damo

Distinguished
May 29, 2004

I find that sometimes after booting, especially a cold boot, that not all of
my tray icons display in XP Pro. The problem fixes after logging off and
then back on. I have looked in msconfig under the startup tab and it seems
to be the apps with a registry address that fail to start...any ideas at all
to do with this annoying and stupid problem would be greatly appreciated by
me.

Damo

P.S.
Yes guys I know I haven't been on for a while but I've been busy!

kelly

Very old and common issue. Which programs are they? In the meantime:

This happens for most Auto-Logon users.

Methods/workarounds: Log off and Log back on, password protect your account
or disable SSDP and uPNP Services.

Disable SSDP and uPNP Services (Line 156)

More info here:

Troubleshooting the Notification Area
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_n.htm#na

Troubleshooting the Volume Control Icon
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_v.htm#volume

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP

"Damo" <random@fake.com> wrote in message
>I find that sometimes after booting, especially a cold boot, that not all
>of my tray icons display in XP Pro. The problem fixes after logging off
>and then back on. I have looked in msconfig under the startup tab and it
>seems to be the apps with a registry address that fail to start...any ideas
>at all to do with this annoying and stupid problem would be greatly
>appreciated by me.
>
> Damo
>
> P.S.
> Yes guys I know I haven't been on for a while but I've been busy!

why, oh why!!! hasnt microsoft fixed this bug? its very annoying and old as
hell!!

are they lazy or ignorant or what?

"Kelly" wrote:

> Very old and common issue. Which programs are they? In the meantime:
>
> This happens for most Auto-Logon users.
>
> Methods/workarounds: Log off and Log back on, password protect your account
> or disable SSDP and uPNP Services.
>
> Disable SSDP and uPNP Services (Line 156)
>
> More info here:
>
> Troubleshooting the Notification Area
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_n.htm#na
>
> Troubleshooting the Volume Control Icon
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_v.htm#volume
>
> Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "Damo" <random@fake.com> wrote in message
> >I find that sometimes after booting, especially a cold boot, that not all
> >of my tray icons display in XP Pro. The problem fixes after logging off
> >and then back on. I have looked in msconfig under the startup tab and it
> >seems to be the apps with a registry address that fail to start...any ideas
> >at all to do with this annoying and stupid problem would be greatly
> >appreciated by me.
> >
> > Damo
> >
> > P.S.
> > Yes guys I know I haven't been on for a while but I've been busy!

The "icons" are missing because explorer restarted due to a problem and
the applications that put the "icons" there in the first place didn't
restore them. Now that you know why they go missing, you can go around
and ask all the "application writers" why they don't restore their "icons"!

dammskog wrote:

> why, oh why!!! hasnt microsoft fixed this bug? its very annoying and old as
> hell!!
>
> are they lazy or ignorant or what?
>
> "Kelly" wrote:
>

>>Very old and common issue. Which programs are they? In the meantime:
>>
>>This happens for most Auto-Logon users.
>>
>>Methods/workarounds: Log off and Log back on, password protect your account
>>or disable SSDP and uPNP Services.
>>
>>Disable SSDP and uPNP Services (Line 156)
>>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
>>
>>More info here:
>>
>>Troubleshooting the Notification Area
>>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_n.htm#na
>>
>>Troubleshooting the Volume Control Icon
>>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_v.htm#volume
>>
>>Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
>>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
>>
>>--
>>
>>All the Best,
>>Kelly (MS-MVP)
>>
>>Troubleshooting Windows XP
>>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>>

>>"Damo" <random@fake.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I find that sometimes after booting, especially a cold boot, that not all
>>>of my tray icons display in XP Pro. The problem fixes after logging off
>>>and then back on. I have looked in msconfig under the startup tab and it
>>>seems to be the apps with a registry address that fail to start...any ideas
>>>at all to do with this annoying and stupid problem would be greatly
>>>appreciated by me.
>>>
>>>Damo
>>>
>>>P.S.
>>>Yes guys I know I haven't been on for a while but I've been busy!

but this happens every time I start windows,
are you saying that explorer restarts due to problems every time I start my
computer?
that is an even bigger bug!!!

"Bob I" wrote:

> The "icons" are missing because explorer restarted due to a problem and
> the applications that put the "icons" there in the first place didn't
> restore them. Now that you know why they go missing, you can go around
> and ask all the "application writers" why they don't restore their "icons"!
>
> dammskog wrote:
>
> > why, oh why!!! hasnt microsoft fixed this bug? its very annoying and old as
> > hell!!
> >
> > are they lazy or ignorant or what?
> >
> > "Kelly" wrote:
> >

> >>Very old and common issue. Which programs are they? In the meantime:
> >>
> >>This happens for most Auto-Logon users.
> >>
> >>Methods/workarounds: Log off and Log back on, password protect your account
> >>or disable SSDP and uPNP Services.
> >>
> >>Disable SSDP and uPNP Services (Line 156)
> >>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
> >>
> >>More info here:
> >>
> >>Troubleshooting the Notification Area
> >>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_n.htm#na
> >>
> >>Troubleshooting the Volume Control Icon
> >>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_v.htm#volume
> >>
> >>Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
> >>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
> >>
> >>--
> >>
> >>All the Best,
> >>Kelly (MS-MVP)
> >>
> >>Troubleshooting Windows XP
> >>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
> >>

> >>"Damo" <random@fake.com> wrote in message

What you describe doesn't even sound like the issue that is being
discussed. They are talking about the notification area. What you
describe sounds like a corrupted profile and changes are not being
saved. Create another account/profile and use that instead, I suspect
you will no longer have that problem. If not, start a NEW thread and
describe the problem you are having and what you are changing.

TRENDING THREADS