Sign in with
Your question

32" Full HD TV or 27" Full HD Monitor

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
March 17, 2010 6:10:16 PM

Hi,

I'm new to Tom's Hardware so hello to all!

I have a question:

I want to upgrade the monitor on my main gaming PC to something *much* bigger (its currently a 21" wide screen). I want to connect two things to the new screen:

1 - My gaming PC which runs games at a variety of resolutions &
2 - My Sony PS3 which runs at "Full HD" (1920x1080)

I was thinking about using a 32" LCD TV as the screen for both (most likely this LG TV http://tinyurl.com/yztdxug) but wasn't sure if -

-this would be bad for my eyes the LG one mentioned above supports the correct resolution and has 8ms response time, but if it was this simple surely everyone would be using TVs for monitors?
- If it would support other resolutions other than 1920x1080 - not all games have options to run at this level and really new games would require a shed-load of GPU power to run decent fps at this res.

If using a TV is a bad idea, I'll probably use this 27" Iiyama monitor instead http://tinyurl.com/yjddnbr

Any advice on this upgrade would be gratefully received!

Thanks in advance.

More about : full full monitor

a b C Monitor
March 18, 2010 2:33:09 AM

I would go for the LG TV.

The TV is a PVA panel while the monitor is a TN panel. PVA panels have much better color reproduction, better blacks, and better color gradients.

The monitor have better response time though. The TV doesn't advertise response time probably because it isn't that good. Average can be 12ms-6ms but shouldn't be a problem. Response time is overrated anyway.

Another big thing is HDMI. Since tte PS3 can only output 1080P via HDMI, that is a very nice feature to have.
March 19, 2010 8:44:02 PM

The LCD Monitor will work much better for online games and games in general than the TV. I wouldnt use that TV for competetive online games.

The TV will look really nice, but if you play close to the game, as most FPS and RTS require, the LCD Monitor will look almost as good. Rather than sitting a few more feet from a 32 inch TV. Xbit labs has a great article on response time and pc games that has already been quoted a couple times in these forums.

Related resources
March 24, 2010 4:42:48 PM

go with samsung series 5" 32 inch 1080p

i too use the same
March 30, 2010 5:44:24 AM

Im very happy with my 27" Samsung 2770H, not to be confused with the 2770HD
Doesn't have speakers though
April 21, 2010 8:26:49 PM

I use my 46 inch sony for my PC and ive never had response time problems but i do use the tv in its gaming mode which is at least under 8 cuz its rated at 8ms in normal mode. Gaming mode prolly only puts it at 5 ms but like i said I've never had a problem.
!