Sign in with
Your question

New HP (hardwired) printer sharing issues

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
March 16, 2010 3:02:07 PM

Hello,
I recently changed from a Canon printer to an HP Officejet 6500. The printer is connected directly into my (old) desktop running Windows XP. I have a laptop running windows vista that is wirelessly connected on my home network. I made the new printer a shared printer via my desktop. I am able to print from the laptop, but have no control over the printer from the laptop (namely to be able to cancel, pause, restart, etc.) With the old Canon printer, when I printed a doc from the laptop, the icon would show on the taskbar, and I was able to do any of these functions. Since adding the new printer. To further complicate matters, the old desktop is running a version of XP that does not display the "security" tab under the printer properties, so that I could manually enable printer security settings on this shared printer. I followed the instructions given on the microsoft website (select printer on printer menu, right click on properties while holding down the ctrl key, which should allow security tab to appear), but it does not appear. Namely, I want to be able to cancel a print job that I print from my laptop, just as I was able to do before with my Canon printer. I'm guessing Canon's software/drivers automatically granted this, but HP's does not, nor is HP tech support able to help me with this issue.
February 6, 2012 7:38:28 PM

kathyboat said:
Hello,
I recently changed from a Canon printer to an HP Officejet 6500. The printer is connected directly into my (old) desktop running Windows XP. I have a laptop running windows vista that is wirelessly connected on my home network. I made the new printer a shared printer via my desktop. I am able to print from the laptop, but have no control over the printer from the laptop (namely to be able to cancel, pause, restart, etc.) With the old Canon printer, when I printed a doc from the laptop, the icon would show on the taskbar, and I was able to do any of these functions. Since adding the new printer. To further complicate matters, the old desktop is running a version of XP that does not display the "security" tab under the printer properties, so that I could manually enable printer security settings on this shared printer. I followed the instructions given on the microsoft website (select printer on printer menu, right click on properties while holding down the ctrl key, which should allow security tab to appear), but it does not appear. Namely, I want to be able to cancel a print job that I print from my laptop, just as I was able to do before with my Canon printer. I'm guessing Canon's software/drivers automatically granted this, but HP's does not, nor is HP tech support able to help me with this issue.

I understand that you are unable to find the security
tab in the printer property page.

Please check if the 'simple file sharing' is enabled. In XP Professional 'simple file sharing' hides the Security tab.

1. Please open 'Printers and Faxes' page and select Tools -> Folder Options-> View.
2. Then move the 'slider' to the bottom and, if there's a line that says 'Use Simple File Sharing', uncheck the box and click OK.
3. Now you can right-click on your printer icon, select 'sharing', and >there should now be a 'Security' tab.
m
l
a c 205 D Laptop
a b α HP
February 7, 2012 5:03:00 PM

That model of printer has networking built-in. Why not just run the network setup on the thing, and on the computers, and connect it directly to your router? That way you don't need to have the desktop PC on when you want to print and not have to deal with sharing or driver issues. Here is the manual http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01669504.pdf check it for network config.
m
l
!