Bally tech question.

Last response: in Video Games
July 3, 2005 3:37:15 PM

Working on a bally system from 1979 and its doing something really weird.
When you first turn the game on all displays are fine and doing what there
supposed to be doing. But when you start a game player one displays the
credits and ball in play just like the normal credit/ball in play display
does. So now i have two displays showing me the number of credits left on
the game and the ball in play. All other displays are fine. When you pull
the plunger and start scoring points everything on the game is working fine,
but that player one display is still showing the wrong thing. I've never
seen anything like this. Any ideas on where to start looking for the
problem ? I'm thinking its a MPU issue. ??

Thanks,

--
John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, MI.

Still looking for:
E.M. Charlie Angels pinball machine,$100 finders fee.....
E.M. Mata Hari Backglass.....FOUND!!!

More about : bally tech question

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 3:37:16 PM

John...What does it do in display test? It could be an MPU issue, but maybe
just a bad display. If it was me, I would switch player one display with
player four. See if the problem moves. Also wiggle the connectors on the
left side of the MPU. It's very common to have bad connectors on these
games. Sometimes the header pin solder joints need to be reflowed, too. Not
just on the MPU, but also on the display boards. Good luck...John

--
FunHouse...Cyclone...Eight Ball...Solar Ride...Silverball Mania...Medieval
Madness :-)
"John P. Dayhuff" <pinhead67@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Working on a bally system from 1979 and its doing something really weird.
> When you first turn the game on all displays are fine and doing what there
> supposed to be doing. But when you start a game player one displays the
> credits and ball in play just like the normal credit/ball in play display
> does. So now i have two displays showing me the number of credits left on
> the game and the ball in play. All other displays are fine. When you
> pull
> the plunger and start scoring points everything on the game is working
> fine,
> but that player one display is still showing the wrong thing. I've never
> seen anything like this. Any ideas on where to start looking for the
> problem ? I'm thinking its a MPU issue. ??
>
> Thanks,
>

> --
> John P. Dayhuff
> Battle Creek, MI.
> (269) 979-3836
>
> Still looking for:
> E.M. Charlie Angels pinball machine,$100 finders fee.....
> E.M. Mata Hari Backglass.....FOUND!!!

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 3:37:16 PM

John-

I had a similar problem with EK. Turns out it was related to the start
button! I put a piece of electrical tape between the last leaf and the
metal support, and poof, the problem went away and has never come back.

Totally weird and seemingly unrelated, but google and clay's guide help
me figure that out. Worth a try and takes 5 seconds.

Good luck!

Jeff
July 3, 2005 5:16:59 PM

My pleasure :-)

Enjoy!!

Jeff
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 5:48:26 PM

Shorting a strobe to ground will put the credit match info in the wrong
display. This used to happen a lot when route guys would pinch the
wires while putting a backbox up during a machine location rotation.

Mario
Pinthetic
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 6:01:07 PM

In the displays test it works fine, showing all numbers like all the other
displays. I switched the display with another known working one and got the
same problem. I also have played with the connectors on the Mpu and Driver
boards but never saw any changes at all. The solder joints on the displays
i had redone a week ago and it was working fine.

Here's something that i discovered too...When in a solnoid test the player
one display does alot of flickering each time a solnoid is fired which leads
me to believe that its just a connecotor issue, but i cant make it do it by
wiggleing any connectors or boards....

Any other suggestions before i throw this game in the woods....? Its been a
long uphill battle with just about everything on this game, it's like one
step forward and two steps back. I've fixed alot of stuff that was bad on
this game and it just keeps coming up with something new everytime i turn
around.

Thanks,

--

"Sir Tiltsalot" <detweiler02@msn.com> wrote in message
> John...What does it do in display test? It could be an MPU issue, but
maybe
> just a bad display. If it was me, I would switch player one display with
> player four. See if the problem moves. Also wiggle the connectors on the
> left side of the MPU. It's very common to have bad connectors on these
> games. Sometimes the header pin solder joints need to be reflowed, too.
Not
> just on the MPU, but also on the display boards. Good luck...John
>
> --
> FunHouse...Cyclone...Eight Ball...Solar Ride...Silverball Mania...Medieval
> Madness :-)
> "John P. Dayhuff" <pinhead67@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > Working on a bally system from 1979 and its doing something really
weird.
> > When you first turn the game on all displays are fine and doing what
there
> > supposed to be doing. But when you start a game player one displays the
> > credits and ball in play just like the normal credit/ball in play
display
> > does. So now i have two displays showing me the number of credits left
on
> > the game and the ball in play. All other displays are fine. When you
> > pull
> > the plunger and start scoring points everything on the game is working
> > fine,
> > but that player one display is still showing the wrong thing. I've
never
> > seen anything like this. Any ideas on where to start looking for the
> > problem ? I'm thinking its a MPU issue. ??
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> > --
> > John P. Dayhuff
> > Battle Creek, MI.
> > (269) 979-3836
> >
> > Still looking for:
> > E.M. Charlie Angels pinball machine,$100 finders fee.....
> > E.M. Mata Hari Backglass.....FOUND!!!

