the impression this is not a driver issue, but an interrupt issue.
> It
> talks about software and hardware stuff and does a memory stack dump.
> This
> is the only game that does this, and from what he has been able to find
> out, his experience is not unique. The operating system is XP SP2, it has
> 1.5 Gb of memory, the sound card is a Soundblaster Live and the video card
> is a Radion 9800 128Mb
>
> I've looked in BIOS and don't see anything that would relate to either a
> sound card or video card problem, although that is what he has surmised
> from
> discussions he has had on-line with other people who have experienced this
> problem.
>
> My question is this a driver issue of the video card or something else or
> software issue where there is an interrupt problem between pieces of
> hardware connected in the system, and what can I do about it. It has no
> impact on the game it seems.
>
> Ron

"Chopperdad" <scotty@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>For the past month, every so often while playing "World of Warcraft" my son
>gets a "Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Than" blue screen error.

What's the complete error message, and does it include any module
names?

How does original Dell memory with a passing grade on all tests in
memtest86, ver. 1.51 sound? I still suspect an interrupt between two
components in the system, although it seems to come down to either the video
or sound card.

Ron

"NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
> 99% of the time this indicates a problem with the physical RAM sticks in
the
> computer. Perhaps you have inexpensive RAM that cannot handle the demands
> of the game.
>

> Bobby
>
> "Chopperdad" <scotty@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > For the past month, every so often while playing "World of Warcraft" my
> > son
> > gets a "Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Than" blue screen error. From looking at
> > this
> > I get the impression this is not a driver issue, but an interrupt issue.
> > It
> > talks about software and hardware stuff and does a memory stack dump.
> > This
> > is the only game that does this, and from what he has been able to find
> > out, his experience is not unique. The operating system is XP SP2, it
has
> > 1.5 Gb of memory, the sound card is a Soundblaster Live and the video
card
> > is a Radion 9800 128Mb
> >
> > I've looked in BIOS and don't see anything that would relate to either a
> > sound card or video card problem, although that is what he has surmised
> > from
> > discussions he has had on-line with other people who have experienced
this
> > problem.
> >
> > My question is this a driver issue of the video card or something else
or
> > software issue where there is an interrupt problem between pieces of
> > hardware connected in the system, and what can I do about it. It has no
> > impact on the game it seems.
> >
> > Ron

Could still be memory...since it only happens on a high memory bandwidth
situation (the game). I would still be suspecting the RAM. DELL is not
known for using the best quality RAM in it's computers...whatever is
cheapest and "meets the specs". I doubt that IRQ issues are the
problem...Windows XP uses it's own steering for IRQ assignment, and if it
only happens when the game is played, I suspect the memory cannot handle the
bandwidth needed and locks.
This does not mean that the memory wont pass memtest...just that it cant
handle the demands presented by the game.

> [...]

> talks about software and hardware stuff and does a memory stack dump.
> This
> is the only game that does this, and from what he has been able to find
> out, his experience is not unique. The operating system is XP SP2, it has
> 1.5 Gb of memory, the sound card is a Soundblaster Live and the video card
> is a Radion 9800 128Mb
>
> I've looked in BIOS and don't see anything that would relate to either a
> sound card or video card problem, although that is what he has surmised
> from
> discussions he has had on-line with other people who have experienced this
> problem.
>
> My question is this a driver issue of the video card or something else or
> software issue where there is an interrupt problem between pieces of
> hardware connected in the system, and what can I do about it. It has no

Sounds like the game itself has a problem.

"Chopperdad" <scotty@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
| For the past month, every so often while playing "World of Warcraft" my
son
| gets a "Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Than" blue screen error. From looking at
this
| I get the impression this is not a driver issue, but an interrupt issue.
It
| talks about software and hardware stuff and does a memory stack dump.
This
| is the only game that does this, and from what he has been able to find
| out, his experience is not unique. The operating system is XP SP2, it has
| 1.5 Gb of memory, the sound card is a Soundblaster Live and the video card
| is a Radion 9800 128Mb
|
| I've looked in BIOS and don't see anything that would relate to either a
| sound card or video card problem, although that is what he has surmised
from
| discussions he has had on-line with other people who have experienced this
| problem.
|
| My question is this a driver issue of the video card or something else or
| software issue where there is an interrupt problem between pieces of
| hardware connected in the system, and what can I do about it. It has no
| impact on the game it seems.
|
| Ron

TROUBLESHOOTING
WINDOWS STOP MESSAGES
http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

lewis

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2003

Interesting, I just started getting this error on reboot. It's time to wipe
the drive and start again, and maybe that will get rid of this.

Nothing new has been installed on the hardware side.

RAM is original Dell.

Right now, if I reboot, I have to go into Safe Mode. If I reinstall the
NVidia video drivers, while in safe mode, I can get Windows to load. But, as
soon as I reboot again. Same error. Andthe screen comes and goes so fast, I
can't read more than the IRQL_Not_Less message.

Very odd.

David

"Chopperdad" <scotty@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> For the past month, every so often while playing "World of Warcraft" my
> son
> gets a "Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Than" blue screen error. From looking at
> this
> I get the impression this is not a driver issue, but an interrupt issue.
> It
> talks about software and hardware stuff and does a memory stack dump.
> This
> is the only game that does this, and from what he has been able to find
> out, his experience is not unique. The operating system is XP SP2, it has
> 1.5 Gb of memory, the sound card is a Soundblaster Live and the video card
> is a Radion 9800 128Mb
>
> I've looked in BIOS and don't see anything that would relate to either a
> sound card or video card problem, although that is what he has surmised
> from
> discussions he has had on-line with other people who have experienced this
> problem.
>
> My question is this a driver issue of the video card or something else or
> software issue where there is an interrupt problem between pieces of
> hardware connected in the system, and what can I do about it. It has no
> impact on the game it seems.
>
> Ron

Set your system so it does not reboot when the error occurs. (system
properties>advanced>startup and recovery - remove check from automatically
restart. Then post back with the complete error message.

