Sign in with
Your question

celeron sucks??? or ??

Last response: in CPUs
May 22, 2003 6:17:31 AM

i have a celeron 1.7 with 512 ddr.. but it seems like it is now slower then my old PIII 650 with 512 sdr... especially windows perf. does anyone know if that is possible ??

More about : celeron sucks

May 22, 2003 8:09:19 AM

the p4 celerons ar a joke. if they were cheaper it wouldnt be so bad but..
if you are seeing a slwdown though it might be time for you to clean up our computer. defrag the hard drive get rid of any internet junk - cookies etc. go into msconfig and uncheck any startup items you dont need running. try that and see if it makes a difference. if not then its purely down to that crappy celeron your running.
May 22, 2003 8:45:23 AM

Better to run a Duron if you are after cheap, but then you could get an AXP1700 T-Bred B for 47 bucks at newegg.com. At that point, overclock it baby!

What are we going to do tonight Brain?
The same thing we do every night Pinky; <b>Try to take over the world!</b>
Related resources
May 22, 2003 9:10:52 AM

for the price of a celeron1700 i could buy an axp1900+.. now i wonder which one would be better...hmmm
May 22, 2003 11:49:53 AM

Celeron P4s suck, there's no point in them.

Better return it for a cheap AMD.
Then again it is not normal if it's THAT slow. Maybe if your CPU was a 1GHZ P3 I'd understand, but 650 is a tad far. I'd go look into the Windows cleanup, if you haven't formatted when installing the new CPU.

--
If I could see the Matrix, I'd tell you I am only seeing 0s inside your head! :tongue:
May 22, 2003 3:19:18 PM

Celerons are crap... They are advertised as being fast, but what Intel doesn't tell you is that they have a very small cache. As a result, they are SLOW. In fact, an older lady here bought a Dell with a 2Ghz Celeron, and it is a lot slower than my old 866 Mhz P3.

Celerons are fine if all you do is use AOL, such as the old lady I mentioned above, but if you have any desire to play games or anything else above basic word processing, spend an extra $100-200 and get yourself either a real P4 or an AMD proccessor.

- Daniel (daniel1113@attbi.com)
May 22, 2003 4:12:50 PM

yes celerons are the worst CPU's out there.

Given that a 1.7ghz pentium 4 runs like a pentium 3 933, a celeron 1.7ghz would definitly feel slower.

This is probably the biggest joke about Intel. Their celeron CPU's. Which is why i'd never buy one.

You could easily upgrade to a 2.4ghz pentium 4 for like a 160 bucks. You would notice a difference!

Intel Pentium 4 2.4BGHz 512K 533MHz CPU Northwood P478 Processor Retail Box $161.00 @ www.newegg.com.

You should be able to pop that in! :) 

Anotherthing you couls try and do is delete all the spyware, download adaware 6.0! You can also defrag you're hard drive. delete the temp files too! It's under c:\windows\temp ... not the folder, the files in that folder!

"Bread makes me poop!" - Special Ed

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>
May 22, 2003 4:15:44 PM

amd cpu's don't fit in pentium 4 motherboards.

He would also have to spend another 130 bucks for the motherboard and if he uses rdram, thats another 100 bucks for DDR RAM. So you're talking 360 bucks for AMD compared to 160 for intel.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>
May 22, 2003 4:19:18 PM

HELLO! what the hell would buying an AMD chip do him? he has an intel set up! AMD's don't fit in pentium 4 motherboards!

Why in gods name would he spend 400 bucks to switch to AMD because you AMD extremist nazi tells him too when he can just spend 161 dollars to do the same damn thing faster!

May 22, 2003 4:49:19 PM

This is exactly what I point out to people who say that AMD fools customers with their PR rating.
Yes, an AMD XP2000+ doesn't run at 2.0 Ghz, but its performance is comparable to a 2.0 Ghz P4. But a 2.0 Ghz Celeron is not even close to a 2.0 Ghz P4 or an XP2000+, so in the end who is fooling customers?

