300K bytes per second on MN-500

I am using a Microsoft 805.11b MN-500 as a wireless
router. But when I use Perfmon to check the file transfer
speed between my computers, it only shows about 300K
Bytes Per Second. I tried on both wireless and wire
connection and I got same result.

Would anyone help me to figure out what the problem is?

Thank you.

Jason
5 answers Last reply
More about 300k bytes

    For wireless sounds right. 300K bytes/s = 3M bits/s = 3Mbps
    -- after overhead this gets close to 11Mbps (you may be
    able to get a little faster, maybe 400K or 500K bytes/s,
    but depends on interference and noise on the wireless signal)

    For transfers between 2 wired connections, check that your
    ethernet cards are set to 100Mbps and not 10Mbps. Remember
    that the Modem port is limited at 10Mbps, and your ISP is
    probably even lower.

    Thanks for the reply.
    I am suprised to know that 11Mbps can only transfer data
    at around 400k - 500kBps.
    So you think I have nothing wrong with neither my router
    nor my NIC, right?
    Do you know how fast 805.11g can be actually?

    Thank you again.

    Jason

    I haven't timed the 802.11g, but you can expect also a
    "significant" overhead -- this said, standard Internet will
    remain probably a lot much slower for most people.

    You can look for 802.11g with turbo mode (combining two
    channels together) -- but they are not strictly standard
    (i.e. most often they are not interoperable with other
    vendors).

    Well since it is almost 4.90,909,090,909,090,909,090,909,090,909,09
    times faster at 54 mbps I'd guess about 1963 k to about 2454 kBps. But
    that's just me doing math with windows calculator. Now if you enable
    WPA instead of 128-bit WEP that will change the numbers. These numbers
    assume the only change is from 802.11b to 802.11g & that you get the
    full 54 mbps.

    Jason Lu wrote:

    > Thanks for the reply.
    > I am suprised to know that 11Mbps can only transfer data
    > at around 400k - 500kBps.
    > So you think I have nothing wrong with neither my router
    > nor my NIC, right?
    > Do you know how fast 805.11g can be actually?
    >
    > Thank you again.
    >
    > Jason

    Were you tired or not thinking when you posted this, because none of you
    math makes sense. You are right on the overhead though.

    I think some of your math is off. 3 Mbps is actually 3,072 Kbps while
    you are saying that 300 KBps which is actually equal to 2400 Kbps or
    2.34,375 Mbps is equal to 3 Mbps.

    lilo wrote:

    > For wireless sounds right. 300K bytes/s = 3M bits/s = 3Mbps
    > -- after overhead this gets close to 11Mbps (you may be
    > able to get a little faster, maybe 400K or 500K bytes/s,
    > but depends on interference and noise on the wireless signal)
    >
    > For transfers between 2 wired connections, check that your
    > ethernet cards are set to 100Mbps and not 10Mbps. Remember
    > that the Modem port is limited at 10Mbps, and your ISP is
    > probably even lower.

Routers Wireless Microsoft Networking