Sign in with
Your question

1st-time builder...how's this one-notch-down P4?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
May 21, 2003 5:20:28 PM

Hi all. Finally building a system for myself, selected these components using a "one-notch-down" philosophy, i.e., nothing quite on the bleeding edge but still very good components for much cheaper than bleeding edge would cost. Plan to be playing games like Morrowind, Thief III, i.e. single-player RPG or stealth games.

All parts ordered from NewEgg.com. Have already got a 19" monitor, CD burner, sound card to add in. Did I screw up anywhere? Foresee any problems I missed? TIA!

Case: ANTEC Performance PLUS Model PLUS1080AMG- with Antec Original TRUE 430W P4 Power Supply ATX12V Retail - $123.99

Hard Drive: WD WESTERN DIGITAL "SPECIAL EDITION" 120GB 7200RPM EIDE HARD DRIVE MODEL # WD1200JB - OEM, DRIVE ONLY - $121

Memory: CORSAIR MEMORY XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, Low Latency (Twin Pack) 1GB(2 x 512MB) 2x(64MX64) PC-3200LL With Black Heat Spreader.Retail - $283.50

Motherboard: ABIT IC7, Intel 875P chipset for Socket 478 P4 Canterwood ATX motherboard RETAIL - $145

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 / 2.8 GHz Northwood 512K Socket 478 Processor 533MHz Processor Bus Retail - $255

Video Card: ATI All-In-Wonder RADEON 9700 PRO 128MB DDR 8X AGP RETAIL - $358

Plus an $8 floppy drive, total comes to: $1294.49. Shipping is an extra $30. How'd I do? I'm anticipating problems with the video card...

More about : 1st time builder notch

May 21, 2003 5:50:30 PM

You are getting a canterwood mobo and not a fsb800 proc??? get the 2.8C or the 2.6C..They're better.
Problems with Video card???What sort of problems. That thing rox!

<font color=blue><b>OKK!! Which one of you wise guys stole my sig! :frown: :tongue: </font color=blue></b><font color=red><b><i>Jay Kay</font color=red></b></i>
May 21, 2003 5:51:24 PM

Looks like an excellent config... but wait... OH NO!!! Don´t do that! :eek:  <i>(533Mhz FSB? :frown: )</i>

Try to get a 2.6C (for less money than the 2.8B, and more performance!) or a 2.8C (for slightly more money, but excellent performance! And it´s top-notch-down, indeed!)

You might also consider saving the money for the Canterwood mobo and get a nice Springdale mobo, like P4P800 or something. They offer quite comparable performance, and for the cost difference, you can try to squeeze in more memory or a better video card... although that one is already tough to beat.
May 21, 2003 5:56:46 PM

Hello,

From what I learned from the reviews, I think the Abit is not quite a good choice for the mobo. Performs not really good. Actually it was the worse contender in THG's review.

For the rest it looks like a nice (but still expensive, to me, at least) system.

Greetz,
Bikeman

<i>Then again, that's just my opinion</i>
May 21, 2003 7:01:58 PM

IC7 (non -G version) doesn't have LAN so get a NIC if you need one. Would only cost about $10-$15.
May 22, 2003 4:42:47 PM

Yeah, I actually put this config together a couple of weeks ago, and made the horrible mistake of ordering about three days ago...just a couple of more days and I could've gotten an 800MHz FSB processor. (cry) I don't know if I can return the chip, so if not, it's still going to blow away the crap rig I've had for years. Heh. And I'm planning on upgrading again in a year anyway, so...maybe it won't be so bad.

Your guys' comments about the mobo are interesting though...what's the difference between a Springdale and a Canterwood motherboard?

(P.S. I've got a decent WAN set-up, that's covered.)

Thanks for your replies!

~Leah
May 22, 2003 4:53:46 PM

Oh, and about "problems with the video card"...just meant that the Radeon has had some compatibility problems with some of the games I want to play (Morrowind, Neverwinter Nights, etc.), so I'll have to learn a lot of stuff about tweaking it...have used nVidia cards for a while and never tinkered much with them. It's actually a good thing, I should know more about that anyway.
!