BSOD

I recently having constant BSOD. How can I tell which file is causing
the crash?
10 answers Last reply
More about bsod

    Will be glad to . It is the file called

    "Please post the exact error that the BSOD is showing per verbatim."

    Hope this will help

    --
    Peter

    "l e o" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message news:SiyMe.7970$RS.226@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
    >I recently having constant BSOD. How can I tell which file is causing
    > the crash?

    Yep. That file that Peter is talking about is the root of all your problems.
    I believe its stored in C:\vague.
    Good luck!
    --
    To err is human, but to really foul things up, you need a computer.

    Peter Foldes Wrote:
    > Will be glad to . It is the file called
    >
    > "Please post the exact error that the BSOD is showing per verbatim."
    >
    > Hope this will help
    >
    > --=20
    > Peter

    > "l e o" someone@somewhere.net wrote in message =
    > I recently having constant BSOD. How can I tell which file is
    > causing=20
    > the crash?-

    Funniest thing I read so far today. I actually thought you had a fix
    for it when I read the first line.

    --
    Evolution54

    l e o wrote:
    > I recently having constant BSOD. How can I tell which file is causing
    > the crash?

    To get started troubleshooting the cause of your problems, we'll
    need to learn what specific errors are occurring and being recorded.

    To get the error message from the blue screen (a.k.a. the BSOD --
    Blue Screen of Death), you'll need to turn off WinXP's automatic
    reboot "feature:" Right-click My Computer > Properties > Advanced >
    Startup and Recovery > Uncheck "Automatically restart." The next time
    your PC crashes, you'll be left with a blue screen full of memory
    addresses and other seeming gibberish. The top 2 or 3 lines of this
    screen will contain information that can help solve your problem.
    Carefully write down these lines and post the exact text back here.
    Hopefully, one of us will be able to provide some insight.

    Additionally, you should check your Event Logs to see if they can
    shed any light on the matter, To do so, Right-click My Computer >
    Manage > Event Viewer > System and Application. Record the specifics
    of any red-flagged error messages and post the exact text back here.
    Again, hopefully, one of us will be able to provide some insight.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Peter Foldes wrote:
    > Will be glad to . It is the file called
    >
    > "Please post the exact error that the BSOD is showing per verbatim."
    >
    > Hope this will help

    The problem is it disappeared quickly and the pc rebooted. Is it logged
    somewhere?

    l e o wrote:

    > Peter Foldes wrote:
    >> Will be glad to . It is the file called
    >>
    >> "Please post the exact error that the BSOD is showing per verbatim."
    >>
    >> Hope this will help
    >

    > The problem is it disappeared quickly and the pc rebooted. Is it
    > logged somewhere?

    Hi, Leo. Unfortunately, you haven't really given us enough information
    to get focused troubleshooting. Here are some things for you to test
    and check out:

    1. Look in Event Viewer for clues as to what is failing.
    Start>Run>eventvwr.msc [enter]

    2. Ask yourself what changed between the time things worked and the time
    they didn't. Any new hardware/software added? If so, uninstall it and
    see if that makes a difference. As with all troubleshooting, only make
    one change at a time and test after each change.

    3. Is the computer blue-screening randomly? If it is, the problem may be
    physical hardware failures. Things to check are overheating, power
    supply, RAM, and hard drive.

    If all of this seems like too much - and there is no shame in admitting
    this - then take the computer to a professional computer repair shop
    (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA).

    If you'd like more help, then come back after you've done the
    troubleshooting steps above. Make sure to include information about
    your computer and its hardware specs. The reason for that is we might
    be looking at different causes in initial triage for an old PIII that
    was upgraded vs. a brand-new machine.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Bruce Chambers wrote:
    > l e o wrote:
    >
    >> I recently having constant BSOD. How can I tell which file is causing
    >> the crash?
    >

    > To get started troubleshooting the cause of your problems, we'll
    > need to learn what specific errors are occurring and being recorded.
    >
    > To get the error message from the blue screen (a.k.a. the BSOD --
    > Blue Screen of Death), you'll need to turn off WinXP's automatic
    > reboot "feature:" Right-click My Computer > Properties > Advanced >
    > Startup and Recovery > Uncheck "Automatically restart." The next time
    > your PC crashes, you'll be left with a blue screen full of memory
    > addresses and other seeming gibberish. The top 2 or 3 lines of this
    > screen will contain information that can help solve your problem.
    > Carefully write down these lines and post the exact text back here.
    > Hopefully, one of us will be able to provide some insight.
    >
    > Additionally, you should check your Event Logs to see if they can
    > shed any light on the matter, To do so, Right-click My Computer >
    > Manage > Event Viewer > System and Application. Record the specifics
    > of any red-flagged error messages and post the exact text back here.
    > Again, hopefully, one of us will be able to provide some insight.

    Good advice. The crash happened in HTTP.SYS. I also notice that
    sometimes the downloaded files are corrupted and remote assistance got
    interrupted. I am suspecting the nForce4's firewall that is causing all
    these mishaps. I have turned it off; so far, after 12hrs, there are no
    strange file corruption or BSOD.

    Well there you go. Let us know how it goes

    --
    Peter

    Peter Foldes wrote:
    > Well there you go. Let us know how it goes

    It's rock solid after removing nforce firewall manager.

    Glad to hear it Leo. Good luck

    --
    Peter

    "l e o" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message news:gbGNe.7830$Wi6.2408@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
    > Peter Foldes wrote:
    >> Well there you go. Let us know how it goes
    >

    > It's rock solid after removing nforce firewall manager.

Blue Screen Crash Microsoft Windows XP