<lewis@NOPLACEns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Interesting, I just started getting this error on reboot. It's time to
> wipe the drive and start again, and maybe that will get rid of this.
>
> Nothing new has been installed on the hardware side.
>
> RAM is original Dell.
>
> Right now, if I reboot, I have to go into Safe Mode. If I reinstall the
> NVidia video drivers, while in safe mode, I can get Windows to load. But,
> as soon as I reboot again. Same error. Andthe screen comes and goes so
> fast, I can't read more than the IRQL_Not_Less message.
>
> Very odd.
>
> David
>
> "Chopperdad" <scotty@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> For the past month, every so often while playing "World of Warcraft" my
>> son
>> gets a "Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Than" blue screen error. From looking at
>> this
>> I get the impression this is not a driver issue, but an interrupt issue.
>> It
>> talks about software and hardware stuff and does a memory stack dump.
>> This
>> is the only game that does this, and from what he has been able to find
>> out, his experience is not unique. The operating system is XP SP2, it
>> has
>> 1.5 Gb of memory, the sound card is a Soundblaster Live and the video
>> card
>> is a Radion 9800 128Mb
>>
>> I've looked in BIOS and don't see anything that would relate to either a
>> sound card or video card problem, although that is what he has surmised
>> from
>> discussions he has had on-line with other people who have experienced
>> this
>> problem.
>>
>> My question is this a driver issue of the video card or something else or
>> software issue where there is an interrupt problem between pieces of
>> hardware connected in the system, and what can I do about it. It has no
>> impact on the game it seems.
>>
>> Ron

Will give it a try. Thanks.

I've never got the error while working in Windows, only if rebooting. Then I
go through the drill noted below.

Cheers,

David

> Set your system so it does not reboot when the error occurs. (system
> properties>advanced>startup and recovery - remove check from automatically
> restart. Then post back with the complete error message.
>

> <lewis@NOPLACEns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Interesting, I just started getting this error on reboot. It's time to
>> wipe the drive and start again, and maybe that will get rid of this.
>>
>> Nothing new has been installed on the hardware side.
>>
>> RAM is original Dell.
>>
>> Right now, if I reboot, I have to go into Safe Mode. If I reinstall the
>> NVidia video drivers, while in safe mode, I can get Windows to load. But,
>> as soon as I reboot again. Same error. Andthe screen comes and goes so
>> fast, I can't read more than the IRQL_Not_Less message.
>>
>> Very odd.
>>
>> David
>>
>> "Chopperdad" <scotty@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>> For the past month, every so often while playing "World of Warcraft" my
>>> son
>>> gets a "Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Than" blue screen error. From looking at
>>> this
>>> I get the impression this is not a driver issue, but an interrupt issue.
>>> It
>>> talks about software and hardware stuff and does a memory stack dump.
>>> This
>>> is the only game that does this, and from what he has been able to find
>>> out, his experience is not unique. The operating system is XP SP2, it
>>> has
>>> 1.5 Gb of memory, the sound card is a Soundblaster Live and the video
>>> card
>>> is a Radion 9800 128Mb
>>>
>>> I've looked in BIOS and don't see anything that would relate to either a
>>> sound card or video card problem, although that is what he has surmised
>>> from
>>> discussions he has had on-line with other people who have experienced
>>> this
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> My question is this a driver issue of the video card or something else
>>> or a
>>> software issue where there is an interrupt problem between pieces of
>>> hardware connected in the system, and what can I do about it. It has no
>>> impact on the game it seems.
>>>
>>> Ron

We fixed it by updating the SoundBlaster Live drivers to the latest version.
Have been playing the game for over 4 hours with no crashes or lock-ups.
From what I gather, part of the problem was the SoundBlaster card is a Dell
OEM, since the drivers were specifically for a Dell factory installed audio
card and pointed to a particular driver version which was the original
driver for the card when it was installed by Dell.

> Could still be memory...since it only happens on a high memory bandwidth
> situation (the game). I would still be suspecting the RAM. DELL is not
> known for using the best quality RAM in it's computers...whatever is
> cheapest and "meets the specs". I doubt that IRQ issues are the
> problem...Windows XP uses it's own steering for IRQ assignment, and if it
> only happens when the game is played, I suspect the memory cannot handle
the
> bandwidth needed and locks.
> This does not mean that the memory wont pass memtest...just that it cant
> handle the demands presented by the game.
>
> Bobby
>
> "Chopperdad" <scotty@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > How does original Dell memory with a passing grade on all tests in
> > memtest86, ver. 1.51 sound? I still suspect an interrupt between two
> > components in the system, although it seems to come down to either the
> > video
> > or sound card.
> >
> > Ron

lewis

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2003

Did that. Here's the error:

*** stop:0x00000000A (0X000000B0, 0X00000002, 0X00000000, 0X8052D956

The text talked about disabling bios memory options, checking hardware,
software.

Sooo ... I did a few things.

Checked for rogue programs - had "Wild Tangent" installed - a game related
app - thanks kids - and removed that. Plus a few other old things, and
removed the latest video drivers - NVIDIA - and let windows install the
default ones ... problem gone.

I'm thinking Wild Tangent had something to do with it as it happened after
the kids were on the machine and I'm guessing they installed it by accident.

Thanks for your time. Hopefully this info helps someone else.