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 7:41:33 PM

Glad you got it going. That was a strange problem for sure. Hope I didn't
lead you in the wrong direction. Those old Ballys always have a million
issues. I have a Mr and Mrs Pac Man and another Eight Ball that I'm not
looking forward to working. I always put 30+ hours in these old games just
to get them working. Then it's time to clean and shop. Seems like it never
ends. It's always worth it in the end. And these old pins deserve the
effort. Good job! John :-)

--
news:D cSxe.15$Nh3.8@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com...
> [...]
> display
>> > does. So now i have two displays showing me the number of credits left
> on
>> > the game and the ball in play. All other displays are fine. When you
>> > pull
>> > the plunger and start scoring points everything on the game is working
>> > fine,
>> > but that player one display is still showing the wrong thing. I've
> never
>> > seen anything like this. Any ideas on where to start looking for the
>> > problem ? I'm thinking its a MPU issue. ??
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >

>> > --
>> > John P. Dayhuff
>> > Battle Creek, MI.
>> > (269) 979-3836
>> >
>> > Still looking for:
>> > E.M. Charlie Angels pinball machine,$100 finders fee.....

July 3, 2005 9:34:12 PM

YAAHOO......i found the problem. Turns out it goes back to the outhole
switch under the cover. I had adjusted it earlier because it was bent but
turns out it was bent so it did'nt touch the metal rail that the ball rest
on before it gets shot back out into the shooter lane. So when the
playfield was dropped down into the normal position it grounded out and
caused havic thruout the switch matrx and light matrix as well. So now i'm
gonna make sure it can never touch any other piece of metal again and move
onto the next problem. I'd like to thank Jeff Palmer who called me all the
way from florida trying to help me out even though he had the same problem
with a EK and i'm working on a Astro Black Sheep Squadron which does have
the same board system buy the way. His problem was on the coin door but its
the same principle and was grounding out. THANKS AGAIN JEFF!! You ROCK!!

And thanks to everyone else that responded.

--
John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, MI.
(269) 979-3836

Still looking for:
E.M. Charlie Angels pinball machine,$100 finders fee.....
E.M. Mata Hari Backglass.....FOUND!!!

"John P. Dayhuff" <pinhead67@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Working on a bally system from 1979 and its doing something really weird.
> When you first turn the game on all displays are fine and doing what there
> supposed to be doing. But when you start a game player one displays the
> credits and ball in play just like the normal credit/ball in play display
> does. So now i have two displays showing me the number of credits left on
> the game and the ball in play. All other displays are fine. When you
pull
> the plunger and start scoring points everything on the game is working
fine,
> but that player one display is still showing the wrong thing. I've never
> seen anything like this. Any ideas on where to start looking for the
> problem ? I'm thinking its a MPU issue. ??
>
> Thanks,
>

> --
> John P. Dayhuff
> Battle Creek, MI.
> (269) 979-3836
>
> Still looking for:
> E.M. Charlie Angels pinball machine,$100 finders fee.....
> E.M. Mata Hari Backglass.....FOUND!!!

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 12:45:00 AM

Sir Tiltsalot wrote:
> Glad you got it going. That was a strange problem for sure. Hope I didn't
> lead you in the wrong direction. Those old Ballys always have a million
> issues. I have a Mr and Mrs Pac Man and another Eight Ball that I'm not
> looking forward to working. I always put 30+ hours in these old games just
> to get them working. Then it's time to clean and shop. Seems like it never
> ends. It's always worth it in the end. And these old pins deserve the
> effort. Good job! John :-)

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be that the connector pins
on the display boards had cracked solders. I refloated all the solder
joints on the pins and the problem went away.

Ed
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 2:12:04 AM

It was a new one on me thats for sure, glad it turned out to be a easy
fix.....And of course it was something i screwed up but did'nt know it at
the time. :(

Thanks again,

--

<Pinthetic@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Shorting a strobe to ground will put the credit match info in the wrong
> display. This used to happen a lot when route guys would pinch the
> wires while putting a backbox up during a machine location rotation.
>
> Mario
> Pinthetic

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 5:11:28 AM

Yeah i did that soon after i got the game up and running as a normal
procedure that i do with all bally games, even though there was no problems
with them before that, chances are it would have shown up after the game
went back to the customer. The game had been running for almost a week when
the player one display showed up. Turned out to be that stupid switch i
adjusted the night before.

Thanks for all the help.

--

!