May 22, 2003 5:30:14 PM

Celerons and Durons are the Geo Metros of cpu's
May 22, 2003 5:40:12 PM

When you are talking low end I would not even bother with a Celeron or Duron. An XP processor is so much better than both...
$41 Athlon XP 1700
$56 - Celeron 1.7GHz

And guess which one runs better :wink:

prices found on pricewatch....

There is no Spoon....
May 22, 2003 6:34:14 PM

guess which processor he CAN'T use!!!!

You guys are fricking confusing this guy. He's gonna think he can pop in an athlon xp in his pentium 4 motherboard!

May 22, 2003 7:34:34 PM

You can't use rdram with AMD...

<font color=blue>Let's see, 500 posts a day, each day, for 30 days, and I will have more posts than Crashman!</font color=blue>
May 22, 2003 7:59:55 PM

Quote:
you AMD extremist nazi

That was uncalled for, you are not respected anymore by me, and therefore I will choose to ignore replying to you, following this post.

--
If I could see the Matrix, I'd tell you I am only seeing 0s inside your head! :tongue:
May 22, 2003 8:07:21 PM

I apoligize if my post was confusing. I wasn't suggesting that he should purchase an AMD, I was just saying that they were better than Celerons.

May 22, 2003 8:54:47 PM

i swear to god i'm gonna fricken scream!!!!!

OK use you're brain!!!

He says he has a celeron. Is celeron Intel or AMD? you retards think a celeron is a AMD chip for some reason!!!!

Celeron IS Intel. Intel was and is paired with RDRAM AND DDR-SDRAM! Celeron uses a different socket then AMD does not to mention a different bus and design.

you CANNOT put a AMD CPU in an Intel Board! SO telling him to buy an AXP2100+ isn't going ot help him!!!! He's going to buy it and it won't fit!!!! WHY? BECAUSE HE HAS AN INTEL PENTIUM 4 MOTHERBOARD YOU RETARDS!!!! and gee hmmm are pentiums paired with RDRAM? Gee i wonder!!!

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 22, 2003 11:14:37 PM

alright guys i know i cant put an AMD xp or duron on my mainboard.. and i really wont buy a new mainboard+amd cpu just for getting a higher fps on doom 3 ... so i think i'll just get a real P4 something with 512 cache ... at least that will cost me less then a new amd cpu + mainboard... or eventually the same price.. hmmmzzz... but what i can see is there is no no no point in buying a faster celeron like 2ghz .... cos celeron really sucks ...
May 22, 2003 11:21:27 PM

xxsk8er101xx,

Why don't you start using your head before you lose it. None of us are comparing Celerons to AMDs or saying that AMD make them or that an AMD is compatible with an Intel motherboard. What I said, and others have said, is that Celerons are crap and that he should get either a P3 or P4 if he wants to keep his motherboard or purchase a new motherboard and an AMD processor. And, as whisky has posted above, he know that AMDs are not compatible with Pentium motherboards. So, it seems to me that YOU are the one with the trouble understanding the topic, not us.

May 22, 2003 11:26:21 PM

ur right daniel i know i cant use it with an intel mainboard.. well i wish i bough a amd mainboard at the first place but its too late now .. so i'll stick to intel cpu's for now and get a new P4 but not a celeron at least that will give me less headache .. instead of taking out everthing inside the computer i'll just change the cpu and it will be over.. anyhow .. i'll tell everyone i see not to buy a celeron from now on ... :) ))
May 23, 2003 12:25:34 AM

Whiskey,

Sounds good man! And jus think... it only took us 2 pages of posts to figure that out... lol. Good luck.

May 23, 2003 12:53:24 AM

ooo nothing like a good old fashioned flame-a-thon!
*holds out marshmellow laden stick*

mmmmm toasty :) 

Intel has wisely differentiated their product lines... directly or indirectly.

You have the budget line. The cellerons. For all those AOL mum's and dad's out there who dont do anything beyond word, excel, webbrowsing and the odd song.
Alot of cellerons also find their way into OEM machines... as lots of OEM's are sold to mums and dads :) 
Also to save costs such CPU are invaribly mated with integrated chipsets running slow DDR or SDRAM.

Then you have the REAL cpu line. With some decent performance. And a greater cost.

