cmos password

I have a dell 20ept, model mmp with an Intel celeron, phoenix bios a10
on the bench. The customer tried to put winxp on it. However the
cmos is password protected and the install failed. They then used
MadBoot and KILLCMOS to try and delete the password, to no avail. Now
the cmos appears wiped clean, the date is 2001, there are no A,C or D
drives attached and it still wants a password to get in!
Is there a way into the cmos or should I tell them the upgrade is at
the computer store?

borgbilt@bellsouth.net wrote:
>cmos is password protected

With proof of ownership, Dell will give you the master password.

borgbilt@bellsouth.net wrote:

> I have a dell 20ept, model mmp with an Intel celeron, phoenix bios a10
> on the bench. The customer tried to put winxp on it. However the
> cmos is password protected and the install failed. They then used
> MadBoot and KILLCMOS to try and delete the password, to no avail. Now
> the cmos appears wiped clean, the date is 2001, there are no A,C or D
> drives attached and it still wants a password to get in!
> Is there a way into the cmos or should I tell them the upgrade is at
> the computer store?
Hi, what is about to put the battery out of the PC? Normally all datas of
the bios will be deleted.

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

totally incorrect regarding laptops

Fixer wrote:
> totally incorrect regarding laptops

Although on most modern laptops that's true (they write the data to the
non-volatile EEPROM so draining the CMOS battery has no effect), that's
not always the case (I've personally had to reset the BIOS p/w on an
older laptop using the CMOS battery drain method).

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

Ok incorresdct about dell laptops certainly in the last ohhhhhhh 5-6 years