New tricks for an an old dog

mikeymoo

Distinguished
May 24, 2003
Have got an old MB (MSI 6119, Intel BX at 100MHz) with a PII 350MHz (Slot1)running in it
Just bought a PIII 800Mhz (Socket 370), bought a FCPGA converter card, configured for voltage and speed, plugged it in and now it doesn't boot up. I haven't changed the voltage on the MB as there doesn't appear to be any DIP or jumper settings for it.
I haven't flashed the Award BIOS yet though.
Can anyone offer any help?

FO_SHO

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003
did you check your mobo specifications before you bought the CPU?? MANY old mobo's do not support specific CPU's. Probably that your current mobo does NOT support the P3. I know my old celeron system can go up to P2 600.

mikeymoo

Distinguished
May 24, 2003
Yep, have checked the manual and also the website (www.msi.com.tw) and it has support for the CPU was a FCPGA.
When i turn on the PC, there's no post, no beeps, nothing.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First things first, the first guy you talked to didn't know what he was talking about. Now read the first post in the Motherboard's forum, chances are a BIOS update will cure you, otherwise you may need to increase vCore to 1.80v, depending on your motherboard revision.

If neither fixes the problem, you have a bad CPU or bad Slot adapter. All Slot 1 boards were "PIII compatable". Even the old LX boards will run them with a BIOS update, but only at 66MHz bus. You have the BX, so an 800E will operate at full speed (an 800EB would only run at 650MHz).

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

FO_SHO

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003
were you talking to me Crashman??? If you were, YOU don't know what you're talking about. Cuase I got a slot 1 motherboard who begs to defer....

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Read the FAQ. I'm a refurbisher, I've seen just about everything. The only issues are BIOS and voltage. It's possible you have a crappy board with no BIOS updates available, such as a Compaq, IBM, or some fly by night company like PC-Chips. He has an MSI so it's not the situation.

I've upgraded nearly every type of board for which a BIOS update was available. For early boards, it's just a matter of VRM 8.2 supplying no less than 1.80v. Which means you have to use an adjustable Slotket to raise detected voltage to 1.80v, else use a Powerleap adapter with it's own VRM.

Asus had a problem with multipliers above 10x, but a beta BIOS is available for all their boards that fixes this issue.

Read the first post in the Motherboard's forum for the information you need. If your board never received a BIOS update, that would make it a rarity, one of the few instead of the many. Even old Dell boards support the Powerleap IP3-T and Celeron 1400.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Go with Crashman on this one. Even though my BX isn't supposed to support a PIII, it does. It just says PII in the bios, but Windows recognizes it as a PIII. The Speed is recognized correctly in both places.

Find the correct bios. Check other forums until you find someone who has your board and has done it.

<b>Is Nvidia cheating?</b>

<A HREF="http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,1086025,00.asp" target="_new">Extremetech says YES!</A>
<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.org/?article=9648" target="_new">Futuremark says YES!</A>

mikeymoo

Distinguished
May 24, 2003
Crashman, thanks for the advice.
I've update the BIOS and still no luck. I think the problem is voltage. The MSI, doesn't have any jumpers or bios settings in which to change the voltage. That's why I bought the Slot 1 converter in the hope it would select the voltage for me. The converter card says you're able to select the voltage, but because it's only a cheap card, I guess either the card's not working i.e. voltage selection or it's fried the CPU.
The plan now would be to get a "proper" slot 1 converter card, any recommendations?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Abit Slotket III is a great converter, but you can buy the similar Upgradeware Slot-T adapter for $20, and that one works with both Coppermine and Tualatin core CPU's.

If you do find you need 1.80v minimum by adapter settings, you can use a Coppermine at 1.80v without problems, but the Tualatins will usually burn out over time if set that high.

So you tried to change your vCore to 1.80v on the slot adapter and it still didn't work? I have a Slotket III I can let you have for $20 including shipping ($15 plus shipping).

mikeymoo

Distinguished
May 24, 2003
Tried changing the voltage on the converter card and it still doesn't work, which lead me to the conclusion that either the card is faulty or the I've burnt out the CPU!
Thanks for the offer of the Abit card, but I live in the UK, so I can probably buy a new one for the same price as the shipping costs. Plus, because it's Sunday tomorrow and a public holiday on Monday, I won't be able to get it until Tuesday!!

Turk

Distinguished
May 25, 2003
Have you checked if you have the blue sticker with an c on the mobo? Only then it supports 800 Mhz! I got this from the msi page:

MS-6119 CPU Support Status

Note: For Intel® Coppermine® CPU support, please check first if your mainboard have a blue sticker with the letter "C" located in the I/O chip, if yes, that means your system could support Intel® Coppermine® CPU. (The Winbond I/O chip is located near the Serial Port)

If you do have the sticker then you only have to change the right dips. For the dips check:
http://www.msicomputer.com/support/jumper/jumper_6119.htm

The link to the msi page about the sticker:

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/cpu_support/cpu/spt_cpu_detail.php?UID=105 &NAME=MS-6119

Good luck

Turk

mikeymoo

Distinguished
May 24, 2003
Thanks for everyone's help on this.
I ended up buying a cheap motherboard today. So I guess it's either a problem with the converter card or a problem with the mobo.
Everything works great now!