bad cpu (1700+)

namek0

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I first put this post in overlocked cpus, but I then realized that it wasn't overclocked at the time, lol:

I finally received my Athlon 1700+ in the mail today, and I was damn happy to find out that it was a B.

I popped it in my computer, switched the bus jumper, and fired it up. Nothing happened, all the fans powered on and hard drives, but the monitor never flicked onto the startup screen. I tried all sorts of things, like changing the jumper back, nothing worked.

The second I put the old cpu back in (Athlon 1.1ghz) it worked fine.

Is it very common to receive crap cpus? The RMA thing I read made me feel like it only happens to me. Another thing, about how long does it take without a fan/processor for a cpu to burn out? (totally not related btw, jsut wondering)

Thanks so much, and I pray to God my RMA goes through smoothly and quickly

forgot to mention, I got it from newegg.com

It's all good ^_^

FO_SHO

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003
about how long does it take without a fan/processor for a cpu to burn out?

??? You mean how long does it take without a fan on the heatsink for it to burn up?? Not too long though many computers have CPU shutdown features when they get too hot.

I've heard lots of bad Mobo's, but not alot of crap CPU's.

namek0

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I meant, if you have cpu in a mobo w/out a fan or heatsink on it, and you boot it up into normal Windows XP, about how long would it take to make a char mark? (if it would)

This is only my 2nd bad piece of hardware ever. My first was a cracked subwoofer, but it still worked anyway

It's all good ^_^

namek0

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
not really, I've got no clue what the deal is. Anyway, it's been RMA'ed, so it's up to newegg now, grr

It's all good ^_^

bronibbear

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2001
What model and vintage is your Motherboard? Many of the older socket A Motherboards won't run with the AXP CPU's. Seeing you were running the old 1.1GHz Athlon I'm assuming your board is of similar vintage this could be particularly worrying as boards of that age usually ran only at a 100FSB Max!

Go to your Motherboards manufacturer's website and see if you can find any CPU compatibility lists for it and if there's a recent bios update that might help.

namek0

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
It's an IWill KK266 plus, the website it can run all xps from 1400+ to 1900+

Anyway, if I can't get this workign, I'll be building a new ocmputer this summer anyway. I've been saving for forever, I'm tired of having 2nd-3rd generation stuff

It's all good ^_^

namek0

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Ok, I feel like a jackass now.

I went to the forums at Iwill's site, and pretty much found out that the kk266plus doesn't support the T-bred, just Palomino. My dumbass RMA'ed the cpu today quickly to beat the post office closing.

Yay, I feel like a total moron

It's all good ^_^

skligmund

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2002
Don't you LOVE it when you screw up like that!?!?!? I hate it too. I bet you can get it to work though, i got one to work on an A-Bit KT7E (KT133E). It didn't recognize the CPU without modifications though.....

So if you are willing to try it (unless you have found it won't work even that way on another forum) post here again, I'll probably be able to help you some.

What are we going to do tonight Brain?
The same thing we do every night Pinky; <b>Try to take over the world!</b>

taoranger2

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
did they say it was a t-bred b on the sight when you ordered it? Does anyone know where I can get one I want atleast a 1700. Please help.
Thanks
P.s need a water cooling system also..

namek0

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Newegg.com didn't say it was a B core, but me and my buddies all got B's. Sure it's a gamble, but it beats paying gobs for one that says it's a B

It's all good ^_^

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
Guaranteed 1700+ TBred-Bs at <A HREF="http://www.excaliberpc.com/default.php?cPath=178_186" target="_new">ExcaliberPC</A>.

<b><font color=blue>I agree with that solution ... because it is a logical one.</font color=blue></b>

bronibbear

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2001
We all make mistakes I had a socket A motherboard made by Jetway that I thought I'd done my homework on properly. Anyway to cut a long story short I tried to upgrade it to an AXP 1600+ Palomino only to find the same prob as you.

I went back to the web site and noticed that the board was split into revisions 1.0, 2.0 & 3.0 and the type of board you had could be found printed on it (in very small print) they where otherwise Identical!

Needless to say mine was rev 1.0 and the only one that couldn't run an AXP 1600+ I was spewing!

namek0

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Yeah, that's true. I came out of this learning a valuable lesson though, do your freaking homework

I can't really complain though, I got a free newegg case sticker out of the deal :p

And thanks for the link to http://www.excaliberpc.com I've never been there before
It's all good ^_^