Need advice on laptop crack

Now that I'm just a week past the end of my 3 year warranty, one side of
the laptop screen plastic (the part that holds the screen to the base)
is cracking.
First of all, does that mean my whole system will be down soon?
Any way I can fix this myself or should I just leave it alone?
TIA
Inspiron 4100

It's the hinge on one side where the plastic is cracked and the
alignment of the screen is off---everything seems to work ok though

Call Dell and arrange a warranty repair. The parts that have cracked
cannot be repaired - they must be replaced.

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> top-posted:
>Call Dell and arrange a warranty repair. The parts that have cracked
>cannot be repaired - they must be replaced.

RTFNG, it's not a warranty repair.

I've discovered that Dell will not do paid repairs on out-of-warranty
problems. You can get the parts from Dell and fix it yourself if you
are good with tools, or find a third-party who will do it for you.

In another note you mention that the screen is out of alignment, can
you post a (pointer to a) picture?

That is a common problem, both hinges were cracking on my i5000 so I
replaced the plastic lid myself, it was very intricate work. I also
ordered a 2nd lid since it was likely to crack again, and sure enough
after only 6 months the one I replaced started cracking, too. On
another Inspiron I saw both hinges cracked completely apart - the
entire lcd/lid was just hanging by the cable - and it still worked ok,
just had to prop up the lid.

<yodasue@webtv.net> wrote in message
> Now that I'm just a week past the end of my 3 year warranty, one
> side of
> the laptop screen plastic (the part that holds the screen to the
> base)
> is cracking.
> First of all, does that mean my whole system will be down soon?
> Any way I can fix this myself or should I just leave it alone?
> TIA
> Inspiron 4100

A failed hinge or stress crack will be covered under warranty. A crack
due do a drop won't be covered other than under Complete Care.

Dell will do out of warranty repairs.

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
>A failed hinge or stress crack will be covered under warranty. A crack due
>do a drop won't be covered other than under Complete Care.
>
> Dell will do out of warranty repairs.

To the OP, I have no idea about these guys but if you can't get it covered
by Dell it may be an option:

http://www.parts-people.com/

Stew

<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
> >yodasue@webtv.net wrote:
>>> Now that I'm just a week past the end of my 3 year warranty, one side of
>>> the laptop screen plastic (the part that holds the screen to the base)
>>> is cracking.
>>> First of all, does that mean my whole system will be down soon?
>>> Any way I can fix this myself or should I just leave it alone?
>
> "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> top-posted:
>>Call Dell and arrange a warranty repair. The parts that have cracked
>>cannot be repaired - they must be replaced.
>
> RTFNG, it's not a warranty repair.
>
> I've discovered that Dell will not do paid repairs on out-of-warranty
> problems. You can get the parts from Dell and fix it yourself if you
> are good with tools, or find a third-party who will do it for you.
>
> In another note you mention that the screen is out of alignment, can
> you post a (pointer to a) picture?

If it is truly a week out of warranty, they may very well cover it. They
have some latitude.

Of course they WILL do out of warranty repairs. I toured their repair
center in Austin once. Amazing facility.

Tom

In article <21933-422D820C-352@storefull-3255.bay.webtv.net>,
yodasue@webtv.net says...
> It's the hinge on one side where the plastic is cracked and the
> alignment of the screen is off---everything seems to work ok though

If your system is under warranty, you can call Support and have them
ship out the parts at no cost. They probably will NOT send a tech out
to do the repair if that is the only thing wrong.

If your system is out of warranty, you can order the parts from Spare
Parts and do the repair yourself.

To lurkers... If you have a "business" warranty (I don't know about the
consumer side) and you have to have a major component replaced by a
technician, Dell Support is "required" to ask you about the condition of
your plastics and send out those parts for the tech to replace while
he/she is doing the major repair. Some techs forget or are too lazy,
but if you find yourself in need of a laptop repair under warranty and
Dell is sending a tech, remind them about any "plastics" problems you
may have including missing screws, missing rubber feet, bad hinges &
latches, etc...

If your warranty is "about" to expire and you are not going to renew it,
call in and have them send you any plastics you may need to make your
laptop look like new.

Thanks or all your responses!
I guess my main concern is that even if the hinge comes off, that I can
still have a fully functional system.
As long as that is viable, I'm not overly concerned about the hinge
cracking and/or not closing the laptop as I have not yet taken it from
my home.
I suppose I could try to order the part but then I'm still stuck because
this is probably not the kind of thing I would mess with myself.
Thanks again to you all.

In article <23183-422EBE5E-2@storefull-3252.bay.webtv.net>,
yodasue@webtv.net says...
> Thanks or all your responses!
> I guess my main concern is that even if the hinge comes off, that I can
> still have a fully functional system.
> As long as that is viable, I'm not overly concerned about the hinge
> cracking and/or not closing the laptop as I have not yet taken it from
> my home.
> I suppose I could try to order the part but then I'm still stuck because
> this is probably not the kind of thing I would mess with myself.
> Thanks again to you all.

Prior to September/October of last year, all Dell computers were sold
with lifetime tech support. You can get a tech to help you even after
your warranty expires, you just can't get free parts.

That tech support includes having a tech walk you through working on
your laptop. For example, I bought an old Latitude CPx on eBay a few
years ago with a bad LCD. I bought a replacement LCD and called Dell to
have a tech walk me through removing the old one and putting in the new
one.

TRENDING THREADS