xp2500+ (barton) & asus a7n8x deluxe

csturdiv

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
I just purchased the asus a7n8x deluxe (revision 2) board and the barton xp 2500+ cpu. I am having a hard time setting the bios for this chip. Right now I have the chip running stable at 1.43GHz, but when I get it up to the 1.8GHz it should be, the system crashes on me. What are the proper settings in BIOS for this CPU and mobo? I also have a single 512MB PC3200 DIMM.

RCPilot

Champion
All you do is set the CPU Freq. to 166. Then your chip should be recognized at it's proper speed. If not, do you have your board set to Aggressive timings? If so back them down because your RAM can't handle it. BTW what RAM are we talking here?

Honey, what's that smell? Don't bother me now I'm working on my computer! OOPS!

ya you need pc2700 RAM. Do you have slower RAM? that would cause it to crash.

"Bread makes me poop!" - Special Ed

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

peter21

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Why would he need slower RAM that doesn't make sense he can run the RAM at any speed he wants. The memory doesn't have its own clock you set it in the BIOS.

--------
The only thing that i truly know...

is that i know nothing at all.

your not making any sense

if you buy pc 2400 you cannot run it at 2700. if you buy pc2100 you cannot run it at pc 2700.

If you don't know pc2700 is 166MHZ. In order to run your FSB at 166 your memory has to run at 166 also. If you have pc 3200 then yes it runs at pc2700. Running the RAM faster than what it's suppose to run it, thats over clocking. Just like you have underclocking too. If you underclock from pc3200 to pc2700 - thats underclocking.

If you PC 4 billion then ya i guess you can run it at any speed you want.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

"The memory doesn't have its own clock you set it in the BIOS.
"

Don't take this the wrong way but you're ignorant. You know NOTHING about computers if you think that RAM doesn't have a "clock". WTF do you think memory is!!! Memory runs at a speed rated in NS (Nano Seconds). Always has and always will because thats what MEMORY IS!

peter21

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
No what i said is that Memory doesn't have an internal clock. Do you see a crystal anywhere on the sticks of RAM you have? The RAM uses the Motherboards clock.

Insulting me only makes you sound dumber.

--------

is that i know nothing at all.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by peter21 on 05/20/03 09:20 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

peter21

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
By your original post i thought you were telling him to get slower RAM, i misinterpretd your post but its not hard to. He clearly stated that he had PC3200 RAM so i don't even know why you asked unless you did not read his whole post.

BTW: Your signature is just disgusting.

--------

is that i know nothing at all.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by peter21 on 05/20/03 09:11 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

endyen

Splendid
Right Peter. This guy has pc3200. With his board he can use any ram speed he wants. What I suggest is that he set everything to auto, and see what happens. I've heard that these boards sometimes come set up for durons ie the board jumper is set to 200 fsb. This can cause this sort of problem.
Too bad you didn't get 2 sticks of ram,then you could take advantage of the nforce chipset.

peter21

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Please Read this xxsk8er101xx maybe you can learn something for once, instead of calling people ignorant. This is from the Anadtech FAQs explaining RAM. Here is quote to emphasize my point:

"RAM has no clock of itself. Its speed is entirely determined by the motherboard, and the settings in the BIOS. One DIMM is not capable of being "faster" than another DIMM if they are both operating at the same settings."

"The PCxxx and CASx names are simply ratings of what the RAM is capable of running. For example, PC133 SDRAM is guaranteed by the manufacturer to run at 133MHz. This 133MHz is not a required operating speed; it merely indicates what the RAM is capable of. The same applies to the CAS rating.

RAM has no clock of itself. Its speed is entirely determined by the motherboard, and the settings in the BIOS. One DIMM is not capable of being "faster" than another DIMM if they are both operating at the same settings.

Because the PCxxx numbers are merely ratings, there are usually no problems mixing different RAM: PC100 SDRAM will operate perfectly fine together with PC133 SDRAM, using a 100MHz FSB. Remember you may try to run the PC100 SDRAM at 133MHz, but the manufacturer has only guaranteed it for operation at 100MHz. As usual, your mileage may vary.

Again, this applies to RAM of different CAS ratings. You can run CAS3 RAM together with CAS2 RAM, using the CAS3 setting in the BIOS. The CAS2 RAM will operate normally at CAS3. You may try to run the CAS3 RAM at CAS2, but as above, the manufacturer does not guarantee operation at this speed.

All SDRAM is backward compatible and can run at any bus speed slower than it is rated to run.

For example, a PC133 SDRAM DIMM is capable of running at 133MHz, 100MHz, and 66MHz. There are a few older
motherboards that require 66MHz SDRAM and that will not accept PC100 or PC133 SDRAM, but they are the exceptions to
the rule.

As part of the PC133 specification, PC133 RAM should be able to run at 100MHz, CAS2.

PC150 and PC166 are not official specifications, similarly with PC2400 (PC150 DDR) and PC2700 (PC166 DDR).

Looking at the speed ratings on the RAM chips themselves can give you a good idea of how high a speed the RAM can handle. The table below lists the nanosecond rating and the MHz speed rating.

12ns 83 MHz (PC66 SDRAM only)
10ns 100 MHz (PC66 and some early PC100)
8.0ns 125 MHz (PC100 and some early cheap PC133)
7.5ns 133 MHz (most cheap PC133)
7.0ns 143 MHz (most PC133)
6.5ns 153 MHz
6.0ns 166 MHz
5.5ns 183 MHz
5.0ns 200 MHz "

Enjoy!!!

--------

is that i know nothing at all.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by peter21 on 05/20/03 09:43 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

csturdiv

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
After running the cpu freq. at 133 for several hours without a crash, I rebooted and went into BIOS and changed the freq. to 166 and everything else to auto/optimal, saved and exited. Before the OS loaded, my system shut down. My memory is a 512MB PC3200 Kingston chip.

csturdiv

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
I'll give the auto settings another shot. For some reason I cannot remember if I tried this setting after I flashed the BIOS to the latest revision. I've been thinking about selling my 512MB PC3200 chip to a guy that I work with, and buying 3 256MB PC2700 chips. But I guess I better get my CPU running at the right speed first.

lonewolf1215

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
I have a similar setup to what he has. My system has the A7N8X Deluxe Mobo with an xp2600+ CPU and 2 256MB PC3200. The problem I ran into was that I had the BIOS setting set too high. I'm currently running a stable system, at the 200MHz fsb but I ran into a limitation where the BIOS settings for the memory was concerned. The highest I could set it without it crashing was at 1.67GHz. Anything higher causes the system to crash. Of course I have my XP2600+ overclocked which may have factored into the limitation although it seems to be running fine without lowering my clockrate back down. Now it is running stable and hasn't crashed since I adjusted the BIOS settings to correct the problem. I would recommend he set the BIOS settings for the memory back to the default settings and gradually increase them until he finds what the max limit is for that particular memory. I would also suggest possibly changing his memory configuration to 2 mem chips allowing him to take advantage of the Dual Channel that nForce2 chipset provides on the A7N8X Deluxe Mobo. He will find that his system performance will improve. Besides, DDR was specifically made for this type of system where Dual Channels can be used.

TRENDING THREADS