<b>My PC is so powerful it developed AI and enslaved me in a make believe virtual world... called Freelancer</b> :lol: 
<A HREF="http://www.picturetrail.com/master_poobaa" target="_new">PooBaa's Pics!</A>
May 23, 2003 12:54:36 AM

hey daniel btw do u have doom III ? alpha ??? tried it on ur system yet ??? it made me hate my system :) ))
May 23, 2003 2:49:33 AM

Indeed, Doom III may not like Celeron P4s at all.

--
May 23, 2003 3:03:41 AM

Hey whiskey,

No, I have not tried Doom III on my system. I just finished builing mine, so I am in the middle of a one week "stability" testing period. If by Sunday my computer is still running smooth, I am going to install a few games and applications. I may try Doom III as I hear it is pretty wicked, but I have never been a huge Doom fan. In fact, I only really play two games: MOHAA and Counter-Strike.

May 23, 2003 3:11:41 AM

Wait, wait till the real Doom III is out. It'll eat you alive.......literally! :smile:

--
May 23, 2003 3:38:59 AM

ya i hope you don't do that! thats crazy ... buy a new motherboard and amd cpu. cheaper to just get a new cpu.

anyway ... at newegg you can get a what was it .. a 2.4ghz 533mhz fsb for 161 i think it was. check it out!

www.newegg.com

May 23, 2003 6:59:22 AM

i'll change my celeron 1.7 asap... and get a p4
a b à CPUs
May 23, 2003 7:09:24 AM

Actually no, VIA/Cyrix CPUs are the worst, Sandra rates the C3 1000 as slower than a K6-III 450.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
May 23, 2003 7:12:56 AM

god... is that real ??? what u said about cyrix cpu's ????
well i sort of like to have a weird system like that like a cyrix cpu+voodoo 6 128mb (which was not produced but once saw on a magazine it was coming with an external power adapter.... ) + sd-ram like 512 mb 100mhz :) ))) that would be a weird experiance for everyone ... :) )
May 23, 2003 8:25:31 AM

time for your medication again skater?
a b à CPUs
May 23, 2003 8:27:16 AM

Yes, download Sandra and see for yourself! Not too surprizing, I heard the Cyrix III core technology is based (very loosely) on the earlier MIII core!

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
May 23, 2003 8:44:59 AM

Quote:
Celerons and Durons are the Geo Metros of cpu's

Duron (morgon core) 1gig with DDR is just as fast if not faster than a p3 1gig

sorry but its a known fact

-------

<A HREF="http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001355.html" target="_new">*I hate thug gangstas*</A>
May 23, 2003 8:49:23 AM

Incase you were wondering THG did a full shootout of CPUs a while back, for general performance it looks like the 1.8 Northwood P4 (slowest made) rated about 25% more beefy than the Willamette 1.7 Celeron (with both tested on DDR266).

-* <font color=red> !! S O L D !! </font color=red> *-
To the gentleman in the pink Tutu
May 23, 2003 9:55:49 AM

Skater (can't be arsed to use proper spelling, sorry), The fact is that he is currently using DDR with his celeron. This means that if he were to move to AMD he would only have to buy a new processor and motherbaord, which would NOT cost him $360! Nforce2 Motherboards can be bought for less than $80 now and as said previously you can buy a 1700+ for $41. 41+80=$121 which is less than the proposed upgrade to P4 2.4Ghz. He could then very easily overclock this processor to the level of that P4 (around 2.1Ghz) and then sell off his celeron and intel mobo for a nice profit.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>
May 23, 2003 10:44:31 AM

so now i need an idiot who would buy my celeron 1.7 :) ) .. and my mainboard...
May 23, 2003 11:24:58 AM

The 1.8A was not the slowest Northwood around.

--
May 23, 2003 11:26:00 AM

Geez, and that is without music and anything.

I can just imagine how it plays when the whole atmosphere is set.

