new to compaq need help

ok i just got a p3 1000 deskpro en 256mb ram
ive installed an older harddrive (maxtor 40gig) win98se
on board sound, lan, video

everything is fine for about 2 minutes work time then i get a insufficient
memory error

ive downloaded the lan driver but it says it isnt the right one. tried
several in fact...

problem
no lan = no net
no net = no other drivers to fix the usual set of problems

ive got the compaq site and seen what it has to offer for solutions but cant
get there to do any of it

what did i miss?
tim

> ok i just got a p3 1000 deskpro en 256mb ram
> ive installed an older harddrive (maxtor 40gig) win98se
> on board sound, lan, video
>
> everything is fine for about 2 minutes work time then i get a insufficient
> memory error
>
> ive downloaded the lan driver but it says it isnt the right one. tried
> several in fact...
>
> problem
> no lan = no net
> no net = no other drivers to fix the usual set of problems
>

> ive got the compaq site and seen what it has to offer for solutions but
cant
> get there to do any of it
>
> what did i miss?
> tim

In general when I can't get a device to work with it's driver then I look at
the PCI bridge software driver. Was the win98 installed with this mother
board ? Did you look for the other mother board drivers ?
Look here for a related issue:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/techpubs/customer_advisories/DC010628_CW01_1.html

The Deskpro EN computers all use a variation of the Intel 815 chipset. Windows
98SE became available before the chipset was shipped, so you need to download
the drivers for it.

Go to the Intel web site, seach for any 815 chipset motherboard, and download
the basic motherboard drivers (file name something infinst_enu.exe), and (I
think) the 815 graphics drivers. While you're there, download the Intel 10/100
drivers for th built-in Ethernet (Intel Pro 100) and audio (AC97 for the ADI
SoundMax chip).

The drivers from the Intel web site work just fine in any brand of motherboard,
because the chipsets are the same... Ben Myers