TCPA/Palladium discussion

Skipper007

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
Note: This first post may contain some inaccurate information, one of my later posts explains why.

We've thrown tons of money at Microsoft to keep pumping out crappy software, now look what we'll probably be getting in the near future as a "present".

www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html

As a big time support of amateur coders who don't get paid for their work (by the way, plenty of amateur software is for totally legal purposes), I don't like the idea of everything having to go through Microsoft. It's unlikely small developers will be able to get certification easily. It will also have no benefits I consider worthwhile, will probably have bloated code to support these "features", and will allow them to rip us off even more by giving them the choice not to authorize your PC to run competing products. Plus the censorship applications are staggering.

I think a boycott of any software that uses this is in order. Fortunately we won't have to deal with it for a while yet.

By the way, this is what the "Consumer Broadband and Digital Telvision Promotion Act" (deceptive name) thing that some people in the US government want to pass uses. Basically, the act would require all PCs sold in the US to support TCPA. As well, all software developers, including amateur and open source, would have to comply. Which brings up another question: how bad does the US want to cripple the IT industry?

I think I've said enough. Spread the word.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Skipper007 on 05/24/03 08:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Auburn9698

Champion
<A HREF="http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html" target="_new">Clicky</A>

<A HREF="http://www.phototalk.net/photos/showgallery.php?cat=3394&ppuser=663" target="_new">My phototalk gallery</A>
<font color=blue>War</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Eagle</font color=orange>

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Hm... now I´ve got it. I was looking forward to reading something on Palladium, but didn´t find the time to do so. But now I just did... And oh boy.

In my opinion, this Palladium iniciative has the potential to destroy what is one of the greatest strengths the internet actually has - the free flow of information. Besides, pirating <i>doesn´t</i> hurt Microsoft! As if they didn´t have enough money already to do whatever pleases them! This is an initiative that isn´t really about "opening up new possibilities". The Internet already offers all of them (please name me one thing that can´t be done right now and will be enabled by Palladium that doesn´t involve money!), it´s about closing unwanted possibilities - or rather, charging for what is now free.

I don´t know what the consequences of this Palladium iniciative will be - and I doubt Mr. Fritz knows it as well. I don´t see any advantage in it. It´s all about the money, I guess... How frustrating. :frown:

<i>aaahhh I just got it! Microsoft wants to rule the world... If they could get 10% of the chinese to legalize Windows, they´d sell 100 million copies of it! And if buggy, 100 million patches! And if incomplete, 100 million extra packs! :eek: </i>

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
<A HREF="http://www.chatarea.com/combatTCPApalladium" target="_new">clicky</A>

Certainly a title like "combat TCPA and palladium" is more appropriate for such a thread.

confoundicator

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
This is about more than money, it's about power and control. It's about polarizing the programming community and demonizing those that don't comform. If Microsoft decides to embrace this they will find out what every oppressive entity in history has found out. People like their individual freedoms and choices and will unite against somebody who tries to take them away.

But that's just what I think.

<font color=blue>-Toast always lands buttered-side down and cats always land on their feet. So what happens if you strap a piece of toast on the back of a cat and drop it?</font color=blue>

bikeman

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2002
I have only read the first few paragraphs of this document, so I don't know wether this is explained in the text or not, but am I right if I say that with this Palladium-thingie, only programs who require themselves to be verified, won't be able to run if pirated, and that other programs who really don't care (such als free- and shareware), will be capable of running?
If not, this would be really absurd. Indeed, amateur programmers won't even be capable of running their own-developed software on their own computer. I think this just isn't going to happen ...

Microsoft isn't <i>that</i> evil ...

Greetz,
Bikeman

<i>Then again, that's just my opinion</i>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
I hope crackers will make palladium a joke like "Product Activation" of Windows XP

All sorts of so called "protections" only increase sufferings of people who leagally purchase software.

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new"> My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new"> My Rig</A></b>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
the world is run by corporations.

if it ever does get like that, i will abandon PC's. and any other media that used rights management. even if it hits TV

there ARE other thigns to do that dont involve a monitor or tv (tv is a monitor)

-------

<A HREF="http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001355.html" target="_new">*I hate thug gangstas*</A>

bikeman

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2002
there ARE other thigns to do that dont involve a monitor or tv
Is there? Is there really??? :eek:

You are right, but I find it very hard to imagine a life without me using a computer ... Call me a nerd, or an idiot (which I am obviously not :tongue: ), but I think it's that way.

And now, back to "Significant parameters in Convective Heat Transfer" ... Joy ...

Greetz,
Bikeman

<i>Then again, that's just my opinion</i>