--
May 23, 2003 12:31:28 PM

everone should love their PC's ... :D  and their cpu's ... btw what is the cpu with the most overclocking ability ???
May 23, 2003 3:33:35 PM

Most OC ability, %-wise, I <i>think</i> is currently an XP1700+ (t-bred B). Stock speed 1466Mhz. Easy air-cooled OC=2200Mhz.. 733Mhz OC, or 50%, without actually trying very hard. Some people manage as much as 2400Mhz.

I'm not sure there's been a chip that could Oc like this since the P4 1.6Ghz (Northwood 'A' was it?... can't remember) that would do a 50% OC easily too.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong... :wink:

---
:smile: :tongue: :smile:
May 23, 2003 7:58:08 PM

Well this is amd/intel so a 50% increase on amd doesnt equal a 50% diff. on intel
May 23, 2003 9:09:15 PM

my old celeron 433 was an amazing cpu... i was used it at 650mhz 100mhz fsb for so long with no problems at all.. and my PIII 650 was amazin too... it was a coppermine at 100mhz fsb maybe thats what made it so overclockable.. at 864mhz it very rarely crashed .. but at 800 mhz it was so so so stable.. i dont feel the same was about Ghz cpu's ... seems like they would crash more than our old cpu's.
May 24, 2003 12:36:41 AM

well thats up to you.

I hope you read you're motherboard manual first and make sure that what you get will work with your motherboard. Another thing you should do is update your BIOS to the latest version before popping in the new cpu if infact the motherboard supports it.

i'd hate for you to buy something and come to find out it doesn't fit or won't work for some reason.

you could if you want just tell us what motherboard you have and i or one of us could tell ya right away.

May 24, 2003 12:39:55 AM

lol i don't even register as VIA/Cyrix as a contendor as being a CPU manufactorer. I like to think VIA as a joke. So, i didn't include via for a reason. Just AMD and Intel. There are TONS of other CPU manufactorers out there too other then them. I'd be here forever listing them all.

May 24, 2003 12:55:01 AM

ya and a 2.4ghz is slower than the 1700+? what the fu are you smoking?

WAKE UP!!! he doesn't want to buy a new motherboard and all that [-peep-]. He doesn't want to lsiten to YOU! He wants what HE wants NOT WHAT YOU TELL HIM TO GET!!!!!

Like some of you people don't get it do you? NOT EVERYONE IS OVERCLOCKING AND NOT EVERYONE IS A AMD EXTRMIST. NOT EVERYONE BOWS DOWN TO INTEL OR AMD. NOT EVERYONE UPGRADES EVERY 6 MONTHS LIKE YOU PEOPLE DO BECAUSE YOU GOT NOTHING ELSE BETTER TO DO!

HE WILL MAKE UP HIS OWN MIND ON WHAT HE WANTS TO DO. IF HE WANTS TO FORK UP MONEY FOR AN EQUIVALENT 2400+ PROCESSOR AND A NEW MOTHERBOARD THATS UP TO HIM. BUT I GOT NEWS TO YOU, HE JUST TOLD ME HE IS GOING TO GET A P4 RATHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT. THATS HIS CHOICE AND YOU CANNOT MAKE HIM BUY WHAT YOU WANT!!!!!

oh and by the way;

athlon XP 2400+ $90.00 & ASUS A7N8X $115.99 + time to put this crap together = 205.99 + time he can't replace. Or spend 161 dollars spend a little time to pop in the chip and your done.

Now which is the logical choice?

You're irrational LOVE for AMD is really really gay. You need to get out more.

and yes i had fun ranting.

May 24, 2003 4:57:49 AM

did u check the benchmarks of celeron 2ghz ??? god celeron is a loooossseeerrrrrrr.....
May 24, 2003 5:30:37 AM

better buy a cyrix then a celeron :p  .... (not that bad though)...
May 24, 2003 6:55:57 AM

Geez what bug crawled up your ass? You need to calm down. Just because someone managed to show a cheaper way to not only get an AMD cpu but also a motherboard with it AND do it cheaper than a single P4 CPU is no reason to have a 3 year old like tantrum. It is your irrational LOVE for Intel that is really really gay. You are the one who need`s to get out more.
AREA_51

'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'
May 24, 2003 9:58:43 AM

well isnt amd even xp processors older than p4s??
!