300K bytes per second on MN-500

Last response: in Networking
a b F Wireless
August 9, 2004 3:51:45 PM

I am using a Microsoft 805.11b MN-500 as a wireless
router. But when I use Perfmon to check the file transfer
speed between my computers, it only shows about 300K
Bytes Per Second. I tried on both wireless and wire
connection and I got same result.

Would anyone help me to figure out what the problem is?

Thank you.

Jason

More about : 300k bytes 500

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 9, 2004 4:31:21 PM

For wireless sounds right. 300K bytes/s = 3M bits/s = 3Mbps
-- after overhead this gets close to 11Mbps (you may be
able to get a little faster, maybe 400K or 500K bytes/s,
but depends on interference and noise on the wireless signal)

For transfers between 2 wired connections, check that your
ethernet cards are set to 100Mbps and not 10Mbps. Remember
that the Modem port is limited at 10Mbps, and your ISP is
probably even lower.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 9, 2004 7:18:51 PM

Thanks for the reply.
I am suprised to know that 11Mbps can only transfer data
at around 400k - 500kBps.
So you think I have nothing wrong with neither my router
nor my NIC, right?
Do you know how fast 805.11g can be actually?

Thank you again.

Jason

a b F Wireless
August 10, 2004 5:49:46 AM

I haven't timed the 802.11g, but you can expect also a
"significant" overhead -- this said, standard Internet will
remain probably a lot much slower for most people.

You can look for 802.11g with turbo mode (combining two
channels together) -- but they are not strictly standard
(i.e. most often they are not interoperable with other
vendors).

August 11, 2004 11:31:39 AM

Well since it is almost 4.90,909,090,909,090,909,090,909,090,909,09
times faster at 54 mbps I'd guess about 1963 k to about 2454 kBps. But
that's just me doing math with windows calculator. Now if you enable
WPA instead of 128-bit WEP that will change the numbers. These numbers
assume the only change is from 802.11b to 802.11g & that you get the
full 54 mbps.

Jason Lu wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.
> I am suprised to know that 11Mbps can only transfer data
> at around 400k - 500kBps.
> So you think I have nothing wrong with neither my router
> nor my NIC, right?
> Do you know how fast 805.11g can be actually?
>
> Thank you again.
>
> Jason

August 12, 2004 9:31:06 AM

Were you tired or not thinking when you posted this, because none of you
math makes sense. You are right on the overhead though.

I think some of your math is off. 3 Mbps is actually 3,072 Kbps while
you are saying that 300 KBps which is actually equal to 2400 Kbps or
2.34,375 Mbps is equal to 3 Mbps.

!