building an xp 2600, having problems

pcnewb

Distinguished
May 21, 2003
This is my first time building a total machine, but i've changed out drives and ram etc before. I have an xp 2600 retail and a leadtek winfast k7ncr18 nforce2 mobo. To my knowledge everything was plugged in properly. I used one of toms guides when building. When I turn the power on it shuts right off within a second. Made sure everything is firmly in place, the fans, ram, moboard and cpu are all i have in there now and it still wont boot. The fans are spinning up too. Wasnt sure where to post something like this but any help appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Make sure your cpu heatsink fan is plugged into the correct outlet, or some mobos will shut down quickly to prevent overheating. Try moving the cmos jumper over one position for a few seconds with the power supply unplugged, then return to normal running postion. Check your jumpers again, especially on the hardrive. Make sure your ddram is seated properly in the slot. It should make a distinctive clicking sound when installing, and the white clips should engage fully. If nothing else works, completely remove the board and try just one stick of ram with cpu/heatsink and video card to see if will post.

pcnewb

Distinguished
May 21, 2003
thanks for the help. i tried your suggestions. the hard drive jumper was set to master instead of single. so i set it to single. 1 stick of ram the mobo and video, hs and processor. same thing... i'm puzzled everything seems to operate even the mobo is getting po wer because the onboard network card light comes on. =(

pcnewb

Distinguished
May 21, 2003
just thought it might be the powersupply and i changed cases real fast and i cant even get it to come on for 1 second now lol

rcj187

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
is your cpu fan plugged into the correct place? it sounds like its overheating and the safety is shutting you down to prevent damage so..
check ALL motherboard jumpers are set correctly
check hsf is mounted the right way round and the thermal pad is making proper contact
check the hsf is properly connected
check you dont have a mounting post shorting out some part of your mobo underneath
if everything is good and it still doesnt work take it all out of the case and build it up OUTSIDE the case with just 1 ram cpu 1hdd and pci graphics if you got it. if it works then go back and check everything in the case then put it all back in. if it doesnt work i would say either your mobo or cpu is scrwed. if you can try the cpu on another mobo and another cpu on that mobo. try another ram stick if you have it and try using a different ram slot.