I recently having constant BSOD. How can I tell which file is causing
the crash?

Will be glad to . It is the file called

"Please post the exact error that the BSOD is showing per verbatim."

Hope this will help

--
Peter

"l e o" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message news:SiyMe.7970$RS.226@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>I recently having constant BSOD. How can I tell which file is causing
> the crash?

Tim

Yep. That file that Peter is talking about is the root of all your problems.
I believe its stored in C:\vague.
Good luck!
--
To err is human, but to really foul things up, you need a computer.

Peter Foldes Wrote:
> Will be glad to . It is the file called
>
> "Please post the exact error that the BSOD is showing per verbatim."
>
> Hope this will help
>
> --=20
> Peter

> "l e o" someone@somewhere.net wrote in message =
> I recently having constant BSOD. How can I tell which file is
> causing=20
> the crash?-

Funniest thing I read so far today. I actually thought you had a fix
for it when I read the first line.

--
Evolution54

l e o wrote:
> I recently having constant BSOD. How can I tell which file is causing
> the crash?

To get started troubleshooting the cause of your problems, we'll
need to learn what specific errors are occurring and being recorded.

To get the error message from the blue screen (a.k.a. the BSOD --
Blue Screen of Death), you'll need to turn off WinXP's automatic
reboot "feature:" Right-click My Computer > Properties > Advanced >
Startup and Recovery > Uncheck "Automatically restart." The next time
your PC crashes, you'll be left with a blue screen full of memory
addresses and other seeming gibberish. The top 2 or 3 lines of this
screen will contain information that can help solve your problem.
Carefully write down these lines and post the exact text back here.
Hopefully, one of us will be able to provide some insight.

Additionally, you should check your Event Logs to see if they can
shed any light on the matter, To do so, Right-click My Computer >
Manage > Event Viewer > System and Application. Record the specifics
of any red-flagged error messages and post the exact text back here.
Again, hopefully, one of us will be able to provide some insight.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Peter Foldes wrote:
> Will be glad to . It is the file called
>
> "Please post the exact error that the BSOD is showing per verbatim."
>
> Hope this will help

The problem is it disappeared quickly and the pc rebooted. Is it logged
somewhere?

Malke

l e o wrote:

> Peter Foldes wrote:
>> Will be glad to . It is the file called
>>
>> "Please post the exact error that the BSOD is showing per verbatim."
>>
>> Hope this will help
>

> The problem is it disappeared quickly and the pc rebooted. Is it
> logged somewhere?

Hi, Leo. Unfortunately, you haven't really given us enough information
to get focused troubleshooting. Here are some things for you to test
and check out:

1. Look in Event Viewer for clues as to what is failing.
Start>Run>eventvwr.msc [enter]

2. Ask yourself what changed between the time things worked and the time
they didn't. Any new hardware/software added? If so, uninstall it and
see if that makes a difference. As with all troubleshooting, only make
one change at a time and test after each change.

3. Is the computer blue-screening randomly? If it is, the problem may be
physical hardware failures. Things to check are overheating, power
supply, RAM, and hard drive.

If all of this seems like too much - and there is no shame in admitting
this - then take the computer to a professional computer repair shop
(not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA).

If you'd like more help, then come back after you've done the
troubleshooting steps above. Make sure to include information about
your computer and its hardware specs. The reason for that is we might
be looking at different causes in initial triage for an old PIII that
was upgraded vs. a brand-new machine.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

Bruce Chambers wrote:
> l e o wrote:
>
>> I recently having constant BSOD. How can I tell which file is causing
>> the crash?
>

> To get started troubleshooting the cause of your problems, we'll
> need to learn what specific errors are occurring and being recorded.
>
> To get the error message from the blue screen (a.k.a. the BSOD --
> Blue Screen of Death), you'll need to turn off WinXP's automatic
> reboot "feature:" Right-click My Computer > Properties > Advanced >
> Startup and Recovery > Uncheck "Automatically restart." The next time
> your PC crashes, you'll be left with a blue screen full of memory
> addresses and other seeming gibberish. The top 2 or 3 lines of this
> screen will contain information that can help solve your problem.
> Carefully write down these lines and post the exact text back here.
> Hopefully, one of us will be able to provide some insight.
>
> Additionally, you should check your Event Logs to see if they can
> shed any light on the matter, To do so, Right-click My Computer >
> Manage > Event Viewer > System and Application. Record the specifics
> of any red-flagged error messages and post the exact text back here.
> Again, hopefully, one of us will be able to provide some insight.

Good advice. The crash happened in HTTP.SYS. I also notice that
sometimes the downloaded files are corrupted and remote assistance got
interrupted. I am suspecting the nForce4's firewall that is causing all
these mishaps. I have turned it off; so far, after 12hrs, there are no
strange file corruption or BSOD.

Well there you go. Let us know how it goes

--
Peter

Peter Foldes wrote:
> Well there you go. Let us know how it goes

It's rock solid after removing nforce firewall manager.

Glad to hear it Leo. Good luck

--
Peter