Max HD Capacity for GX1 and GX110

I was wondering if anyone knew what the maximum hard drive capacity is for
the Dell Optiplex GX1 and Dell Optiplex GX110. I have looked through the
documents on Dell's support site, but can only find out what the largest
size hard drive that shipped with those machines. What I need to know is
what the largest size hard drive the onboard IDE will auto-detect and work
OK with the system. The machines in question all have the latest BIOS and
were purchased between 8/99 (GX1) and 9/00 (GX110).

Thanks for your help.

Mike

M. Hale wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone knew what the maximum hard drive capacity
is for
> the Dell Optiplex GX1 and Dell Optiplex GX110. I have looked through
the
> documents on Dell's support site, but can only find out what the
largest
> size hard drive that shipped with those machines. What I need to
know is
> what the largest size hard drive the onboard IDE will auto-detect and
work
> OK with the system. The machines in question all have the latest
BIOS and
> were purchased between 8/99 (GX1) and 9/00 (GX110).
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Mike

Up to 120 Gbyte drives will work without modifications; the GX1 has a
bios display limitation to 65535 Mbytes but the drive will still work
OK. Drives larger than 137Gbytes require either special manufacturer
supplied overlay software or a PCI IDE controller board. The GX1
in-built controller will only run the drives at ATA 33 speeds (not sure
of the GX110 but it may only be ATA 66); adding a PCI IDE controller
will overcome this limitation, but beware - only a few Promise and SIIG
controllers are known to work with the GX1 - generic ones don't tend to
work!