Wondering if I am completely screwed................

Using Win XP Home Edition upgrade.160 GB HD, Athlon XP 2500+. I was
tweaking some settings. I wanted to get rid of log in screen after
booting. I have never set up a password, so all I had to do was hit
enter to get passed it. I forget what the hell I did, but next time I
booted, I got an administrator log-in screen. Seeing I have never
used a password, I just hit enter again assuming the same thing would
happen. Well it didn't. Instead I got a message that said, "unable to
log on because of an account restriction" I have tried a bunch of
passes that I have used on my computer in the past knowing it was a
waste of time, and it was. Only reason I am here now is because I
reloaded another hd, put on windows, and so on. Is there a way to
bypass the log in so I can get in, or is it a lost HD?

Cheers,
Sleepy

If you made a password recovery disk, now would be the time to use it.
There are third party tools that may help. I'm sure one of the regulars has
the links.
If all else fails, you can start from scratch...

--
For evil to prosper requires only that good men remain silent!
"Sleepyman" <dont@bother.com> wrote in message
> Using Win XP Home Edition upgrade.160 GB HD, Athlon XP 2500+. I was
> tweaking some settings. I wanted to get rid of log in screen after
> booting. I have never set up a password, so all I had to do was hit
> enter to get passed it. I forget what the hell I did, but next time I
> booted, I got an administrator log-in screen. Seeing I have never
> used a password, I just hit enter again assuming the same thing would
> happen. Well it didn't. Instead I got a message that said, "unable to
> log on because of an account restriction" I have tried a bunch of
> passes that I have used on my computer in the past knowing it was a
> waste of time, and it was. Only reason I am here now is because I
> reloaded another hd, put on windows, and so on. Is there a way to
> bypass the log in so I can get in, or is it a lost HD?
>

> Cheers,
> Sleepy

You might try holding the 'Shift" key down on boot up. It may bypass the
password box.

"Sleepyman" wrote:

> Using Win XP Home Edition upgrade.160 GB HD, Athlon XP 2500+. I was
> tweaking some settings. I wanted to get rid of log in screen after
> booting. I have never set up a password, so all I had to do was hit
> enter to get passed it. I forget what the hell I did, but next time I
> booted, I got an administrator log-in screen. Seeing I have never
> used a password, I just hit enter again assuming the same thing would
> happen. Well it didn't. Instead I got a message that said, "unable to
> log on because of an account restriction" I have tried a bunch of
> passes that I have used on my computer in the past knowing it was a
> waste of time, and it was. Only reason I am here now is because I
> reloaded another hd, put on windows, and so on. Is there a way to
> bypass the log in so I can get in, or is it a lost HD?
>

> Cheers,
> Sleepy

Tim

Ben. haha. good joke. you know that what you said is a joke right?
--
To err is human, but to really foul things up, you need a computer.

"Ben in Montana" wrote:

> You might try holding the 'Shift" key down on boot up. It may bypass the
> password box.
>
> "Sleepyman" wrote:
>
> > Using Win XP Home Edition upgrade.160 GB HD, Athlon XP 2500+. I was
> > tweaking some settings. I wanted to get rid of log in screen after
> > booting. I have never set up a password, so all I had to do was hit
> > enter to get passed it. I forget what the hell I did, but next time I
> > booted, I got an administrator log-in screen. Seeing I have never
> > used a password, I just hit enter again assuming the same thing would
> > happen. Well it didn't. Instead I got a message that said, "unable to
> > log on because of an account restriction" I have tried a bunch of
> > passes that I have used on my computer in the past knowing it was a
> > waste of time, and it was. Only reason I am here now is because I
> > reloaded another hd, put on windows, and so on. Is there a way to
> > bypass the log in so I can get in, or is it a lost HD?
> >

> > Cheers,
> > Sleepy

Not too sure if this is your problem but sounds like it to me.
1. Your turned off the Welcome Screen in user accounts.
2. After reboot you are presented with the classic logon
3. The username entered is Administrator

If all this is true its not really a problem but merely by design. You
cannot logon to normal mode with Administrator in XP HOme. Only in safe mode.

Perhaps remove Administrator from the username field and type in your real
username.