How Do I Delete Old Windows Files?

August 17, 2005 2:24:01 AM

I bought a new computer with a new hard drive and had the technician transfer
files from my old hardrive over to the new one. Now I have my old Windows
folder from before on there now and I wan to get rid of it. Problem is, it
won't let me delete some of the files.

It says that the files are in use, but that is not so because it's an old
Windows directory. How do I delete files like DLL's which don't want to be
deleted and aren't being used?

More about : delete windows files

August 17, 2005 4:29:03 AM

Wait...is the old Windows folder the only windows folder?

If so, dont touch it. You need that to run the OS.
--
To err is human, but to really foul things up, you need a computer.

"CC" wrote:

> I bought a new computer with a new hard drive and had the technician transfer
> files from my old hardrive over to the new one. Now I have my old Windows
> folder from before on there now and I wan to get rid of it. Problem is, it
> won't let me delete some of the files.
>
> It says that the files are in use, but that is not so because it's an old
> Windows directory. How do I delete files like DLL's which don't want to be
> deleted and aren't being used?
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 10:08:36 AM

CC Wrote:
> I bought a new computer with a new hard drive and had the technician
> transfer
> files from my old hardrive over to the new one. Now I have my old
> Windows
> folder from before on there now and I wan to get rid of it. Problem
> is, it
> won't let me delete some of the files.
>
> It says that the files are in use, but that is not so because it's an
> old
> Windows directory. How do I delete files like DLL's which don't want to
> be
> deleted and aren't being used?

Try see if this article helps:
http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/howto-delete-xp.html

I wouldn't recommend deleting DLL files unless you are 100% sure that
they are no longer needed. If you still insist on it, make a back up of
them somewhere or burn them so you can access to it later on if the
system every do need it.

--
Evolution54
August 17, 2005 3:35:35 PM

I don't believe you're running two Windows folders in C: Are you?

If not, don't delete anything in it!
!