Howto take apart viewsonic vp2030b

enzo_61

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
i trashpicked a vp2030b today, and would like to know howto properly disassemble it so i can replace the power supply in it. :D

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
You are asking because you have heard horror stories of people being thrown across the room from a shock from a monitor, right? Fortunately, lcds operate at much lower voltages than old crts, and so the risk is reduced. However, it is still a good idea to short out all large capacitors (the round cans) with the tip of an insulated screwdriver. As far as actual disassembly, take out screws and when you think you've got them all out pry gently to see if you really do. Never force something unless you have to; keep poking until you find the fastener you missed. Also, make sure you keep all of the screws and remember where they go. As you probably guessed, all this advice is from much experience, and I have stories to back it up (except for spectacular electrocution, and I know people who had that happen). If you need help identifying particular components, post and I'll try to help.

G

Usually you have to remove the monitor stand first, then as above. I don't think you'll have to replace the higher voltage capacitor

Check the medium sized capacitors for bulging -- though may have failed without apparently bulging or leaking.

Replacement is cheap and straightforward if you can solder -- so long as you replace with same value and similar max voltage -- and observe polarity.

A de-solder pump is useful.

G

Hi elel,

Apologies for editing your LCD breakdown post so extensively to adapt it for my use!

I'm a volunteer working with Free Geek in MN and we've collected ~60-80 CRT's during our efforts to keep PC's from being thrown into landfills by reusing as much as possible. It's proving to be pretty difficult to give away these CRTs.

Recycling responsibly is costing us $0.35/lb through companies signed up for eSteward or similar programs. Recycling tubes alone will cost $0.20/lb and the offset by the copper yoke might drop the total cost/CRT to $5-$10 vs the current $15-$20.

I'm considering a one-time project to breakdown the oldest CRTs to reduce the recycle costs. Since it'll be a one-time deal only, we can take all prudent safety precautions to discharge all cap's, coils, etc. One thought was to immerse the whole thing in a grounded salt-water tank for a few minutes!

Do you have any tips, suggestions, or references to manage this prudently? Don't worry about any liability, we'll take the responsibility for checking out the safety before proceeding with this project.

Many thanks to one and all for constructive help!
- BlackIceo1

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
No problem about the editing. I've actually only been inside of a crt a couple of times myself, so I'm not familiar with the general parts layout or how many capacitors you would have to discharge. Coils and other parts like that have no way to store a charge, so unless you think that it might be a capacitor you don't have to bother shorting it. I'll ask at my work (where there are more experienced people than myself - my hands on experience comes mostly from tearing stuff apart as a kid, though I'm using that to work my way up in an electronics shop) what they think of the salt water bath. I think it's cool, but I'll relay the thoughts of more experienced hands. Good work :)